BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
micberry

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Unhappy Speaker interference after "SOS" connection display???

Please Login to Remove!

I bought my Bold in mid January and everything was working great. I have AT&T of course and had just switched from the 8703e from Sprint. I never had a problem with my previous blackberry.

I usually leave my Bold on the desk. I had not received any calls or emails and through there was a network problem. When I looked, the network displayed no bars with an X and said "SOS". I have no idea what that means. I powered the phone off and back on. Still the SOS was displayed. So I removed the battery for a minute and then powered on. When the blackberry reset, I was again connected to the network and received all data.

However, now I am getting massive feedback through my computer speakers, when when the phone is across the room (about 10 feet away from the speakers). I even get this interference when the speakers are powered off! This never happened prior to the "SOS" connection display. My blackberry USB plug is beside my speaker and my phone has always been plugged in. Did not have the speaker interference. I have tried to reset it a couple times with no change.

I have turned the WIFI setting on and still receive the speaker feedback when sending/receiving data.

Does anyone know what the "SOS" connection is, what caused it, and why after that happened I am getting speaker interference?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

SOS means no signal and can make emergency calls only (i.e. 911)
no idea what caused it, cept maybe the closest tower was down for a few minutes.
and no idea why it would cause interference only after that

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-01-2009, 06:42 PM   #3
DennisLocke
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (VZW 8830)

From what I've seen AT&T devices have a greater tendency to generate speaker noise than the other carriers. Nextel direct connect used to be the worst. With regard to the SOS signal, I've seen this happen when I have a weak signal and go in and out of coverage over a period of time. As you found the battery pull usually resolves that issue. Good luck.
Closed Thread