BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 06:29 AM   #1
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless
Default Changing Servers-Is Wipe Necessary?

Please Login to Remove!

I use a hosted Exchange Server and BES. I am going to switch from one server to another (because I want to move from Exchange Server 2003 to Exchange Server 2007). After the migration of the mailboxes is complete, I know that I have to do a new Enterprise Activation of all the Blackberrys. My question is whether it is necessary to first do a Security Wipe of each BB, before doing the Enterprise Activation. It seems to me that if I do not do not wipe the BB's first, I will end up with duplicates and/or conflicts. I appreciate the response.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

How are you doing the migration?
Are you moving from one hosted provider to another?
Are you creating a new Exchange Organization?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Knocka
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T Wireless

I am not changing providers. However, I am on an Exchange Server 2003 and want to be on an Exchange Server 2007. My entire domain, therefore, is being moved to a different Exchange Server. It will require new profiles in Outlook to connect to the new Exchange Server. All Mailboxes will have to be exported from the existing profile and the imported into the new mailbox. The hosting company is going to perform this for me as an accommodation.

It is my understanding, therefore, that this move is tantamount to creating an entirely new Exchange Server. I know a new Enterprise Activation on all BBs will be necessary. I am simply unsure as to whether they have to be wiped first.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:30 PM   #4
gibson_hg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: NA
PIN: 80081ES
Carrier: NA

The simplest way to put it is if you have to get moved to a BES on a different database then your current you have to wipe the device.

The reason being is that the encryption keys will not match due to a hash key in the database. Regenerating a new encryption key will work either.

Ask the provider if you will be on a different BES database, if so, backup your device using DTM and wipe it. Restore any data that you may lose such as Profiles, Themes, emails, etc... All your PIM data, Address Book, Tasks, Calendar and Memopad will transfer during the activation. You will get the last 5 days worth of email or the last 250 messages, whatever comes first.

Hope that helps.
Closed Thread