Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
Breakbleep

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default GPS on the 8320

Please Login to Remove!

Hey,
I'm new to this forum and have just orderded a new black curve 8320. This site seems to be opening up a lot of possibilities for my new phone (although I haven't recieved it yet). I'm in the UK and am not sure how things differ here compared to the US
I've never had a BB so am not really sure what they can fully do, but I do know that the 8320 doesn't have GPS capabilities. Contradictory to this I have read about people downloading software to the BB which allows the use of GPS...is this actually possible?
Also, I didn't realise you could download software to the device, which seems good. Do OS updates automatically download? One things I'm worried about is the fact that I've bought the BB on Orange, and have seen that people seem to have problems with Orange. I've got Unlimited BB, and Unlimited Data. I hope things don't go wrong with this!!

Anyway, Thanks for your advice, I'm sure I'll be back with more queries.
Adam.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:41 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

The software to use GPS and GPS are two separate things. You can use Google Maps, TeleNav and other applications but you will need a bluetooth GPS receiver if you want any GPS location information.

I use the Freedom Input Ltd - Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 bluetooth GPS receiver with my 8320 and love it.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #3
Breakbleep

Carrier: Orange

Cheers. Are the any advantages to google maps over the default blackberry maps? Also is streaming available from the internet through the wifi etc. Is video recording the sort of thing that could be added to the BB 8320s capabilities with OS updates? Sorry for so many questions.

Last edited by Breakbleep; 09-06-2008 at 06:52 PM..
Old 09-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Personally, I prefer Google Maps. Both are free and you can try them both and decide which you like better or use both.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:19 AM   #5
dleccord
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: T-Mobes

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The software to use GPS and GPS are two separate things. You can use Google Maps, TeleNav and other applications but you will need a bluetooth GPS receiver if you want any GPS location information.

I use the Freedom Input Ltd - Freedom Keychain GPS 2000 bluetooth GPS receiver with my 8320 and love it.
Hey I was wondering if you knew any cheaper alternatives that is also reliable as well. Thanks
Old 09-08-2008, 01:30 PM   #6
cctraderx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT, T-Mo

With Google Maps in the States, you are able to get an approximation of where you are because the program pings off of the nearest cell towers. This is a way to use it without a GPS puck and puts you in the general vicinity. Of course having the GPS would pinpoint your location and you could get the best use of the programs.
Closed Thread