Old 08-15-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: FIDO
Default Ugh... Pearl (8100) vs iPhone vs Moto Q 9h vs JACK

Please Login to Remove!

Before I begin - The reason I'm posting this thread here, as opposed to other sites like howardforums, is because I'm looking for the blackberry user's perspective.

Well... I'm very disappointed by the pricing on the Bold on Rogers. I was willing to lose a very cheap promotional plan I got almost years ago and switch phone providers just to scoop it up. Unfortunately the student budget doesn't allow for a new 3-year contract, more expensive monthly bills, and a $399 + tax = $450 Bold.
That being said, I'll stick with Fido.

My options are keeping my Pearl, which doesn't seem practical given that I won't be able to have the internet on it (fido already tried billing me $750 bucks, I'm not sure if they'll bill me for using my pearl even if I'm on the $30/6 Gigs and I don't want to risk it again). I love my Pearl, it's ideal for me, aside from the 'net issue. It was also a gift from the girlfriend so there's some history and a story behind it. (your comments here)

The iPhone, which has a keyboard for typing SMS that really dissapoints me. I don't want to be 1 of millions of idiots to buy this thing simply because "its in", but given that I don't know much about the other phones, it seems my best bet. (your comments here)

Moto Q 9 h (your comments here)

Samsung JACK (your comments here)

I should mention I don't care for email via phone, I loved my blackberry's organizer. Having themes which allowed me to see upcoming events right on the display without having to access them separately. Surfing the net was great (until they billed me). I really enjoyed the small size of the pearl, and despite having big hands the keyboard worked for me. I'm hoping for your thoughts, opinions and ideas, possibly even some comparisons to the Pearl in this little 4-way showdown.

Thanks in advance! =)
Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

I should probably add:
I enjoy the ease of finding my contacts through my pearl's input, the ease of typing in email-length SMSs. Web surfing. The On/Off feature on both bluetooth as well as the radio, I would also want this for GPS and 3G. An applications list that actually displays 20 applications at once. The ability to show/hide some of my apps.

Really love all of the 3rd party software I can add to my Pearl as well, but I hear they'll be more development in iphone software as there will be more $ for developers to make by doing their work over there? Your thoughts?
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Lokheed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Rogers

The iPhone isn't just "in." It's "in" for a reason. Most people are wrongly caught up by the hardware when all that really matters is the software. The interface is the essential component and when it comes to interface design and aesthetics, Apple wins, hands down. But are they without fault? Absolutely not. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. But they are by far superior to the competition (Windows CE, Unix flavoured, and RIM). If you buy the Moto or the Jack, you are using Windows... and that's agonizing.

Because Fido doesn't support the BB, you really only have the capacity of the phone, and that's a waste. Given your choices, it's a no-brainer: iPhone. However, you should also take into consideration what kind of tether you want with your phone. If you have a Mac, then the iPhone will sync nicely (iCal, etc.). But if you are running Windows, then you may want to get the Moto or the Jack so that you can sync without any headaches.

There won't be more development for the iPhone, there already is... Check out the App Store through iTunes. Apple has always aggressively promoted 3rd party support in all their platforms...

With all that being said, I am partial to the iPhone. Maybe someone else can pump the Jack or the Moto... but if you are going to stick with Fido, then you are crippled on the BB.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:31 AM   #4
adri
Thumbs Must Hurt

Got offered a retention plan that would save me $17/month, but I can't grab it with the iPhone, doh!
Anyone else have opinions between the Samsung Jack II and the Motorola Q 9h? I believe the Q has better specs in terms of processor, memory, and storage.
Closed Thread