Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
zebo51
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: TAIL ON DONKEY
Carrier: Verizon
Default Phone Dialing

Please Login to Remove!

Coming from an 8830 to storm, I liked how on my 8830 I could just start dialing from the main screen and it would start putting in numbers and also below that start pulling up contacts to match the letters entered. Is there a way to set the storm to do this?

IE, say you hit 23. This would display 23 at the top, but then below that pull up any contact that started with E R. Or if you hit keys that weren't also numbers, then it would just start filtering down your contact list, like N I.

Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
Get Bit

PIN: N/A

I agree. That would be a nice feature.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
paulpo

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebo51 View Post
Coming from an 8830 to storm, I liked how on my 8830 I could just start dialing from the main screen and it would start putting in numbers and also below that start pulling up contacts to match the letters entered. Is there a way to set the storm to do this?

IE, say you hit 23. This would display 23 at the top, but then below that pull up any contact that started with E R. Or if you hit keys that weren't also numbers, then it would just start filtering down your contact list, like N I.

Thanks
Coming from an 8703 I thus far find dialing contacts and "speed" numbers on the Storm a chore. The voice dialing is practically worthless if the contact has more than 1 phone number. It takes longer to play 20 questions than to just dial the number.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
Rustproofcorn
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

i have my contacts on my front screen that accually works really good for me because i just click it then scroll to the contact i want.. as for voice dialing i just say "call Gene Mobile" or what ever contact you want and it works great you can say home or work as well ofcourse...
Old 12-13-2008, 06:26 AM   #5
arteanet

Model: Storm

It's called "quick dialing" and I too miss it. If you have contacts that you frequently access but don't want to add them to speed dial, I found an easy way to have them show up every time you access the phone. Simply edit each of your favorite contacts by adding a space in front of the person's first name. This will put that person at the top of your contacts list. In phone mode go to options>general options>initial view and change to Contacts. Now, all I do is hit the phone hard key and my most accessed numbers appear (or appear with a quick thumb scroll).
Old 12-13-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
paulpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
i have my contacts on my front screen that accually works really good for me because i just click it then scroll to the contact i want.. as for voice dialing i just say "call Gene Mobile" or what ever contact you want and it works great you can say home or work as well ofcourse...
I didn't know you could give a multi-part voice command like "call Kathy Home". Unfortunately it only gets it right about 30% of the time. The rest of the time is starts asking "did you say..." Thanks for the info though.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #7
Mikef1182
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: AT&T

I really do miss calling from the home screen. That was one thing that makes the Blackberry OS efficient.

Check out my blog: Mobile Mike
Old 01-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #8
jasoncolorado

Model: storm

I agree....does anyone know if an update is coming to fix this?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Gradiego

Carrier: VERIZON

Add me to the list. I miss that feature as well. Trying to scroll through 500+ clients isn't the easiest task. That would be near the top of my wish list on any new OS update.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
forumguy

This is one of the features a miss the most since I use it daily.
Here's my workaround for now:
* Press the phone button
* Press the 'contacts' icon - not needed if this is the default view
* Click into the find box
* Start typing the contact's name
* Finally dial the number

It's a little bit of a pain, does anyone have a faster - less keystrokes - solution?

Last edited by forumguy; 01-25-2009 at 11:20 AM..
Old 01-25-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
xmradiojunkie

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I use a program called PocketDay Start. It puts an icon on your home screen and you set up you photo id speed dials. When you click on a contact it brings up every number associated with that contact. Click one and your done. A "must have" in my opinion.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
esm54687

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Quick route to Contacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumguy View Post
This is one of the features a miss the most since I use it daily.
Here's my workaround for now:
* Press the phone button
* Press the 'contacts' icon - not needed if this is the default view
* Click into the find box
* Start typing the contact's name
* Finally dial the number

It's a little bit of a pain, does anyone have a faster - less keystrokes - solution?

If you hold the green phone button down for an extra second, it will pull up your contact list thus eliminating the need to click on the contact icon. Don't bother navigating to the "find" field... since your left thumb is already in the lower left corner, hit the "show keyboard" icon and start typing.... searches right away.

I have my default view in the phone app to be the call log and use the holding of the green phone button as a second view.

Last edited by esm54687; 01-25-2009 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-25-2009, 07:24 PM   #13
matt2meyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by esm54687 View Post
If you hold the green phone button down for an extra second, it will pull up your contact list thus eliminating the need to click on the contact icon. Don't bother navigating to the "find" field... since your left thumb is already in the lower left corner, hit the "show keyboard" icon and start typing.... searches right away.

I have my default view in the phone app to be the call log and use the holding of the green phone button as a second view.
GREAT shortcut esm! I can keep the green phone key default to Dial Pad and still ahve quick access to Contacts. Thanks for posting!
Closed Thread