Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
hah2110
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: ATT
Default Who is using the gmail app?

Please Login to Remove!

Instead of BIS? Do you like it? Any problems? Is it full push? I'm trying it and have the settings right but don't get notifications when a new e-mail comes in (at least not within 3-4 minutes). Is there a way to customize the signature? Thanks!

Last edited by hah2110; 11-15-2009 at 12:38 AM..
Old 11-15-2009, 12:47 AM   #2
morfy50
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

The GMail app only checks for new messages every 20 minutes or so. If there is something specific you need that BIS can't deliver then try the GMail app, otherwise I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

The gmail app, allows you full access to your gmail profile. All your labels, contacts, chats, sent e-mails, etc. It allows your to search your e-mails as well. The only downside is that it polls at a hard coded interval so its not as immediate as if you had setup the account through the bis account.

I find that access to all my information greatly out weights the immediate notification of an e-mail. If I'm expecting an e-mail then I don't have a problem refreshing the app until it arrives. But for me having access to chat logs, other labels, sent items, contacts and the ability to search is more important, so I prefer the gmail app.

Also when I send an e-mail from the app, then I'm sure it will be in my profile and all the information is in one place.

I'm just hoping that Google reduces the polling time or make it user specific, and allow for attaching documents.

The signature you would have to adjust from within your Gmail profile from the website.

Last edited by kirrinjones; 11-15-2009 at 09:39 AM..
Old 11-15-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada

I prefer the Gmail app. I run two Gmail accounts, one for general junk and one very private address [no spam, commercials or subscription stuff] and I find it very handly to switch back and forth between them. The BIS system seems good only for immediate stuff, and doesn't allow me to look at backlogged email.

It's not as immediate, but most of the people I'd want to hear from right away would text me rather than email.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
kirrinjones

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica

Wirelessly posted

Oh that's right, I forgot the excellent feature of having access to multiple gmail accounts. I have 3, so it works wonderfully for me.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
dedtired

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

The BIS system will be a lot better if/when enhanced GMail gets two-way syncing. Right now, the GMail app is far superior, for reasons already mentioned plus one: if I read an e-mail in the gmail app, I can archive it or delete it and it carries through to the main system. If I do the same through my computer, the GMail app updates. The same is not true through BIS. Deleting e-mails can be a pain in the ...
Old 12-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
enrogue
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Send As??!

How do I send an email from an alternate address?? It works perfectly with the PC-based GMail app, but can't do it through BIS nor through the gmail app...

ex. If I am pulling in email from a POP3 account into GMail, and am using Gmail on my PC to send and receive emails from the POP3 account, how do I send an email from this POP3 address from my berry?? If I create a BIS account for the Gmail account, the FROM address is the gmail address, not the FROM from the POP3.. In the gmail app, I can reply to emails sent to the POP3 with the proper FROM address, but cannot create a new email using the POP3 FROM address..

Any ideas?
Old 12-01-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
kathrynhr

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

I use it so I can search through old messages. Once I've acted upon a message, I delete the copy on the Blackberry. The Gmail app is basically my message archive, because I never delete those.
Closed Thread