Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #1
Jonas Cord

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Unhappy Communications Error during Backup - Browser cache

Please Login to Remove!

I've been unable to complete a backup recently because I'm getting an error message during the backup. It says:

Communications error

The data was not recognized

by the device

This error message pops up at the point during the backup where apparently the Desktop Manager app is trying to backup cache data. There is a window labeled:

Transfer in progress

Receiving Browser data cache

When I close the error message box, the backup seemingly continues but there is NO *.ipd file for the date the backup was initiated on in the location picked for the backup *.ipd file to reside.

I've tried backing up with the Browser cache completely cleared & with data there. It makes no difference.

My BlackBerry is a Sprint 8830 with OS version 4.2.2.196 / Platform 3.0.0.85
Desktop manager is ver 4.2.2.12
Thanks for your kind help & prompt reply!

Last edited by Jonas Cord; 08-24-2008 at 06:56 PM..
Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
pkohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

The same thing was happening to me yesterday. My profile file must of got corrupted. I transferred my profile file from a 2 week old backup to my Curve and that seems to have fixed the problem. The backup profile file from last week would allow me to do one backup then I would get the error message on a second backup. When I used the 2 week old file everything seems to be fine.
You will find the thread I created here http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...rrors-out.html
Old 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Jonas Cord

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks pkohn for your reply. Sorry about the delay on my part in responding. I've been a bit ill.

EXACTLY what are you referring to when you said "My profile file must of got corrupted". I'm new at using a BlackBerry & I want to make sure that I 150%
COMPLETELY understand what you are talking about. So could you be VERY exacting in your explanation. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-26-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
pkohn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I am not saying it is your profile file. In MY case it was the profile file. I am suggesting you have A file that is corrupted.
During the backup process when it stops, Desktop Manager should say what file it is working on. In MY case it was the profile file and by recovering that one file from a previous backup (use the advance button on the DM backup and open a previous backup file and within that file you will file all the individual backup files. Move the individual file to the handheld.). It appears that my profile file got corrupted when I installed Wallstreet Journal News Reader.
Hope this helps. If I am not clear enough, let me know.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 AM   #5
Bru433
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Lots
Carrier: Rogers

Do a selective restore and choose everything except for Browser Data Cache database then save it.
Or you could just clear the Browser Data Cache database and then do a full backup.
Closed Thread