Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
Moov

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: at&t
Default Beta users for Blackberry Netflix application

Please Login to Remove!

We need a few beta users for PhoneFlix, a Netflix client for Blackberry. If you are interested, please email us at [email address]. Please send us your Blackberry model number too.

Thanks,

NextMobileWeb Team
Old 09-29-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon

Netflix has a mobile version of their site already...just used it yesterday.

What are you doing and is Netflix involved?

Went to your site...your screen shot for the BB is not displaying...broken link.

I'm concerned about using your app to log into my Netflix account...providing my Netflix ID/password, etc.

Since this is a free app...what's in it for phoneflix...what's the play here? Just curious where this is going.

Last edited by Redflea; 09-29-2008 at 07:58 PM..
Old 10-02-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Moov

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

We're not affiliated with Netflix in any way. Recently Netflix contacted us to make us aware of their API, which was released today--so we may be using that shortly.

PhoneFlix for the iPhone is a top-100 app--users have found the application far more capable and useful than the mobile website--we think the Blackberry version is even faster.

We don't save your password, we simply pass it through to Netflix as any proxy server would. We do save your netflix login to make it easier for you to login without retyping it when your Netflix session expires. You can always logout at any time and then nothing will be stored. We will never spam you or share your address with anyone.

Yes, PhoneFlix is free. Phoneflix was build using our Next Mobile Web platform. At the moment we are going to release dozens of free apps for all mobile phones as we refine the platform.

Thanks for the alert about the broken link; it should be working now. We're a small startup based in San Francisco, please let us know if you have other questions by emailing us at bb(at)nextmobileweb.com. We should have more information about us on the website shortly.

Thanks,

Gary
Old 10-02-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
Redflea

Thanks for the detailed response, I appreciate it. The BB demo on the site looks very good.

Have you added the ability to re-order the queue yet? That's central for me...the main reason I use the netflix mobile site now is when I want to adjust my queue when I'm not near a computer and realize I have movies I've sent back w/out checking my queue to confirm I'm going to get what I want...

Last edited by Redflea; 10-02-2008 at 05:08 PM..
Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Redflea

Tried it briefly...comments:

After login you are left on a screen w/a large "log out" button and nothing happens. I waited thinking the screen would move on automatically after a few seconds to the home page of the app, but it just sat there and I had to choose the Home screen via the BB menu. Better if that logout screen moved on by itself, or better yet, never appeared...immediately after I log in, I don't want to see a log out screen.

When looking at movie detail (page w/the image, rating, etc.) the BB Back button didn't work consistently. The first several times I used it I was taken to a log in screen with user name and password fields. A few times later it started working normally. No idea why...but something needs looking at there.

On the movie detail screen standard BB navigation keys don't work - the trackball is the only way to move around in a page. You can't use 1 to go to the top, 7 to go to the bottom, 1 to page up, 3 to page down, or space to page down. Please enable those navigation aids on that screen...

On other list screens the keys take you through the items that match the letter(s) of that key. Unfortunately this means no page up/page down, which would be more useful to me overall than the letter keys, as I'm most often paging through lists of movies to see what's there, and if I'm searching for a specific movie by name I'll use your "Search" feature. On the "Top 100" list, for example, since the items are listed by ranking, there is no way to move through the list other than scrolling (and scrolling, and scrolling). Page up/down is really needed! So I'd suggest go back to standard BB nav keys on your list screens to allow easier navigation through the lists!

Overall the UI is simple to understand/use, and is responsive as you noted. Queue management isn't there yet, and as I noted, is the most important feature for me in a mobile netflix app.

Good start (I know this is a 1.0)...keep it coming.

The a
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
amutzmercier

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular
Default Pyxis Mobile Shows Off Mobile Netflix App

An internal developer contest at Pyxis Mobile has produced a mobile Netflix app for BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. The developers wrote no client code for this application, simply building the configuration in Pyxis Mobile's Application Studio

If you head over to the site and vote, this one might just be released to the public!

Last edited by amutzmercier; 10-09-2008 at 02:46 PM..
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moov View Post
We need a few beta users for PhoneFlix, a Netflix client for Blackberry. If you are interested, please email us at [email address]. Please send us your Blackberry model number too.

Thanks,

NextMobileWeb Team

I will try your app out as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutzmercier View Post
An internal developer contest at Pyxis Mobile
Should probably make your own thread
Old 10-13-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
hazmat47

Model: 8330
PIN: 319F5A72
Carrier: sprint

is the beta closed?
i am a netflix user and would like to try.....

PIN:319F5A72
Old 10-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #9
Redflea

I believe if you go to their site you can download it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
dduburon

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by amutzmercier View Post
An internal developer contest at Pyxis Mobile has produced a mobile Netflix app for BlackBerry and Windows Mobile. The developers wrote no client code for this application, simply building the configuration in Pyxis Mobile's Application Studio
Wow that looks great and it seems ready to go! Keep us posted if it becomes open to the public!

I want this!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #11
cwillis

Model: Bold

Go to "lab-dot-pyxismobile-dot-com" to download SmartFlicks, Netflix on the BlackBerry. Its available in BETA today. Go get it!

Sorry for the format. I'm new and it won't let me put up the link.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #12
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs down Searching

Whenever I search I get the following response:

Response:
Server Response too large.
MDS refuses to send response to handheld.

Anyone else having this issue?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:33 AM   #13
cwillis

Default We made a change to the config

We are not, for the time being, pulling back cover art in the search. That may be what is causing the issue. The average search (for instance, "Batman") has not shown that behavior, but bigger result pools seem to see a problem.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #14
Redflea

The link is:

Pyxis Mobile's Application Studio Lab

Not OTA...you have to submit an email address at that link to get a download link sent to you. :( :( :(

Why not just post the actual download link?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #15
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwillis View Post
We are not, for the time being, pulling back cover art in the search. That may be what is causing the issue. The average search (for instance, "Batman") has not shown that behavior, but bigger result pools seem to see a problem.
It seems to be working now. This is a great app I love being able to add movies to my que on the fly.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #16
Blackberry Guru
Thumbs Must Hurt

So I have search working but I just noticed that my uploads are all failing.

I tried moving locations, pulling the battery and retrying several times with no luck.

Error while uploading data. There has been an error communicating with Neflix. Please retry your request. SmartFlicks is BETA softwarre and we are still working out the kinks.

****I figured it out, it seems on the first attempt it acually succeeded even though it reported a failure. Subsequent attempts resulted in this message since the movie was actually in my que already.****

Last edited by Blackberry Guru; 10-17-2008 at 11:25 AM..
Old 10-18-2008, 02:52 AM   #17
BB8100
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ATT

This is essential software for Netflix/BB users. I am very impressed with the speed that this software loads graphic images and how feature rich it is. Very responsive software team also. Five stars,
Closed Thread