Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra
Default eWallet for Blackberry

Please Login to Remove!

In case any others out there use eWallet, a Blackberry version has just been released.

This is a password/account management program that's been around for years, but never had synchronization between PC and Blackberry. It was available for Palm and Widows Mobile for ages.

Anyway, not making a case for this one versus others. I've been on this one forever, and am pretty psyched to finally be able to take my passwords with me again... Just spreading the word...

http://www.iliumsoft.com
Old 12-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
GadgetGuru72

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Anybody using this yet?

One thing that I cannot determine from the info on their website is whether or not the wallet file can be stored on the SC card.

Anybody know?
Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
casmer

Model: 9530
Carrier: ATT

I am using it as well. I have for a few years now on other platforms. Just installed it on my BB. I went looking for the file to see where it was stored and cannot find it anywhere, not sure if I am looking the right way or not.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:53 AM   #4
kjaslow

I'm hoping it's well hidden! I haven't been able to locate it. Definitely no option to specify where it's saved in the app preferences.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow View Post
I'm hoping it's well hidden! I haven't been able to locate it. Definitely no option to specify where it's saved in the app preferences.
It's encrypted, so why would you "hope it's well hidden"? Without the password, the file is pretty much useless. However, not being able to put your wallet file on the SD card means that you'll be taking up a lot of memory on the BB itself with the wallet file.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
kjaslow

If ever I lose the Blackberry (which I've done more than once over the years), I want all the valuable information to be inaccessible and destroy itself. It would be great if I could even send a PIN message to my device to blow it up! Short of a Mission Impossible style app that self-destructs... if that information is at least hard to find on the device then that represents a little bit more security.

Besides, I have about 200 items in my eWallet file, and still the file is tiny (at least the Desktop file is...I presume the BB file is no bigger). For data this sensitive, I don't want anyone to be able to locate it, just in case someone develops a program capable of decrypting eWallet files...
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #7
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted

Forgive my misunderstanding, but what is the diff with ewallet and the default BB "password keeper" ?
Old 12-16-2008, 07:22 PM   #8
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Wirelessly posted

Forgive my misunderstanding, but what is the diff with ewallet and the default BB "password keeper" ?
They are not really comparable, as the list of differences would be huge.

The two primary differences are:

(1) eWallet has a desktop component that allows sync'ing between BB and desktop. Without a desktop sync, the default BB "password keeper" is worthless to me.

(2) eWallet has user customizable cards that allow you to edit fields, etc., to customize cards to fit the desired information.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:51 PM   #9
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Wirelessly posted

Thanks for the info Gadget.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #10
dts5.1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

How does this compare to datavault?
Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 AM   #11
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts5.1 View Post
How does this compare to datavault?
[deleted]

Now that eWallet is finally released for BlackBerry, I've been using it for about a week now and I love it. I used it years ago on a Pocket PC, and it's still an amazing program.

[deleted]

Edit: I deleted my comments regarding Ascendo DataVault. It has been brought to my attention that certain features I thought were missing from DataVault are not, in fact, missing.

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 01-16-2009 at 11:19 PM..
Old 12-17-2008, 09:48 AM   #12
enrogue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72 View Post
Now that eWallet is finally released for BlackBerry, I've been using it for about a week now and I love it. I used it years ago on a Pocket PC, and it's still an amazing program.
How does it Sync the wallet file from the desktop client to the blackberry? Does it have a desktop add-in? Can the wallet file be copied onto an SD card manually (bypassing the add-in) and accessed from there on the berry?

Thanks!

EnR
Old 12-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #13
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrogue View Post
How does it Sync the wallet file from the desktop client to the blackberry? Does it have a desktop add-in? Can the wallet file be copied onto an SD card manually (bypassing the add-in) and accessed from there on the berry?

Thanks!

EnR
Although the desktop client for eWallet has a built-in sync feature, it does not work with BB (it only works with Pocket PC and Palm). For BB, they have an add-in that gets installed to BB Desktop Manager. You then go into your sync settings in DM and configure the add-in to point to your desktop file. The wallets then sync when you sync your BB using DM.

No, the wallet file cannot be copied to an SD card. The wallet is store on the BB itself. However, I have over 300 entries in my wallet and the file size is only 61kb.
Closed Thread