BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #1
gemrookie
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Default Returning 8700 and waiting for Motorola Q!

Please Login to Remove!

While impressed with the 8700, it still doesn't have the "phone feel" that i was hoping for...While many like the 7100 series, i'm not interested in the non-qwerty keyboard....which leaves me to ponder....Wouldn't it be safe to assume that Cingular will have the Q first? They had the Razr first....The Q will have the same push email running WM 5.0, and it's metal construction and slimmer build will lend to a better phone experience in the long run...any thoughts....
Old 11-27-2005, 12:57 PM   #2
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

WM 5.0 is only a true "push" if you are on Exchange 2003 with the most recent service packs. Otherwise it functions just like the BB Web Client.
Old 11-27-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF
Carrier: AT&T

Bad call, you will be totally unimpressed by the Q...plus there is no PUSH email out the box, you need the Messaging and Securities pack which god knows how long it will take them to release...have fun

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #4
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Motorola has disabled the EDGE on the Q because of problems with the chipset and cannot change it now. You could not give it to me wo EDGE. The 8700 flys on EDGE.

http://www.mobilegadgetnews.com/inde...53&hl=cingular

I think boygenius has or has used the Q phone?
Old 11-27-2005, 01:24 PM   #5
MegaBit
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemrookie
While impressed with the 8700, it still doesn't have the "phone feel" that i was hoping for...While many like the 7100 series, i'm not interested in the non-qwerty keyboard....which leaves me to ponder....Wouldn't it be safe to assume that Cingular will have the Q first? They had the Razr first....The Q will have the same push email running WM 5.0, and it's metal construction and slimmer build will lend to a better phone experience in the long run...any thoughts....
Unfortunately, the Q is all-plastic, no metal like its RAZR cousins. The whole idea of "active sync" makes me run away really fast.

Motorola makes some nice handsets but I would definitely wait for version 2 or later. For example, look at the V600 that came out in July 2004. It was so hot and so lusted after until everyone got one and Cingular pulled them in only a few months due to software issues, poor build quality, and user dissatisfaction. They almost never get it right on the first one. It takes, oh, maybe a million beta testers to get everything fixed.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:07 PM   #6
dolo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon, Cingular

Also the word from Hofo was - that Cingular dropped the Q due to lack of EDGE.
CDMA providers will be firsto market with this device - presumably VZW.

Regards,
dolo
Old 11-27-2005, 02:15 PM   #7
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers

Thats what I have heard as well... the Q will be coming on CDMA before GSM because of major issues. its plastic, the keyboard is shitty... I have heard alot of bad things
Old 11-27-2005, 03:10 PM   #8
barjohn

To be fair, most of the bad things we have heard have come from BG and is based on his early unit. It may be different when it is finally released.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
trstack
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Default Moto Q?!

Why in the world would you want to run Windozw on your handheld?

Since you need a subcription to Forbes to read the article, I'll provide the key points that the review of the Sprint SmartPhone. The article is titled, "Smart Phone, Stupid Software"

Here's the key text:

...there's one unfortunate problem with Windows Mobile 5.0 in its current incarnation: faulty plumbing. ActiveSync, the program that synchronizes the device with a PC, has been totally reworked using Internet protocols instead of the proprietary system of yore. But though the old system was no prize, the new one is so bad that Microsoft offers a long, long Web page devoted to things you may need to try on your PC (ready to "un-bind NDIS Intermediate Drivers?") if you want ActiveSync to work. A software fix is due on the Web, but there are plenty of problems it won't resolve.

Example: Turns out it's a bad idea to have the 6700 connected while the computer boots. When I accidentally did that--easy enough, considering that the synch cradle is where you would normally leave the device to charge after you turn your PC off at night--ActiveSync went into an endless loop of futility. When I plucked the device from the cradle, it was no longer able to use data functions at all. Only a reboot and a resynch saved me.

Then there was the time I tried to surf the Web and the 6700 kept demanding a nonexistent password. That kept me from even making phone calls, let alone sending mail. Repairing that required a "hard reset," wiping every scrap of info in the phone and forcing it to restart from scratch--and forcing me to wait and wait while ActiveSync trickled hundreds of contacts back into the phone. In theory, you can use the phone as a modem with Sprint's high-speed data service, but Icouldn't make it work because key software appeared to be missing from the package.

The 6700 includes a version of Windows Media Player for music and video. But glitches in ActiveSync make Microsoft's already awkward PC media transfer software even worse. Eventually I was able to play unprotected Windows Media Files on the device, but transferring protected subscription content from the Real Rhapsody service worked with only two of about fifty tracks I tried--and when played on the device, they exhibited annoying stutters.

Apart from the synch problems, the 6700 is not as clever as it initially appears. The slide-out keyboard does have wide keys but also has odd key placement and poor contrast between letters and background. It gets really tiresome having to open the phone and hold it sideways to type in a contact you want to dial.

Trying to replicate the Windows user interface on a small screen was always a Procrustean idea; the new version offers only token improvements. You're never sure quite what's running at any given moment, and nobody seemed to revamp even basic applications like the contacts list to work better when you use the phone horizontally.

Microsoft's customary shoddiness no longer has the ability to astonish--just to sadden. With Windows Mobile 5.0, Bill Gates, Microsoft's chief software architect, has delivered yet another edifice built for instant collapse--but at least it will fit in your pocket.

Have fun, I'll stick with the RIM OS and my Mac thank you.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
Boy Genius
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: FFFFFFF

Yes I do have an earlier unit, 2nd out of the 3 different hardware versions, the new keyboard is a little better, softer, it is still all plastic the device, and won't be EDGE it will be UTMS, I have 2 Q's sitting here and I can't look at it while I am holding the 8700. It is too sad how Motorola screwed up another device a.k.a. MPx. If all you want is web browsing and simple phone Q might work, software isn't bad it is just the email concept especially on a smartphone with a RIM track-wheel escape button knock off...

The Boy Genius Report
Old 11-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #11
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Wow, it seems Motorola screwed this one up too! Do any of you know when the Motorola Q is expected to be hitting stores in the US (or carried by Cingular)?
Old 11-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
barjohn

BG, you are right, it is too bad since the form factor is really appealing. I wondered about the screen size though for a WM5 device as even the 6700 I tried was a bit on the cramped side for the applications. I hope to post my preliminary review of the 8700 today or tomorrow and I will be comparing certain aspect of the devices.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 11-27-2005, 06:25 PM   #13
No Longer Registered.

I'm thinking of getting the MotoQ as well.

Please keep infos coming guys, would love to have all the inputs before getting one.

Old 11-28-2005, 02:21 AM   #14
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I was really excited about the Q but have totally lost interest in PPC phones. They just aren't cutting it. I've had just about all of them and am VERY happy with my 8700 so far.

Just like everyone said, true push email requires Exchange Server 2003 with patches and then Microsoft will release a service pack for PPC's. Then, it's up to the manufacturers to release those patches for their devices. That's just the push email part...

The Motorola Q looks awesome but keep in mind that most apps are developed for the landscape screen. Square screens just don't cut it on PPC's. That's liket he HP hw6151 that Cingular's selling right now. I had one and it's great but all the apps don't work on it.

Anyway, I just don't think PPC's are up to challenging Treo's or BB's yet. Just my opinion though ;)
Closed Thread