BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:47 PM   #1
BlueP

Model: 7100i
Default Nextels response to 7100i and ringtones - FWIW

Please Login to Remove!

After going around and around with people on the phone, I emailed Nextel this afternoon. I recieved this response back within an hour.

Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for contacting Sprint Together with Nextel Online.

I do apologize for the problems you have recently experienced with your
BlackBerry phone.

Nextel has set up a special group to support all BlackBerry requests, and
your request has been sent to this group.

Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact us at: https://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASA...erCareServlet/

Thank you for using Sprint Together with Nextel Online.

XXXX
E-CARE
Sprint Together with Nextel

Heh. We'll see.

Last edited by jibi; 10-23-2005 at 05:52 PM..
Old 10-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #2
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

edited your link so it would actually link, in case anyone else wanted to email them.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
BlueP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
edited your link so it would actually link, in case anyone else wanted to email them.
Thank you. I hadn't noticed it didn't come out right.

Cheers.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
JDWallace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Oh they are SOOOO getting an email from me about some ringtones!!

www.breachbangclear.com
Old 10-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
My_Blackberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100I

i have called nextel and they didnt even understand what i was talking about. i hate them. it says it can do ringtones then why cant it? do i have to put the old 711 series software in to get the .adp ringtones?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

no other version of software will work on your 7100i. it will not play .adp ringtones. as soon as NXTL and RIM give you the .wav file support functionality, it will be better than the .adp ringtones.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #7
Geo81

Model: 8830
PIN: 32BF8714
Carrier: Verizon

Hopefully they will reveal the answer to this.....
It would be nice to hear music tones again.....

BB8830 (Worldwide)
BB7130e RIP
[email address]
Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
My_Blackberry
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100I

yes i hear ya. i hope nextel and rim get on the ball. why release a phone and not release how to get ringtones onto it?
Old 10-24-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
purephase

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell

As I've said in another forum, I seriously doubt that ringtones are top on RIM's priority list when they work on software and hardware. Most of their customer base are business users and could care less about these features (personally, my BB is always in vibrate so ringtones do not mean a thing to me -- as is most of my co-workers).

BB's, even the 7100 series, are not really geared towards personal use (which is why they are not marketed that way) and yes, while it is a nuisance, I wouldn't really expect this "issue" to be resolved anytime soon.

Good luck though. The email to Nextel is definitely the way to start (instead of the numerous threads on the subject) and hopefully something will come of it. I just wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:32 PM   #10
fliedlice

Model: 8700G
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
BB's, even the 7100 series, are not really geared towards personal use (which is why they are not marketed that way) and yes, while it is a nuisance, I wouldn't really expect this "issue" to be resolved anytime soon.

dont even get me started on that.....im not sure how you can come to the conclusion that that is 100% true....I will admit that yes the blackberry still isnt fully marketed to your average user but there also not just for execs and buisness people....
Old 10-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

fliedlice, ATTWS was testing the waters on the 7100 by watching other vendors. The 7100t became surprisingly popular for TMO, accounting for 25% of all their 2004 BlackBerry hardware sales within a couple of months. The biggest concern for all of the carriers was the costs involved with the added support of a consumer-directed smartphone. Its an understood concern as their support costs have increased quite substantially, to my knowledge.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #12
purephase

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliedlice
dont even get me started on that.....im not sure how you can come to the conclusion that that is 100% true....I will admit that yes the blackberry still isnt fully marketed to your average user but there also not just for execs and buisness people....
It's not 100% true, as they are making inroads into the consumer market (clearly), however, I would estimate that over 80% of their market is comprised of business users.

In larger organizations you typically have RIM certified engineers that support the devices internally. RIM also focuses heavily on integration with existing enterprise email systems (Exchange in particular) and you will most likely never see a camera/mp3 player on a BlackBerry. Why? These are business devices. They are used by the military, police, and politicians. Corporations order them by the 100's (in some cases, probably 1000's) so yes, you could say that they are not necessarily for business people, but the vast majority of their user base is and that is why features like ringtones etc. are probably not a major concern for RIM or Nextel.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:30 AM   #13
BlueP

Quote:
Originally Posted by purephase
As I've said in another forum, I seriously doubt that ringtones are top on RIM's priority list when they work on software and hardware. Most of their customer base are business users and could care less about these features (personally, my BB is always in vibrate so ringtones do not mean a thing to me -- as is most of my co-workers).

Good luck though. The email to Nextel is definitely the way to start (instead of the numerous threads on the subject) and hopefully something will come of it. I just wouldn't hold my breath.
I can see your point (and I don't agree at all with it) but the biggest gripe I have with the situation is the BB was sold to me and I was shown a Nextel salesperson pitch sheet which specifically listed ringtones as a feature. It even had a side by side comaprison of the 7520 and the ringtone column had a check mark under 7100i.

I upgraded from i275 because I needed the BB for work. I used the i275 as my personal and business phone. The ringtones are a great way for me to tell which call are business and which are personal. (Or who I want to talk to and who I don't) I don't care that you don't use it or your co-workers don't use it. I do.

Nextel and RIMs lack of response (Yes, I emailed RIM also) is disappointing. RIM, I haven't even gotten a canned response from. Nextel only the above email. Considering the monthly cost of the BB over the 1275 with data plan, I guess I expected more of a response from both Nextel and RIM.

It shouldn't matter who or what specific group the product is geared toward or who is using it. I'm paying for it and I expect it to work as advertised. Or maybe I'm just old and remember when companies were more customer serviced oriented.

Heh. I'm probably just old.
Old 10-25-2005, 01:58 AM   #14
purephase

I agree that you should get what you paid for which is why I recommended emailing Nextel. They are your service provider, they are the ones that decided that ringtones should be feature in their sales brochures, and they (supposedly) trained their sales/support representatives to deal with customer service. BlackBerry's are expensive devices, yes. The data plans are extremely expensive (in comparison with other devices) because the support costs are (as jibi mentioned) very high for business oriented devices when they are moved into the regular consumer market.

I hope you find a solution, I do. I even helped some people both here and HoFo (before things got out of hand) with what I picked-up browsing through these threads. Unfortunately, there is no known solution to the ringtones issue (that I've seen) for the 7100i BlackBerry. Creating these threads, and continually arguing about the lack of support from either RIM or Nextel just wastes peoples time.

If it is a big enough issue for RIM or Nextel to work out, then it will. However, my point earlier is that I do not believe that this is a feature that the majority of BlackBerry users care about and although, yes, it will probably be fixed (or a solution will be found) just don't expect it soon. Just my two cents. I hope I'm wrong since I don't like anyone not getting what they paid for.
Old 10-25-2005, 03:37 AM   #15
bigolyt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Not sure what everyone is talking about... my BB has ringtones... granted they are lame, still ringtones. Im surr we could go about using any Midi file for a ringtone on this phone, but who wants that. FYI a Midi is still a ringtone as well...
Old 10-26-2005, 04:06 AM   #16
chris5h
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Nextel

Interesting note:
I have tried MANY variations on ADP, WAV, AMR, and MP3 formats, and all give me the same error (unable to open in this browser blah blah blah)...

Now for laughs, I renamed the extension on my server of a .wav file to .mid, and opened it. It downloaded the file (all 4.7kb) and tried to open it, and this time gave me an error saying "UNable top Open File" so it appears that the problem is not a specific bit rate of a WAV (or something to that effect) but rather the format is wrong. It looks like it needs to be something different than AMR, ADP, WAV, or MP3.

If anybody has something they would like to try, I hosting I can use to help try it.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:08 AM   #17
hi-tech
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: SprinTel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5h
Interesting note:
Now for laughs, I renamed the extension on my server of a .wav file to .mid, and opened it. It downloaded the file (all 4.7kb) and tried to open it, and this time gave me an error saying "UNable top Open File"
That was the first thing I tried when i read the other posts last week....lol... We either need an upgrade to the browser to support .wav files for download... or some other method to xfer the files to the BB.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #18
jibi
BlackBerry God

chris, perhaps you are right, however...

if you open net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_tunes7100i.c od in a text editor, you will see the following:

Code:
$Řaudio/midi   $Řaudio/x-wav
it also has filenames such as Notifier_Sonar.wav and Notifier_UFO.wav. now, from previous experience with the Oki ADPCM ringtones, the above MIME types are what is supported by the built-in Media Player.

from net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_tunebundles_midiadpcm2.c od:

Code:
$Řaudio/midi   $Řaudio/x-oki-adpcm2
from the 4.0 net_rim_bb_profiles_tunes_builtintunes.cod:

Code:
$Řaudio/adpcm   $Řaudio/midi
hope that makes sense. it appears that it only supports audio/x-wav, which is the MIME type for a standard .wav file...
Old 10-26-2005, 05:26 AM   #19
jibi
BlackBerry God

to add, i put up quite a few .wav files in another thread. here's the legible part of packet from downloading one of those files:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 04:10:44 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 20:11:41 GMT
ETag: "dff9f0f9-5e38-43594b7d"
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 24120
Connection: close
Content-Type: audio/x-wav

RIFF0^..WAVEfmt ........@...€>......dataČ]..€€€€€€€€€€€€€

You will notice the 'Content-Type' is the MIME type which is audio/x-wav. The RIFF, WAVEfmt and data parts are all required tags within a standard wave file header (in this case, its the start of the wave file).

I think you are correct - the browser doesn't recognize the audio/x-wav MIME type. My hunch is that the browser is only configured to accept the audio/midi MIME type, thus why your test with the renaming to .mid worked just fine. I'm sure you could rename it as .jpg and have the same thing happen. The issue is the fact that the Media Player supports .mid and .wav only, so even if it was another extension and MIME type that was supported by the browser, the media player would not know how to load it up, thus it wouldn't work.

To be honest, I think this is simply an oversight on RIM's part in the early code of the software. I would start logging daily calls and emails to NXTL and RIM about the issue until it becomes too much of a burden that they either address the problem or issue a statement/SDR for it. The carriers have a LOT more influence on having issues fixed than RIM, but you all will have to log enough calls to NXTL before they'll even bother submitting a ticket request over to RIM for this issue, imo.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 PM   #20
sonnyboy

Default # to bb

does anyone have a direct # to the bb 7100i manufact so i can ask how in the hell can real tones get put on the bb for nextel?? i feel left out, only the 7100i cant get em, but everybody else can, thats bull!!!!!!!
Closed Thread