Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA
Default USB over Network with Unite!

Please Login to Remove!

The original thread was about running Unite on a VPS, but for info I run my office Unite server on a VMware server guest. I just recently upgraded to VMware server 2 for the USB 2.0 support, but I couldn't get one of the devices (an 8830) to connect with Unite after the upgrade. FabulaTech has a software product for USB over Network, and they offer a 15 day free trial for one device.

I installed the server component on my WinXP desktop, and the client component on the Unite VMware (WinXP) guest and voila connected and configured. That alone is probably worth the licence fee. The server can be configured to auto share devices when they are connected (be careful not to share your mouse and keyboard or you will loose control of your PC), and the client can be configured to auto connect to any devices shared by servers it is configured for. Set up like this, plugging a Blackberry into my desktop results in it automatically connecting to the Unite server.

I don't see any reason why this would not work with a hosted virtual server as well, and with a 15 day free trial there is very little to loose.
Closed Thread