BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
hyperazn29

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Instant Messaging with SMS instead of Data Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Just got my 8900 and I'm not able to sign onto AIM Instant Messaging or Yahoo! (Error: Service not enabled for this handheld). I have unlimited texting and no data plan. Also, I have the Blackberry Feature Enabler which should allow me to send MMS, IM, and T-Zone for free. T-Mobile's website states in three different places that a data plan isn't required for IM. My old 8700g allowed me to IM with SMS, but not my 8900. Any suggestions? T-Mobile customer service is worthless. Any 3rd software that will allow instant messaging with SMS?

Thank you in advance for any input,

Duke
Old 02-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
DeoreDX
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mo

What you want is the OZ Instant Messenger program that is exclusive to Tmobile blackberries. it uses SMS text for AIM, Yahoo. I have no idea how to get it on your device though. I would try a call to blackberry support and see if they can send you a service book for it.

Last edited by DeoreDX; 02-19-2009 at 11:38 AM..
Old 02-19-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
JoeIndy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

You might try resending your service books. Don't know if that'll fix it, but it's worth a shot.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

I used to have my offline IMs forwarded as texts to my cell phone, before I had a BlackBerry. It was easy to set up on the individual providers' sites. Do they not do that any more?
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
hyperazn29

Today I have spent a total of 2.5 hours with 4 different reps at Tmobile Blackberry support. After numerous tries, I was told that OZ Instant Messenger was not available for the 8900 (or 8800's series). The funny part is tmobile.com advertise Instant Messaging should work with SMS texting 3 times on their site.

Instant Messaging Info
"You can send and receive instant messages throughout the US for just $0.20 each or choose a Domestic Messaging Value Bundle to save even more."

Unlimited Domestic Message for Families Description
"Send and receive any type of message you want, in any combination you want. Text, IM, picture, or video messages--it's up to you! And the best part is one bundle covers up to 5 subscribers on the same FamilyTime plan so you only need to buy one!"

BlackBerry Feature Enabler Description
"This no cost feature allows customers with certain Blackberry devices who are not signed up for BlackBerry service to enjoy phone features such as Picture Messaging, Instant Messaging and t-zones."

DeoreDX - Thanks for the OZ Messenger suggestion.

Duane - I can get the IM's forwarded to my phone, but I don't get the nice interface and the ability to see who's online.

JoeIndy - I'm not entirely sure how to resend my service book, but I'll search the forum for instructions. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Duke
Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 AM   #6
brandnewsimmy
Thumbs Must Hurt

I always thought the AIM on the phone worked without a data plan. To resend the service books just go into 'Manage Internet Email' then you will see 'Service Books' click that and then 'Send Service Books.'
Also maybe try, even though it already should be, downloading the newest AIM and installing it with desktop manager. The newest version is 2.1.41. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Java

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperazn29 View Post
BlackBerry Feature Enabler Description
"This no cost feature allows customers with certain Blackberry devices who are not signed up for BlackBerry service to enjoy phone features such as Picture Messaging, Instant Messaging and t-zones."
Duke
How do you access the BlackBerry Feature Enabler or access instant messaging without a data plan?
Old 06-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

You can get the Feature Enabler without a data plan. As far as I am concerned (read - I won't argue with anyone and don't care what others have read or posted), it gives you MMS and T-Zones. Not IM.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #9
jhayesvw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

on my pearl 8100 i have OZ messenger and NO DATA PLAN. i had tmobile enable the blackberry feature enabler and sure enough, i could do AIM no problem.
so, i went like that for a year or so and then upgraded to the 8320 Curve. it has NO OZ messenger. i still have the feature enabler on my account. i have tried for MONTHS to get OZ messenger. i have been unsuccessful.
however, if blackberry knows how to get it, please inform me. I will call them ASAP.
this is the ONE thing i dont like about the curve.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
jhayesvw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

ok. i figured it out.
i took the OZ messenger and transferred it from my 8100 pearl using DM to my 8320 Curve.
it works great.
and i have NO DATA PLAN. i just have unlimited text and the feature enabler.
proof positive that the feature enabler allows IM.
Closed Thread