BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
roveer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8350i
Carrier: Nextel
Default 8350i Texting (this might just fix it once and for all)

Please Login to Remove!

I have 2 BB 8350i's that suffered from no text unless you power cycled or cycled the radio.

After reading another thread about incorrect provisioning on the 8350i I called Sprint support and got Fred (a gravely voiced super confident TSR). I explained my situation to Fred and we did the following:

Verify the following settings:

Options, MMS

Multimedia Reception: Always
Automatic Retrieval: Always

Check Allow Delivery Confirmation
Check Allow Read Confirmation

Uncheck Reject Ananymous Messages
Uncheck Reject Advertisements

Here's the good part!!!

Fred said both my 8350i's did NOT have MMS provisioned on the phone and he added it and refreshed the phone. Said it was a little unique for the 8350i and that most were done incorrectly. This is along the same lines as the other post about not having something on our data plans that should be there.

I'm sure hoping that this will take care of my problems and only time will tell.

If you call into Tech Support make sure they check and see if MMS is properly provisioned on the phone and do a battery pull after they make any changes.

Report back and let us know what happens. I'll do the same. I was sitting here waiting for a new OS revision based on posts I had been reading. I'm hopeful that they are able to fix the problem with the steps outlined above.

Roveer
Old 01-05-2009, 05:20 PM   #2
roveer

Since I posted earlier today I have been texting back and forth with my other 8350i and both have been receiving the texts without a problem. That's 4+ hours which I believe is longer than I was able to before. This is encouraging.

If you are still having text reception problems, you might want to give this a try.

Roveer
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
FSUFAN1200
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

roveer>>>>> Thank you for the update!

I do have a question as well. Is there any way to stop the direct connect message from appearing in my message folder? When I direct connect someone, or they direct connect me, it's already logged in the call log list, and I don't want it in my message folder!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
roveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUFAN1200 View Post
roveer>>>>> Thank you for the update!

I do have a question as well. Is there any way to stop the direct connect message from appearing in my message folder? When I direct connect someone, or they direct connect me, it's already logged in the call log list, and I don't want it in my message folder!
Yes!!!

Click in your email icon, go to Menu, go to options, go to general Options and change "hide filed messages" to yes. This will get rid of the Blue DC messages.

The only downside to this that I have seen (and can easily live with) is if you have unopened email in a folder (I put my pop3 email in a folder on exchange, I'm a BES user), via a rule, and when I open that email it dissapears from my inbox. I can still see it in the folder by "viewing folders" so it's no big thing. Probably doesn't affect many unless they are heavily into folders and have BES. Otherwise hiding filed messages seems to fix the problem. I can't take credit, I learned of this one from a post early after the 8350i release.

Hope this helps.

Roveer
Old 01-05-2009, 08:40 PM   #5
FSUFAN1200
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

Thank you for the advice! I personally don't put any of my mail in a folder, I just read them through each e-mail account and leave the messages under each e-mail account icon.

Seems I direct connect all my workers, and heck after a 1/2 a day there are 100 messages from direct connects. Hopefully, this will give me some relief!

Thanks Once Again,

Matt
Old 01-05-2009, 11:40 PM   #6
zipher16
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint/nextel
Cool roveer

it seems to have worked i just tried what you said i sent a text with my wifes 850i and it went right through. I just hope this works i called tech support last week and they all the hoopla you said and it still didnt work lets hope this will fix it once and for all. thanks again roveer
Old 01-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
noobberry

Carrier: Sprint Nextel
Default Thanks roveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveer View Post
Yes!!!

Click in your email icon, go to Menu, go to options, go to general Options and change "hide filed messages" to yes. This will get rid of the Blue DC messages.
Roveer

That drove me nuts. Thanks for the fix.

Any GPS hints?
Old 01-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850
Carrier: Sprint

Sounds like you've got it figured out!

Were you getting any MMS at all? I am asking because it seems my MMS messages are often deleayed by several hours to more than a day. I wonder if this will work for me.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
roveer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamellis View Post
Sounds like you've got it figured out!

Were you getting any MMS at all? I am asking because it seems my MMS messages are often deleayed by several hours to more than a day. I wonder if this will work for me.
I could send MMS but only receive MMS for a short period after I reset the phone (either power cycle, or radio cycle). After that the texts would just pile up and get delivered after I cycled the phone. This seems to be a well documented problem on the forums, but until my dealings with Fred at Sprint yesturday there seemed to be no fix.

Roveer
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
lawden

Quote:
Originally Posted by roveer View Post
I could send MMS but only receive MMS for a short period after I reset the phone (either power cycle, or radio cycle). After that the texts would just pile up and get delivered after I cycled the phone. This seems to be a well documented problem on the forums, but until my dealings with Fred at Sprint yesturday there seemed to be no fix.

Roveer
Roveer:

Did you give it the ultimate test? How did it work after powering it off and then on again? That has foiled every one of my attempted fixes.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
zipher16

I tired it but it only worked for that day once it turns off it doesnt work here is something i read on another site it seems to be working so far hope it helps.

Who knows whatxxx8217;s going on with Nextel text messaging. As the 5 of you that have Nextel users know, text messaging has always been a pain in the ass if not damn near impossible on their service.

Well, you were hoping that text messaging would at least work SOMEWHAT better on the 8350i, but as approximately 80% of new 8350i users have found outxxx8230;not so much.

Do a quick google search of xxx8220;8350i MMS Problemsxxx8221; and see how many hits come up. Some people can send but not receive. Some can receive but not send. Some only can receive if they turn their device off and reboot it and then pending messages come flooding in. The stories go on and on and on.

I am going to break it down for you on how to get the MMS messaging to ACTUALY WORK on your 8350ixxx8230;however be warnedxxx8230;it may irk you a little bit on what you have to disable and enable and all of the hoops you have to jump throughxxx8230;however until Nextel and RIM get their act together and get this working correctly, we are here to hopefully save you SOME headachexxx8230;

So here we go..

1. On your 8350i, go to Options
2. Go into Advanced Options
3. Go to Applications
4. Once your Applications List loads, go to Docs2Go
5. Once Docs2Go is highlighted, hit the MENU KEY (donxxx8217;t press down on the trackball!)
6. In the menu, go to xxx8220;Edit Permissionsxxx8221;
7. Change all of the Permissions from allow to DENY
8. Press the back button and save your changes (It will prompt you to reboot, so go ahead and do that)
9. TADA! Once your BlackBerry powers back on, your MMS messaging woes are no longer! Send and receive text messages to your little hearts content!

Now youxxx8217;re asking xxx8220;WTFxxx8230;What if I use Docs2Go?xxx8221;. Well, the next time you go to use Docs2Go, itxxx8217;s going to ask to change the permissions, which you can allow, and then you will have to go back and click on Docs2Go again in order to get it to open.

Errxxx8230;But yeahxxx8230;Your MMS is probably going to jack up again, and you will have to go back and follow the above steps in order to get it back.

Yesxxx8230;A pain in the ass we knowxxx8230;However, we donxxx8217;t work for RIM (although as you see we should).

Wexxx8217;re gonna go pop open the egg nog now and follow Santa across the world on Google Maps.

Feliz Navidad!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:39 PM   #12
manofice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon

I don't get it, so these devices can't send SMS messages? Only MMS?

I called support and talked to BB support, the guy said if I send a MMS message to a user they will receive it as a SMS? Is this true?

Also i'm not really receiving any SMS messages... and I've tried everything everyone has offered.

The guy on the phone said it's a known issue but has no ETA...

I can't live without SMS texting so i'll probably switch back to my 8830, sounds like they rushed this device out...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #13
Steve66

I can't speak for others here, but when I send an MMS message from my 8350i to my wife's cell phone, she receives it as an SMS text message.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #14
manofice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve66 View Post
I can't speak for others here, but when I send an MMS message from my 8350i to my wife's cell phone, she receives it as an SMS text message.
I can't receive sms messages for anything and i've tried all the tricks, i had my wife send me one 5 mintues ago and had some friends send me some more than 1 hour ago and I haven't received any of them...
Old 01-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #15
zipher16

I have been trying everyone's suggestions about fixing the mms issues for the 8350I, and finally after some snooping around, i have found a way to make mine work perfectly everytime now for over 5 days. It may not work for all, But here is what I did:

go to the sprint site log in and go to online tools find the multimedia part and you'll find all your text messages there.

Login using your online account id and password

you will then see a complete list of every mms and sms you were sent for your 8350I. the nextel MMS system uses a basic email server. I believe the problem lies with the impact of 90,000 plus users getting new phones and overloading the system.

I began to forward a copy of the mms/sms messages to my blackberry email to let me know when I had a message. In short, this didn't fix the problem, But it let me know when I had a message waiting.

As I looked closer, I did find a way to create folders in the mms. I created 2 folders, labeled them "new" and "saved" when a message would arrive, I would move them to the folders I wanted to, since this was the only way I could organize until it worked properly. (until I did this, the server was not able to refresh my message list every time. It would often error out when i refreshed the message list.)

After about 4 hours, my messages starting flowing freely to my phone, and I was able to delete the folders. Going strong now for over 5 days with no issues.

The basic issue looks to be with the server(s) itself. Not the phone, That would explain users in certain areas not getting messages, while others across the country are getting messages with no issues. - Different goegraphical areas = different servers.

Good luck on gettting this to work for you!

I got this from another forum and right now this has been working for me for 2 days now.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
manofice
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipher16 View Post
I have been trying everyone's suggestions about fixing the mms issues for the 8350I, and finally after some snooping around, i have found a way to make mine work perfectly everytime now for over 5 days. It may not work for all, But here is what I did:

go to the sprint site log in and go to online tools find the multimedia part and you'll find all your text messages there.

you will then see a complete list of every mms and sms you were sent for your 8350I. the nextel MMS system uses a basic email server. I believe the problem lies with the impact of 90,000 plus users getting new phones and overloading the system.

I began to forward a copy of the mms/sms messages to my blackberry email to let me know when I had a message. In short, this didn't fix the problem, But it let me know when I had a message waiting.

As I looked closer, I did find a way to create folders in the mms. I created 2 folders, labeled them "new" and "saved" when a message would arrive, I would move them to the folders I wanted to, since this was the only way I could organize until it worked properly. (until I did this, the server was not able to refresh my message list every time. It would often error out when i refreshed the message list.)

After about 4 hours, my messages starting flowing freely to my phone, and I was able to delete the folders. Going strong now for over 5 days with no issues.

The basic issue looks to be with the server(s) itself. Not the phone, That would explain users in certain areas not getting messages, while others across the country are getting messages with no issues. - Different goegraphical areas = different servers.

I got this from another forum and right now this has been working for me for 2 days now.
I created two new folders, new and saved... and now i'm receiving sms messages! thank you
Old 01-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #17
Micha

Model: 8350I

OMG..ty ty ty ty ty this was driving me bonkers. I will see if this fixes the issue.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
zipher16

your welcome not a problem after a couple of days you should notice your mms comming through like water. mine started to work after doing this and when i called tech support yesterday they said there is still no fix yet so i guess this the fix.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM   #19
zipher16

did this work for you?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #20
Bamellis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9850

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipher16 View Post

You are my hero!! This actually worked for me!! YIPPEE!!!!
Closed Thread