BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
Analog-X64

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default Domino/BES Server Maintenance Advice needed.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the BES server, and as such I dont know what are the regular maintenance tasks I should perform on a regular basis.

So far the only thing I've been doing is archiving the log files from my Domino/BES Server.

This past week I ran into trouble, I moved a SIM card from a Busted BB to a new one and did the enterprise activation. Everything seemed fine, except some of the entrys in the address book didnt port over. I called my provider and talked to their BB Support and they refered me to "kb02207" on running Fixup, Updall and Compact tasks on my Domino server. But honestly I find the instructions there a bit lacking.

What I'm not sure about is the which files to run these fixups on. The users Mail\filename.nsf?? or blackberryoutbox.nsf, bbdir.snf, bbstats.nsf?

The tech support suggested there might be corruption for this user.

the kb02207 also shows doing this offline (notes server shutdown) and online but I cant simply shutdown my mail server it is being used constantly.

So anyone have a list of regular Maintenance I can do, so I dont run into this type of problem again?

Any pruning / cleaning I need to do on a regular basis?

Thanks.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:33 AM   #2
Analog-X64

So any suggestions on cleaning up and maintaining my BES Server on a regular basis?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

That KB Article should have instructions for online maintenance.. as well.

Eventually you will need to schedule downtime.. It just has to happen, and your BES will "always" be doing something. May want to schedule BES downtime during the work day, when most of your users are in the office with access to email on their desktop.

The commands are ran against everything in the BES\ directory, as mentioned in the KB article.

With the missing address book entries, are their errors in the application log? (probably)

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 06-20-2009 at 10:21 AM..
Old 06-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Analog-X64

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
The commands are ran against everything in the BES\ directory, as mentioned in the KB article.

With the missing address book entries, are their errors in the application log? (probably)
Its all going to have to happen after hours or on the weekend, my workplace is intense, I just cannot do anything during the week and it will have to be late at night as well.

Application error logs, are you refereeing to the windows application error logs?

do you know of a checklist that I can follow?

is there an order which I should do things?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog-X64 View Post
Application error logs, are you refereeing to the windows application error logs?
Yep, you probably do, because I had the same exact issue. I just did some quick online maintenance and it resolved the issue, of course I did a fixup on the Domino Admin side as well.

If you have any T-Support I would give them a call and they will be more then helpful for this issue.

You may also want to consider asking for some BES training. BES isn't a truly tough concept but getting some info to get in the right direction is always good. (Unless you want to look threw the PDF documentation on RIM's site, which is essentially the same thing as their training classes from what I have seen.)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-20-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
Analog-X64

Unfortunately all training has been suspended at work due to current economic times.

I'll just have to figure out on my own I guess. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
SteveO86

Remember read, the KB article carefully, it should all be there.

Good luck, and remember you got BBF

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by SteveO86; 06-20-2009 at 04:30 PM..
Old 06-20-2009, 11:44 PM   #8
silver_2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: ATT

look in the magt log to see what happened with the activation

I never understood the RIM requirement of taking the server off line to do maintenance. LOL Every week the server will be unavailable while maintenance is run. Its crazy in my opinion
Old 06-21-2009, 11:26 AM   #9
SteveO86

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_2000 View Post
look in the magt log to see what happened with the activation

I never understood the RIM requirement of taking the server off line to do maintenance. LOL Every week the server will be unavailable while maintenance is run. Its crazy in my opinion
It's really NOT a requirement they have instructions for online maintenance. Even though they do recommend offline maintenance. So far when I have ran into sudden issue (not often), online maintenance has been fine... I will run Offline maintenance from time to time while applying an MR/SP, or if the Domino is down (Maintenance/backup/failure/we)

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #10
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533

Hello –

A few things:

Steve is correct. On the BES server, you need to run the maintenance tasks on all items in the BES\ sub folder of the Domino Server’s Data directory. On the Mail server, you’ll want to run the maintenance tasks on the BlackBerry user’s mail files and server-based replicas of any personal Address Books or person Journals that BES uses. And yes, you can totally do these as on-line tasks. RIM just recommends off-line tasks since it’s the simplest way for RIM to walk neophyte Domino Administrators through while on the phone. They just assume you’ll run them as on-line tasks if you already know how.

I schedule mine to run once a week on both my BES servers and my Mail servers. You’ll want to schedule the program documents with enough of a time window so hopefully the next task doesn’t start before the prior task completes. I don’t know how much Domino Administration you are familiar with? So please excuse me if some of the following is rudimentary for you. You’ll want to schedule the tasks with the Administration client and not the Notes client (IBM’s recommendation).

Against the BES:
You just run the tasks against everything under \BES so we’ll hardcode this path in the Command Line field of the program documents. Then use the Administration client to schedule the maintenance tasks referenced in RIM KB02207.

Task 1:
Program Name: nfixup
Command Line: -F –L –O BES
Server to run on: BES01/OU
Schedule: Enabled
Run at times: (some time between Midnight and 2AM depending on your window)
Repeat interval of: 0
Days of week: (probably Sun or Sat)
Comments: BES program to run periodic maintenance to fix possible corruption in databases used by the BES. See RIM KB02207

Task 2:
Program Name: nupdall
Command Line: -R BES
Run at Times: (sufficient time after task 1)

Task 3:
Program Name: ncompact
Command Line: -c BES
Run at Times: (sufficient time after task 2)

Against the Mail servers:
Inside the data directory, create a text file called BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND .
Within that text file, type the relative path of each BES User’s mail file or server-based replica of the Address book or Journal with each entry on its own line. that is, unless you want to also run these program documents against all mail files or all databases (etc) on these mail servers. (I don’t).
Quote:
(start contents of example BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND file: )
Mail\aroc.nsf
Mail\adam.nsf
Mail\larry.nsf
Names\aroc.nsf
Names\adam.nsf
Names\larry.nsf
Memos\aroc.nsf
Memos\adam.nsf
Memos\larry.nsf
(end contents)
In my example, I have the mail in the Mail folder, server copies of the BES user’s Personal Address Books in the Names folder, and the Journals in the Memos folder.

Then use the Administration client to schedule the maintenance tasks referenced in RIM KB02207.
Task 1:
Program Name: nfixup
Command Line: -F –L –O BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND
Server to Run: Mail01/OU
Schedule: Enabled
Run at Times: (some time between Midnight and 2AM depending on your window)
Repeat Interval of: 0
Days of Week: (probably Sun or Sat)
Comments: BES program to run periodic maintenance to fix possible corruption in databases used by the BES. See RIM KB02207

Task 2:
Command Line: -R BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND
Run at Times: (sufficient time after Task 1)

Task 3:
Program Name: ncompact
Command Line: -c BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND
Run at Times: (sufficient time after Task 2)

Task 4:
Command Line: -X BES_Periodic_Maintenance.IND
Run at Times: (sufficient time after Task 3)

Other noteworthy items:
  • RIM recommends that any personal address books (synchronized with a BlackBerry) should have at minimum these three fields populated: FirstName, LastName, CompanyName. Populating these three fields helps the Synchronization Service better do its job, since it has an easier time identifying the records. We find this to be somewhat true in practice. It does seem to help.
  • I tend to delete users then manually delete their State Databases (under BES\State\xxxxxxxx.nsf) once every 2 years or so. I noticed some of the older state databases from users that were originally activated under BES 2.x were having problems reconciling changes (read/unread status, deletes – from E-mail). Continuing with that trend, I now do the same maintenance for everyone. Where I work high-profile people get a new handheld every 9-12 months and everyone gets a new one every 2 years. So this maintenance seems to best coincide when a user is issued a new handheld.
  • On occasion an address book will stop synchronizing wirelessly with a handheld. We delete the Desktop SYNC address book from the handheld (Home, Options, Service Book) then from the console of the BES, we right-click on the user in question and select “resend service books.”
  • The same can also happen with the Calendar. In the case of the Calendar, I just delete ALL of the Desktop* service books (including Desktop ICAL) and re-push new Service Books from the server.
  • RIM suggests keeping mail files maintained with the Inbox view holding less than 1000 documents (document count in other views are not counted against this) and also keeping the folders/views within a mail file to less than 500 folders/views overall. Most people don’t create anything near 500 folders, so this isn’t often exceeded. However many people are know to keep more than 1000 or even more than 10,000 documents in their Inbox views. While exceeding this limit doesn’t always start to cause problems, it seems that the ones that do have problems are the ones with more than 1000 documents in their Inbox views (as high as 40,000 in some cases). If you can set up some type of archiving (that either you as the administrator maintain, or something the user can do) this can help.
  • I keep Full-Text indexes (using the default FT index settings) of the BES users’ mail files and any address book or journal replicas that exist on the server. Keeping the FT indexes seems to help speed up the reconciliation times (read/unread status, deletions) as the BES seems better able to discern “what” has “recently changed.” Keeping the FT indexes was RIM T-Support’s suggesting, an so far we are pleased with the results so we continue to keep the FT indexes for BES users. Prior to implementing the FT Indexes, the media reconcile time was 40 minutes. It would not be uncommon for changes to take 24 hours or more to reconcile (part of this was the BES server was underpowered). After the implementing the FT Indexes, the median reconcile time (server to handheld) was less than 5 minutes though it is my understanding that this value is coded at the server to be 20 minutes or so.

IBM technote article on the architecture of Unread Marks in Lotus Notes - (link) IBM - The Architecture of Unread Marks in Lotus Notes (27002920) . This link may be useful if you have not already seen this information.

The Unread ID Table

Each database stores the list of unread documents in an Unread ID Table within the NSF file. To save space, this table stores a list of Note IDs instead of the longer UNIDs. Because of this, the table is specific to the replica that stores it.

This table is user-specific and is stored within the .NSF file in a special structure named with the hierarchical user name to which it applies.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533

I found some of my old notes from the case on 9/27/2009 that I opened with RIM on this issue. This is for BES 4.1.x for IBM Lotus Domino. I spoke with a technician named Lou.

1. Full Text Index - the technician recommends creating full text indexes on mail files larger than 1GB (use default index settings).

2.For State Databases larger than 20 MB, enable State Database pruning.

3. Check that BB Services are running.

4. Rebuild Views regularly.

5. State Database fixup (see KB article).

6. If delays are occurring:
A. Send PIN/PIN message.
B. Open a case with RIM or the telco.

This was case# 420-5021.
Closed Thread