BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #1
zduniak

Model: 8700f
Carrier: ERA
Lightbulb Requirements: background app, launch during phone start, GPS and GPRS notifications

Please Login to Remove!

Hello,

I am preparing for the development of my first application for
BB. This application needs to have network access as well as
access to the embedded GPS perfectly without any notification to the
user, or eventually only one notification during install time. Is it
something possible to achieve in BB ? Could you please point to some documentation about it ?

Other requirements that I would like to check first if they are possible to achieve in BB:

1. This application needs to be run in background.
2. The application needs to be started during phone start (so working as a service).
3. It must be possible to receive and read SMS (perfectly using dedicated port number, not using standard Inbox).

Are all of these requirements possible to achieve on BB ? Could you please point to some documentation (or keywords) ?

Thank you and best regards,
Marcin
Old 02-16-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

there is no way around the user allowing stuff on the phone. it is an integral part of the BB security concept.

In my world people want to know what is going on on their phone. And even in a corporate environment i would be very aware of civic rights.
Your application sounds like malware to me, i don't think that there is anybody willing to help you out with this unless you explain a lot more then you did.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
miskatonic

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.hain View Post
there is no way around the user allowing stuff on the phone. it is an integral part of the BB security concept.
Hi,

is there any doc talking about what can be done in BB and what not related to security issues?

I mean, those points this guy asks about, running apps in background, starting apps as a service or listening to sms, are not allowed due to security reasons or you mean that the idea of creating an app with those functionalities is what doesn't fit with blackberry security concept?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

There are a large number of tasks that (event signed) applications can do that still need user authorization. Sending and receiving SMS messages is one. When the app tries to start an inbound SMS port, for example, the system will ask the user to authorize that. The use can not authorize, authorize once or authorize for ever. Newer OS versions have the concept of a trusted application. The first question is does the user want to make the app "trusted". Trusted apps don't have to deal with getting authorization to individual services, but the user gets to decide, not the application.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
miskatonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
Newer OS versions have the concept of a trusted application. The first question is does the user want to make the app "trusted". Trusted apps don't have to deal with getting authorization to individual services, but the user gets to decide, not the application.
Thanks a lot for the answer

So, how can the user make an app "trusted"? Is it possible to create a trusted app by code?

As you may know, i'm quite newbie in bb world, and I'm trying to figure out what sort of app is possible to make for a bb...
Old 02-17-2009, 04:33 AM   #6
foreverwave

Carrier: TMOBILE

facepalm. what would be the point if you could circumvent it via code???
Old 02-17-2009, 05:09 AM   #7
miskatonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwave View Post
facepalm. what would be the point if you could circumvent it via code???
Thanks for your answer...

Maybe in a corporative environment, your company wants you to have certain app in your enterprise bb, without asking for permission to the employee... don't know.

So, i guess is not possible via code. How can a user make an app "trusted" then?

Regards
Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

When you first start the application, the OS pops up a dialog asking the user if s/he wants to trust the application.

Check out the API documentation for net.rim.device.api.applicationcontrol.ApplicationP ermissionsManager

But remember, this API allows the application to request permission, it does not grant it automatically.

Last edited by hrbuckley; 02-17-2009 at 07:34 AM..
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
miskatonic

Thanks a lot, I'll check that
Old 03-02-2009, 12:47 AM   #10
vmurali

Model: 8310
Default Background App to run, without entry in catalog

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post
When you first start the application, the OS pops up a dialog asking the user if s/he wants to trust the application.

Check out the API documentation for net.rim.device.api.applicationcontrol.ApplicationP ermissionsManager

But remember, this API allows the application to request permission, it does not grant it automatically.
Hi

I am commissioning a custom application, which we hope to get signed by RIM, for a customer. There's an NDA, so can't reveal too much here.

Here's our situation. We want an app to run in the background, after seeking user's authorization, including the service's TOC. Thereafter, we don't want it to either be stopped by the user nor do we want it to be user-deleted via a GUI on the phone.

Is this possible to achieve in 8310 and 8330 series Curves?
Thanks much.
Vishnu
Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM   #11
Ananthasivan V K
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Airtel

Hi Murali

I think the first part you can do by some methods (restrict user from stopping the app), But I think you cannot do the latter, i.e, you cannot force hiding the app from the phone gui, where it will be listed for the bb user to decide if he can continue using or whether he can delete it.
Closed Thread