BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
BES admin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T
Default Assign new users to a group when added to BES 5.0?

Please Login to Remove!

If our help desk creates a new users on the BES I'd like to see those new users automatically get assigned to a default group. Our help desk is allowed to add users to the BES, however, until those new user(s) are added to a group, those new users are unavailable (Can't be viewed or edited) to the Help Desk staff because the new users are "groupless."

This is a direct result of specifying that the help desk staff can only edit & view users in specific groups, (Which apparently precludes them from viewing users who don't yet belong to a group) yet during the process of adding a user to the BES, the help desk staff can't specify the group the new user should belong to.

My goal is to prevent the help desk staff from viewing or editing users in one particular "Presidential Cabinet" group, while allowing them to add, edit, and update new users in other groups or users not in a group yet. .
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
cyclmpc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Under the User and Device tab for Manage Roles, you can select what groups a role can edit. Once you select Grant for the access, you can list what specific groups this particular role can or cannot edit.

I do not believe you can automatically assign a role during the activation.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:36 AM   #3
sr75

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile and at&t
Default My Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin View Post
If our help desk creates a new users on the BES I'd like to see those new users automatically get assigned to a default group. Our help desk is allowed to add users to the BES, however, until those new user(s) are added to a group, those new users are unavailable (Can't be viewed or edited) to the Help Desk staff because the new users are "groupless."

This is a direct result of specifying that the help desk staff can only edit & view users in specific groups, (Which apparently precludes them from viewing users who don't yet belong to a group) yet during the process of adding a user to the BES, the help desk staff can't specify the group the new user should belong to.

My goal is to prevent the help desk staff from viewing or editing users in one particular "Presidential Cabinet" group, while allowing them to add, edit, and update new users in other groups or users not in a group yet. .

I had the exact same issue. Only I have multiple subsidiary companies that have their own level 1 help desks. I created my own stored procedure on the BES Database and I run a SQL task every 5 minutes to run that stored procedure.

The stored procedure creates a temporary table in memory that is populated by
users that are not currently assigned to groups. It will then add those users to the New User Group. Any actions done to the temporary table only effects the temporary table and not your actual data. The temp table is destroyed when the stored procedure finishes.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< CLIP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_MoveToUserBucket
AS

BEGIN
DECLARE @tmpGroupless TABLE(GroupId INT,UserId INT)
DECLARE @ROWCOUNT INT
DECLARE @iGroupID INT
DECLARE @iUserID INT

/* Change the @iGroupID to the GroupID of the Group being used for the bucket. You can find the Group ID in the dbo.BASGroupNamesV View */

SET @iGroupID = 14

INSERT INTO @tmpGroupless
Select dbo.BASGroupMemberships.GroupId, dbo.BASUsers.UserId
FROM dbo.BASGroupMemberships
FULL JOIN dbo.BASUsers
ON dbo.BASGroupMemberships.MemberID=dbo.BASUsers.User ID
WHERE dbo.BASGroupMemberships.GroupID is NULL

SELECT @ROWCOUNT = @@ROWCOUNT

WHILE @ROWCOUNT > 0
BEGIN
SET @iUserID = (SELECT TOP 1 UserID FROM @tmpGroupless)
BEGIN
INSERT INTO dbo.BASGroupMemberships
VALUES (@iGroupID, @iUserID, 1, 0)
BEGIN
RAISERROR('Adding New User failed to add to User Bucket.',16,1)
END
END
DELETE FROM @tmpGroupless where UserID = @iUserID
SET @ROWCOUNT = @ROWCOUNT -1
END
END
Old 11-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
pauuu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: vodafone

Yeah a bit of a pain this one. We upgraded to 5.0 with the intention of handing over admin tasks to each section in our company (while restricting them access only to their devices). So we experienced the same issue and contacted RIM in regards to it.

Their response was simply this a known issue and is being addressed in SP1 for 5.0
Closed Thread