Old 03-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
Rowdie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default White-out Lock out?

Please Login to Remove!

Anyone ever heard of an issue with storms refered to as "White-out" or lock-out?

Story goes, we have six devices. I try my best to keep the other five computer illiterate folks working. So I get this email that a user has had this "White-out" lock out problem for weeks and it happens multiple times a day and she has been to two verizon stores and they don't want to help... and so on.

So here I am searching all over for what issue she might be talking about and I can't find a reference to a "White-out" problem anywhere. She quoted it just like that, as if she got the term from the Verizon rep or something?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Huh? White out?

You can't see the device, I guess, to describe it in more detail.

If the screen is white, tell the user to remove the battery (leave it powered on) for a few seconds, replace and reboot. If it continues, upgrade the OS on the device.

Also, the lockout part--does the device lock and become non-responsive on the white screen? You might check the moisture indicators on the device.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
Rowdie

I wish I knew more details. No I haven't seen the device or the lUser since the report. They're reporting is not the best.

OS upgrade is what she's requesting.

I'll have to chuckle if it got all wet. Of course I'd expect the two verizon stores she went to would have checked that.

Thanks.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

I would think they would also.

You need to get more info from her.

A black screen with the red blinking LED can be common to a device that has encountered issues. Usually, that requires a JL_Cmder wipe and OS reload.

A whitescreen lockout though could be similar, but never seen the white screen.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Rowdie

I'm on it.

Chances of this being a user error unclear. Chances of comedic outcome 63%.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:41 AM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

lol

Post back and let us know.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #7
Baggarly
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: Worms

Could it possibly be that she has had too many invalid password attempts? I've seen devices lose all color once they have exceeded the number of acceptable password attempts. Actually I've done this myself late in the evening after a few brews! Fat fingers and beer goggles get you white screened 95% of the time!
Old 03-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Entering the PW incorrectly too many times SHOULD give you a warning and eventually a device wiped of all personal data, contact, mail, etc. It should not give you a locked-to white screen.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
CO_BBTechie
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

FWIW, I had noticed, for the couple weeks I carried the Storm, that I was getting a white screen upon unholstering the device. Any key/screen press would result in the expected menu to display, but the white screen was what I got first perhaps 70% of the time. It did not seem to have any ramifications whatsoever, so I did not diagnose further at that time. Subsequent OS levels did not reproduce the problem.

This was experienced @ OS level 4.7.0.75.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Rowdie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
FWIW, I had noticed, for the couple weeks I carried the Storm, that I was getting a white screen upon unholstering the device. Any key/screen press would result in the expected menu to display, but the white screen was what I got first perhaps 70% of the time. It did not seem to have any ramifications whatsoever, so I did not diagnose further at that time. Subsequent OS levels did not reproduce the problem.

This was experienced @ OS level 4.7.0.75.
Interesting.

I was coming to the conclusion that "White-out" was a term she was using for the random restart issue. Because she can not reproduce the issue, it's really hard to say.

Her husband has the same phone and she's been taking it to verizon stores so there's no telling what they might have done to it. I should get my eager fingers on it today.

This could be anything from some messed up app she's installed, to the restart problem being really bad for her, reason? to... well I'm pretty much open for just about anything having worked with this group for a long long time.

Quite possible hubby researched the problem and installed some battery pull app that's not configured correctly or is not functioning properly. I haven't messed with one, but from what I understand he could easily have configured the thing to restart multiple times a day, no? Add to that the usual number of random restarts and you're up to all kinds of "issues"

Thing is she's smart enough to remove the app before I get the phone.

Yes, that is very counter productive. It's like lying to your doctor.

I think I can look at the BES server and see if she'd done such things. The phones report a status which I think may contain all apps installed and the log will record if an app was installed and removed. ... I think.
Closed Thread