Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:00 PM   #1
flacks
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: cingular
Post I was thumbing through the new "Blackberry Hacks" book

Please Login to Remove!

at my local bookstore, and the author touts the "Getting Things Done" system and how he uses it in Outlook, on his berry, etc. I looked at the website, http://www.davidco.com and did some poking around, and it looks like it is gaining a cult following, bestselling book, the works.

Does anyone use it out there, and if so, how does it translate to the BB (other than through Outlook)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Shoofro

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

This is my first post. I bought the "Blackberry Hacks" book last night, even though I don't yet own a BB. For me, an absolute BB beginner, the book is great. I didn't realize how much the BB can do, although most of the users here probably know most of what's in the book. I wanted to point out that the book even references this site as a helpful source of BB information.

I started using the "Getting Things Done" (GTD) system for my business and personal life about two years ago, and it made a huge reduction in my stress level and helped me be much more productive. I definitely recommend taking a look at the book, and on the GTD website, there is a downloadable instruction manual on how to configure Outlook to work with the GTD system. I think it is some of the best money I ever spent, probably because I wasn't too familiar with Outlook. BTW, one David Allen's former partner's (McCarthy) has a new book out about using Outlook for organizing your life. It may be worth taking a look at.

I used to spend the majority of my working time in the office, but now I am out of the office alot more and I recognized that mobile email and calendar would make my life alot easier. For the past several weeks, I have been going back and forth about whether to buy the Treo 650 or BB7250. I was somewhat concerned about using the BB for the GTD system since most of the users on the GTD forums seem to favor the Palms. However, after doing ALOT of reading on this site and some Treo sites, and hearing many people praise the BB, I made the decision to go with the BB. I already ordered the Flamingo bluetooth headset (thanks to another thread on this site), and my BB will delivered by my Verizon rep on Tuesday. I can't wait!!!

Although this site has already helped my understanding tremendously, I am sure it will take me some time to work out any kinks in my use of GTD with BB. Once I have things running smoothly, I will post a summary of how I am using the BB in conjunction with the GTD system. Although a search of these forums returned only a few hits for "Getting Things Done" I am sure there are at least a few people here that are using the BB and GTD. I will be interested in hearing their tips as well.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #3
flacks

Thanks for the detailed response. I for one would be very interested in the synergy between GTD and the BB.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #4
Damager
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I've read this book as well, and use a BB. This is a solid "system" for getting everything out of your head and into a manageable state. Just don't look for a "quick fix" - you have to be disciplined and stick to the program over time fot it to help.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:58 PM   #5
henroc725

Model: 7230

So is there a GTD website?
Old 11-14-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Shoofro

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by henroc725
So is there a GTD website?
http://www.davidco.com/

Click on "public forums" for alot of helpful information about implementing the system.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #7
neuor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: By Request
Carrier: Sprint

I just recieved my copy of "BlackBerry Hacks" yesterday. After reading it over last night, I must say it is full of useful information. A "must have" for any newer BlackBerry user.
http://garrettkelley.com
Old 11-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #8
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

I'm glad you liked my notes on GTD and the Blackberry.

It took some doing, and earlier versions of the Blackberry OS didn't really hack it, but it can be done well with 4.0+.

My workflow isn't in Outlook - though it easily could be if I used Windows. GTD is a great productivity "system" that doesn't really make it obvious that you're using a "system" -- it just lets you do more in less time and have more time for things you want or need to do.

I can't recommend reading David Allen's book enough, though some heavy modifications are required to do it all digitally it translates well into that world. There are a ton of websites about GTD and other productivity methodologies including 43Folders (http://www.43folders.com/).

Glad you are liking the book!
Old 11-18-2005, 08:41 PM   #9
flacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempai
I'm glad you liked my notes on GTD and the Blackberry.

It took some doing, and earlier versions of the Blackberry OS didn't really hack it, but it can be done well with 4.0+.

My workflow isn't in Outlook - though it easily could be if I used Windows. GTD is a great productivity "system" that doesn't really make it obvious that you're using a "system" -- it just lets you do more in less time and have more time for things you want or need to do.

I can't recommend reading David Allen's book enough, though some heavy modifications are required to do it all digitally it translates well into that world. There are a ton of websites about GTD and other productivity methodologies including 43Folders (http://www.43folders.com/).

Glad you are liking the book!
Thank you, Sempai. How well do you think the Outlook add-in would translate to the berry? When you say it can be "done well with 4.0+" what exactly do you mean? Thanks.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Well, I found that it was much easier to use the GTD contexts when I could actually browse Tasks by categories instead of one big list.

That way if I'm @home, @office, somewhere I can do @calls tasks, I can JUST see the things I am capable of doing at the time.

I have used the Outlook plug-in briefly and if you live in Windows all day, its definatly worth it. I'm multi-platform and found out quickly that it wouldn't mesh with my GTD workflow in spite of itself. You can do GTD in Outlook/Entourage without the plug-in. I found that to be preferable for my particular circumstance.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:20 PM   #11
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

I echo Sempai's sentiments towards GTD. I'm a big believer.

I also agree that being able to view just a category of tasks directly on the BB would be a big productivity booster. I'm currently considering NextAction! to do this. If it were $20 instead of $40, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But it's just over that "hurdle" and I can't decide if it's worth the money. ;)
Old 11-20-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireproof
I echo Sempai's sentiments towards GTD. I'm a big believer.

I also agree that being able to view just a category of tasks directly on the BB would be a big productivity booster. I'm currently considering NextAction! to do this. If it were $20 instead of $40, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But it's just over that "hurdle" and I can't decide if it's worth the money. ;)
nice dig lol its a year old
Old 11-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
nice dig lol its a year old
Yeah, well, that's what happens when one actually USES the search button.

Not many recent posts about GTD method of productivity enhancement, or how it can be implemented using the blackberry...
Old 11-20-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Dawg
No longer Registered.

probally because it isnt useful anymore, only useful stuff stays in the foreground
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM   #15
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Wow, you're a friendly one.

Whatever. I found the post useful. And thought I would add my 2 cents.

But I'm so glad you stopped in just to sh!t on someone.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
Dawg
No longer Registered.

dude your reading to much into it I was shitting on anyone just carrying on conversation
Old 11-20-2006, 02:27 PM   #17
ootdoo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: :-)
PIN: 2157FFB2

HAHA i guess you've never dealt with somebody from georgia. especially a dawgs fan. get used to it.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:28 PM   #18
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Sorry. No worries.

I was just having to read through some troll postings on another board and I guess that carried over here. You know - you get into that place of "geez, what is WITH this people?"

Didn't mean to jump to conclusion... Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:34 PM   #19
Dawg
No longer Registered.

np at all
Old 11-20-2006, 02:43 PM   #20
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

LOL. I usually don't let trolls bug me, but this other guy really pissed me off now because he's causing me to lash out at innocent bystanders.

LMAO. Okay, is it beer-time yet?

Cheers.
Closed Thread