Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
The Sand
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Help with Yahoo Mail Plus through BIS

Please Login to Remove!

I have Yahoo mail Plus through Outook so I don’t need to access Yahoo Mail on the web. On my Blackberry I was accessing Yahoo Mail through Yahoo Go but I did not like the format. I decided to put Yahoo mail through my BIS. Now I have 2 inboxes which is good – but unfortunately my Yahoo mail also goes into my BIS mailbox which I don’t like – I would like to keep them separate. I did some reading and found there is software that will keep the mail in separate inboxes but it is only for BES. Is there any way to keep Yahoo Mail out of my BIS mailbox?

Also, when I send a message from Yahoo mail now from my Blackberry it keeps a copy of it in the “Sent Messages” folder on Yahoo mail on the web. Now I have to go onto Yahoo on the web and clean out my sent messages folder every day from the computer. I have selected “Do not keep a copy of sent messages” on Yahoo mail on the web but it still does it anyway if something is sent from the blackberry. And when I want to delete a message from the Blackberry and select “Delete from Handheld and from Mailbox” it puts the message in the trash on Yahoo on the web but doesn’t delete it. I have to go in from the web again and delete my messages. So, it’s not really “syncing” like it should. Is there something I am missing here – something I have or haven’t selected that I should?

Thanks,
Sandy
Old 04-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Allow me to start with issue 1, you can choose to make one of your accts a level 1 message, so when they go into your main mailbox then will at least appear as different colors. I may have missed it but is the other acct from yahoo as well?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 04-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
drizzt09

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Canada

The messages icon will get all incoming messages. nothing you can do about that. however you can separate your SMS from it then hide it. Then use SMS icon for SMS messages and your msn icon for your MSN email. However you dont have access anymore to your BES work email. This is where the 2 options below come into play.

1. Empower your BlackBerry with HTML Email Viewer and BES MailBox
Costs $20 one time fee, but will give you a separate BESmail icon for your work email. Will only happen for you, noone else on the BES unless they also purchase the program.

2. View Document
You will need to get your I.T. department to implement this feature (its free) and you will get a separate BES icon as well. This one however will happen to everyone on the BES. If anyone else does not like this feature and prefer the messages icon approach, they can simply just hide the BES mail icon.

Hope this helps

Last edited by drizzt09; 04-12-2009 at 08:36 AM..
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
The Sand

Thanks for the repies here!!

I have no I.T. department – I am just little ole “me” trying to get it done with BIS (not BES.) I have 2 email accounts - One is a BIS that is (name)@att.blackberry.net and the other is Yahoo mail (which is really my primary email – the one I put through Outook.) So, I can’t do that program that separates the inboxes, I downloaded it but it wouldn’t run because apparently it’s only for BES. I am not sure what BES would even do for me and I believe it’s more money a month…

I like the idea of changing colors in the inbox – that sounds good and would be better. I have looked at all the settings and see something that says, “Make PIN Messages Level 1: yes or no. I selected No but nothing “changed colors” so maybe I am not looking in the right settings area???

Again, thanks for responding here… any “feedback” is helpful to me.

In the end – I wish I had my yahoo mail synced through Outlook (which it is via Pop3) and on the Blackberry (which is where I am struggling) but see no way to do that…

Sandy
Old 04-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
drizzt09

yes both those options are for BES email only
you BIS emails are already seperated
you will have a yahoo icon and an att.bb icon
hide the messages icon

the very first sentence in my last post mentioned about the messages icon... just substitute MSN for yahoo

Last edited by drizzt09; 04-12-2009 at 03:21 PM..
Old 04-12-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
The Sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt09 View Post
The messages icon will get all incoming messages. nothing you can do about that.
In the end that is the answer. If I want the Message Icon to hold only my BIS email (my "name"@blackberry.att.net) not my Yahoo mail as well I can't. I have no problem with the Messages inbox having my SMS's as well as my email... that doesn't bother me (because the envelopes are different shapes helping to differentiate between email and SMS's.) It's the double email accounts in there that can get confusing.

It also looks like Yahoo mails IMAP'ing through BIS isn't syncing properly either - since what is on my Blackberry does not match what is on Yahoo Mail on the web. I can't fix that either, that's Yahoo's "issue." I did contact them but they were no help whatsoever.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #7
drizzt09

if you really dont like the combining emails... then your best bet is to separate your sms.... then you will have the sms icon, the yahoo icon the att.bb.com icon and the messages icon.

if you receive to yahoo, it will goto messages and yahoo...ignore messages
if you receive to att.bb.com, it will go to messages and att.bb.com... ignore messages
if you receive to SMS, it will go to messages and SMS... ignore messages

since in this scenario you will be ignoring messages on all 3... just hide the messages icon... since when you receive, read, send, or delete with any of the seperate icons.. it reflects the same in the messages icon... just hide it
Old 04-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
The Sand

Maybe why I wasn't understanding you is because I don't have a separate inbox for the @att.blackberry.net account. If I get rid of (or hide) the Messages Icon Inbox I won't be able to read that email account for it only goes there...

I tried separating SMS's from it like you suggested - which did give me another inbox for SMS's but it still didn't give me a "separate" inbox for the @att.blackberry.net account.

Sandy
Old 04-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
drizzt09

you are supposed to... make sure it isnt already hidden, or in another folder... if not, log into your BIS account on your carriers website.. and resend your service books... you could also try going to options, advanced options, host routing table, menu button, register now... if the att.bb.net account is registered then you should have an icon
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
The Sand

Woooo Hooooo!!! I do have an AT&T inbox - it was hidden. I knew it wasn't the sevice book push because I have to do that everytime I do a restore (which is often because the darn ball stops working and I have to get another blackberry) the service books never make a restore (either do all my sounds - I have to reset them every time.) I hope RIM fixes those 2 problems in the future. (I am running Desktop Manager 4.7.)

But at least one problem is fixed!!!

As for Yahoo Mail Plus through BIS - I don't know if it's IMAP or not. When you enter in the Yahoo info on the Blackberry Internet Service website there are no settings. You put in your Yahoo account name and password and it does it automatically (it literally won't let you configure the settings yourself.) Now if it was really "IMAP" wouldn't I have my Yahoo folders now on my Blackberry? They are not there so I don't know... As I said, it also is saving a copy of my sent messages from my Yahoo account on the Blackberry on Yahoo mail on the web which I really didn't want... if it was reallyIMAP it should be "syncing" better - so I am still reading and trying to figure out what the deal is there.

Thanks so much for the info on fixing the multiple accounts piling in my Inbox "issue" - it really does help!!!

Sandy
Old 04-13-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
drizzt09

if you want more control over manual entering account settings on BIS, when you select ADD EMAIL... put in email address and leave both password boxes blank... and click next... you will then get a manual option, but you will need to know the yahoo imap server
Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 PM   #12
The Sand

I saw those instructions in the desktop manager help menu but when you enter in the Yahoo address with no password you just get an error message screen saying, "Invalid name or password" please contact your iternet service provider. I can't get past that screen to the other screen for manual settings like it says is supposed to happen.

Sandy
Old 04-13-2009, 11:41 PM   #13
drizzt09

you doing this on BIS website on your PC, or through email settings on your device?
who is your carrier?
Old 04-14-2009, 12:28 AM   #14
The Sand

I access the BIS website from my computer - My carrier for the Blackberry is AT&T. My internet service provider for the computer is Comcast or I can use Sprint (I have a U727 so I have wireless G for the computer too.) I have IE8 which was a problem on Symantec.com the other day - I was not able to input information and had to use another computer that had IE7 on it... that could be it - but who knows...

As I mentioned - I have desktop manager 4.7. I did find it weird that what the help menu said would happen in regard to inputting settings didn't.

Sandy
Old 04-14-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
The Sand

Sorry, the desktop manager info would not be relevant here since I am accessing it from the browser. I just wasn't thinking straight...

Sandy
Old 04-14-2009, 01:34 AM   #16
alb123

Model: 9630
PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Allow me to start with issue 1, you can choose to make one of your accts a level 1 message, so when they go into your main mailbox then will at least appear as different colors. I may have missed it but is the other acct from yahoo as well?
Could you please instruct me how I would go about setting a particular e-mail account as a Level 1 message? I am using an 8330 Curve, if that makes a difference.

Also, I currently have three e-mail accounts on my 8330. The blackberry account, a gmail account (which I would like to be my level 1) and a hotmail account (rarely used).

A question for the future, should such an occasion arise: Can more than one account be designated Level 1?

Thanks
Chris

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #17
alb123

Model: 9630
PIN: ********
Carrier: Verizon

Forgive my laziness. I should have been prudent and checked my BIS webpage. I noticed that if I go into FILTERS for a particular account, I can select (checkbox) to make it LEVEL 1 messages.

Chris

join #blackberry on EFNet today!
Old 04-14-2009, 02:35 AM   #18
drizzt09

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
I access the BIS website from my computer - My carrier for the Blackberry is AT&T. My internet service provider for the computer is Comcast or I can use Sprint (I have a U727 so I have wireless G for the computer too.) I have IE8 which was a problem on Symantec.com the other day - I was not able to input information and had to use another computer that had IE7 on it... that could be it - but who knows...

Sandy
I would bank on IE8 being your problem
I would quickly install firefox and try it from there
Old 04-15-2009, 11:07 PM   #19
The Sand

I don't want to uninstall IE8 because I like it. All my computers are running it now so I can't check to verify if that is the problem.

The Yahoo sync (whether IMAP or not I don't know) is okay now. It was saving a copy of the messages I sent from the Blackberry on Yahoo on the web even when I selected "delete from handheld and from mailbox." Unfortunately I was testing this using my own accounts. Meaning, sending a message from my Yahoo account (using BB) to my Gmail account. It must have known it was "me." When I send a message to somebody else it does work (it does save a copy of the sent message but I also get a copy in Outlook... then I delete from Outlook and in turn it deletes from the BB.) I am able to manage everything now from Yahoo through Outook or Yahoo on the Blackberry.

So, just in case somebody is having the same trouble - test only using "other" people not your own accounts (which might be listed under your own contact info.)

Sandy
Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM   #20
The Sand

I was wrong, partly anyway - the most important part.

If I send a message from my BB using Yahoo to some other persons account I get a "confirmed delivery" message in Outlook (I run Yahoo through Outlook) which arrives in the inbox. I can delete that message which will also delete it off Yahoo Mail on the web. But there is still the stupid message in the "Sent message" folder on Yahoo on the web which can only be deleted from Yahoo on the Web - not Outlook. Even if you delete it from your BB by selecting "Delete from handheld and from mailbox" and have "Do not save sent messages"on Yahoo on the web it STILL won't get rid of it. You have to log onto your Yahoo account from your BB browser - or wait until you get to a computer and access Yahoo from your computer browser in order to delete sent messages that were sent from your BB. Such a bummer....

Sandy
Closed Thread