Old 11-17-2008, 09:37 AM   #1
AZA43
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up Storm vs. iPhone: 8 Reasons to Pick Each Device

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sure there are multiple Storm vs. iPhone threads on forums right now, but I just took a quick peek on the first pages and didn't see one, so I'm starting a new one. I realize this one could live in the Storm section, but it's really about the Storm and the iPhone.

These two articles offer eight reasons to pick the Storm over the iPhone, as well as eight reasons to pick the iPhone over the Storm. Some of the points in the stories are stronger than others, but both give you a fairly accurate view of the strengths and weaknesses of each device.

If I had to pick one of them today, I'd go with the iPhone because as the author states, it's a second generation product and Apple has worked through most the "hiccups" that often come along with new product launches. I am VERY interested in the Storm, too, but want to wait to read a few more early reviews before making any decisions...

BlackBerry Storm vs. iPhone 3G: 8 Reasons to Pick the Storm

Apple iPhone 3G vs. BlackBerry Storm: 8 Reasons to Pick the iPhone

AZA
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #2
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

I don't see how they can use the iPhone qwerty keyboard as a plus for the iPhone over the Storm. The Storm gives current Suretype users an option as well as a full qwerty keyboard for other users, and the portrait qwerty on the iPhone is so small, I can't type three letters in a row without making a mistake.

Also, how is fixed 16gb memory on the iphone better than the ability to swap 16gb cards and have infinite memory capacity on the Storm?
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #3
dpeters11
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjb0204 View Post
I don't see how they can use the iPhone qwerty keyboard as a plus for the iPhone over the Storm. The Storm gives current Suretype users an option as well as a full qwerty keyboard for other users, and the portrait qwerty on the iPhone is so small, I can't type three letters in a row without making a mistake.

Also, how is fixed 16gb memory on the iphone better than the ability to swap 16gb cards and have infinite memory capacity on the Storm?
The memory benefit on the iPhone is faulty. The way I read it, it says that the benefit is that you get memory out of the box, don't need to buy a card. I don't know about the other carriers, but at least with Verizon, it comes with an 8gb card in the box. So that's a moot point. If you had to buy a card, they may have had something.

Also, this article is more "why the iphone may be best for you", not "why the iPhone is better than the Storm." For some, the iPhone may be a better choice. If you have a lot of iTunes purchases that aren't iTunes Plus, you either have to get an iPhone or have a Storm and iPod. Nothing against RIM on this, Apple certainly wouldn't give the keys to that castle. In my case, I'll have a iPod Touch and Storm, both of best worlds, though I use a DRMless store for my MP3s.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I personally haven't used iPhone, but have used Touch Screen phone since 2000. HTC Phone from Asia and I personally hate typing on the touchscreen. No matter what kind of software I get to make the keyboard bigger so its easier for me to type, it's still no justifiable enough to get a Touch Screen anything. Now if the Storm were to have a slide out keyboard, let it be suretype or qwerty, then maybe I will consider it.

But after 8 years of Touch phones, those two aren't my thing. But just to make the topic more interesting, but then again, I am bias to the BB, I would take the Storm since I have lots of contacts on my BB Messenger.
Blackberry 8800 - Past
Closed Thread