AstraSync from MailSite - Connect a BlackBerry to a ActiveSync Exchange Server

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

There is a thread on this in the main Blackberry Discussion forum here...I haven't seen any posts from anyone who's actually used it yet.
Old 10-17-2008, 09:05 AM   #3
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Thank you for sharing. I looks like something worth inquiring about in my opinion.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:12 AM   #4
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Saw this last night:

AstraSync Officially Released - ActiveSync For BlackBerry | BerryReview.com

Quote:
"So far the only user report I have seen is in a comment by IceMage on our original post. His thoughts:
Quote:
It seems that while AstraSync works FLAWLESSLY with your blackberry it has some very major drawbacks.

* First of all, it runs on the J2ME interface, which implies some slowdown, and loss of battery life.

* Second of all, it does not sync with your messages box, so you only get notifications from the program. The icon doesnt change when you have items waiting in your mailbox, and the red light does NOT flash when you have new messages that are unread.

* The major advantages is that it requires no BES server, read items appear read on your device, as well as on your mailbox (Outlook for example will show messages as read when you read them on your device.) It syncs calendar and contact items flawlessly, even though it does lack some fields, this isnt a big deal since you dont need most of them on your mobile device.

* It does not sync tasks or notes, but I cant think of any ActiveSync devices (that arent windows mobile based) that do.

Overall, very good, the major drawback is your inbox which doesnt support HTML email or attachments.
Thanks IceMage!"
Old 10-20-2008, 09:36 PM   #5
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

What am I missing here? I don't see a need for this program. I am on BIS (yes BIS, not BES)....connected to my exchange server using IMAP. I read a message on my BB and it shows as being read in Outlook. I delete a message on my BB and it deletes in my Outlook. POP3 will do all of this as well....the only reason I use IMAP is so my e-mails arrive instantly on my BB.....no 10-15 minute wait.

As far as OTA calendar...get the Google sync and do this for free.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:05 AM   #6
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Well
Not all of us are able to link to an exchange server via IMAP.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
garje.kedow

Model: Curve
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarrabr View Post
What am I missing here? I don't see a need for this program. I am on BIS (yes BIS, not BES)....connected to my exchange server using IMAP. I read a message on my BB and it shows as being read in Outlook. I delete a message on my BB and it deletes in my Outlook. POP3 will do all of this as well....the only reason I use IMAP is so my e-mails arrive instantly on my BB.....no 10-15 minute wait.

How does Google sync help me with my business calendar?

Please don't tell me that you put your business calendar out on Google, just so you can sync for free.

Nothing is "free". It may not have a monetary cost, but there are other costs associated with using Google too extensively. Read the ToS.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by garje.kedow View Post
How does Google sync help me with my business calendar?

Please don't tell me that you put your business calendar out on Google, just so you can sync for free.

Nothing is "free". It may not have a monetary cost, but there are other costs associated with using Google too extensively. Read the ToS.
Of course I did not put my business calendar on Google. I don't (unlike some I know) have an issue with plugging my BB into a USB cable for a few seconds at the end of the day. Just stating another option.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #9
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post

Well
Not all of us are able to link to an exchange server via IMAP.
It's been awhile since I connected via POP3, but I'm pretty sure you can do the same with POP3....mark Outlook items as read and deleted items as well......I could be wrong....it happens a lot.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarrabr View Post

It's called corporate integration for SMB -- many people run SBS and/or lower clusters of an Exchange infrastructure and do not buy into the costs associated with BES (hardware, software and service). The Astrasync solution enabled a BB device to sync contacts (something you just skip right over), corporate calendar (which is a group device, not standalone like your Google) and email Inbox over the less inexpensive BIS connection.

Windows Mobile, iPhone and other devices can already do all this (the iPhone is spectacularly well implemented, kudos to Apple) -- Astrasync brings this missing functionality to the BlackBerry and chips away at the nasty BES server infrastructure. The iPhone I am particularly impressed with, it's integration with an Exchange server is fantastic, easy and well done. The BlackBerry could learn some serious lessons here in usability and what people actually want -- Astrasync sees the same thing and is trying to do it from a 3rd party perspective.
Old 10-21-2008, 01:41 PM   #11
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop View Post
It's called corporate integration for SMB -- many people run SBS and/or lower clusters of an Exchange infrastructure and do not buy into the costs associated with BES (hardware, software and service). The Astrasync solution enabled a BB device to sync contacts (something you just skip right over), corporate calendar (which is a group device, not standalone like your Google) and email Inbox over the less inexpensive BIS connection.

Windows Mobile, iPhone and other devices can already do all this (the iPhone is spectacularly well implemented, kudos to Apple) -- Astrasync brings this missing functionality to the BlackBerry and chips away at the nasty BES server infrastructure. The iPhone I am particularly impressed with, it's integration with an Exchange server is fantastic, easy and well done. The BlackBerry could learn some serious lessons here in usability and what people actually want -- Astrasync sees the same thing and is trying to do it from a 3rd party perspective.
Thank you. I'll have to check it out a bit more. I see now where this would be appealing for those who are away from the office more then they are in it, and for those who have someone else adding appointments to their calendar for them.

And just for the record....I would not recommend anyone using Google (sync) calendar for business.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
mrtune
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Once they offer support for MS Exchange 2003, I will definitely try this out.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:06 AM   #13
marcop

Model: Storm
Default NotifySync

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtune View Post
Once they offer support for MS Exchange 2003, I will definitely try this out.
Notify Technology (makers of Notifylink) now have a new product called Notifysync. Think this is better (over AstraSync) as NotifySync interfaces directly to the device emailbox

look under http: notifysync.notify.net

and read below (Documentation and Beta testing Resources)

Echange 2007 and 2003 (yes they do both) already are released while they also will have support for Zimbra, Communigate and Kerio (those are still in beta)

Last edited by marcop; 11-08-2008 at 12:28 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
badgrs

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcop View Post
Think this is better (over AstraSync) as NotifySync interfaces directly to the device emailbox
Actually it doesn't, like AstraSync it has its own mail application.
Closed Thread