Old 03-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Daphins

Model: NONE
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NA
Default Looking to Get a BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Hey All,

I graduated a year ago and have my old plan expiring (thank god) and am strongly considering getting a BlackBerry. I've done some looking but it seems that I've ended up with more questions than I came in with :P I was wondering if a few of you could answer my questions....

1. What're the advantages of going with other carriers over Verizon?

2. I travel a lot (here and abroad) and am considering getting a phone what will work here and in Europe. Will the Storm do this?

3. There's been a lot of information (and misinformation) about posted about the net concerning the GPS lockdown by Verizon. I'm hoping to get a phone that will replace my Garmin in one handy device (not going to pay for Verizon's application) what are my options for an accurate application (if available) that will offer turn by turn navigation?

Any other input is incredibly welcome. I had a Q for a bit and really liked it and am hoping ot make this phone my link for the forseeable future. Need it to work reliably in the Midwest and on the west coast. Sure the Iphone is cool but it's only on AT&T and I worry that it won't be secure enough for my business needs.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-08-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

IMHO, using a handheld phone/BB/PDA will not replace a true stand alone GPS. First of all, there are very few apps that will give you turn by turn, voice commands and auto reroute (especially on a BB). Second almost all most of the apps that run on a cell phone require a data connection, so if you don't have cell coverage, you have no map application. Check out the GPS section for reviews of various Map applications and read what others have to say. Then go get atrial and try it yourself.

As for carriers, only you can determine that. You need to look at where you will be using the device and then pick the carrier with the best coverage. If you travel to Europe, I'd personally go with an unlocked AT&T device, but that is my preference, not yours.

Do a search on the STORM and also look in the 9500 section. Read the posts and then ask questions if you have them. A bit of legwork on your part, goes a long way on here.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 03-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
darkdragoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: 2562425C
Carrier: SmarTone-Vodafone

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

What makes Blackberry so unique is their push mail technology. Do you need to check your emails like every minutes, and if you do Blackberry is for you.

Last edited by darkdragoon; 03-08-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Old 03-08-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have traveled all over Europe using my BlackBerry and by far the best carrier IMHO is Verizon in the US and then for example if you go to the UK you will roam to Vodafone flawlessly. AT & T is far too expensive too. Rip Off in fact!
Closed Thread