OmegaWolf747
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8530
PIN: A COLADA
Carrier: Boost Mobile CDMA
Question Restoring to get rid of corruption in sound profiles

Please Login to Remove!

OK this is really complicated...

I installed Ringo because I wanted to be able to have custom text message tones for contacts. Then I finally understood how to do it natively with profiles and profile exceptions. I created the profiles and set the proper sounds and then created the exceptions based on them and lo and behold, they worked.

I was happy, so I deleted Ringo. This is when the trouble started. Deleting Ringo also served to delete the custom profiles I had created. I recreated them and linked them up with the exceptions based on them again.

Now the problem was... a text message from a friend with a custom profile exception would play the appropriate text tone. But every text message that did not have a custom profile exception contact associated with it would also play my contact's text tone instead of the default text tone.

With me so far?

I connected my BlackBerry to my computer and used Desktop Manager to completely restore sound profiles to default. After doing this, I recreated one profile and exception based on it. I then had my friend send me a text message. The sound I had set played. I then sent myself a text message and once again, my friend's custom sound played instead of the default sound of the active profile.

Everything else, such as email and IM sounds is normal. It's only the SMS sound that is messed up.

I'm starting to think that the only way to clear this up is to either restore all my stuff from a backup I made about a week ago, or to do a factory wipe.

So my questions are: If I restore my settings to last week, will that delete any apps I installed in the mean time? If I do a factory wipe, will I have to reprogram my Berry with the phone number and network information again?

Thank you.

Aren't they cute?
Closed Thread