re:charge
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK
Default 8520 setup problem

Please Login to Remove!

Hello! n00b BB owner here.

i'm a little confused. i've connected to my house wifi, hit "wifi hotspot login" & got the connected to blackberry message, even went to browser setting & chose "hotspot browser". ... then i go to email setup, & it's telling me "your email account cannot be configured at this time because your device is not connected to the wireless network" - except i have just done that.... what could be wrong, how do i solve this?

i have only wifi checked on in 'manage connections'... strangely, i can use the t-mobile browser over wifi, but not opera mini 4.2 (despite checking the wifi box in opera settings) - so i am obviously connected. why is the email setup telling me i'm not ? why no opera mini on wifi?

i was able to get opera mini working on my data plan (another headache!) & now this!
Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Do you have a blackberry data plan, or just tmobile's regular data plan?

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-13-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Old 03-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Sytner
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: S = Ouch
Carrier: Orange UK

Wirelessly posted (8520 (5.0.0.411))

To set up email you need to have 'Mobile Network' checked in Manage Connections. It will then work.

As for opera, try running the connection wizard when connected to WiFi.
9800 / 6.0.0.337
If someone posts something useful, click thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Do you have a blackberry data plan, or just tmobile's regular data plan?
just the t-mobile data... that is another headache, cannot seem to register on their BIS login page with my pin / imei... perhaps this is because it's a prepay phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sytner
To set up email you need to have 'Mobile Network' checked in Manage Connections. It will then work.

As for opera, try running the connection wizard when connected to WiFi.
cheers. though it only asks about work email, shouldn't it also ask about adding my own email too?

there could be a problem in opera. although i got it working earlier, it won't connect at all now. i've switched off wifi & the default browser works, but not opera.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

T-mobile UK do not offer Blackberry boosters on PAYG sim cards.
You need a SIM Only or Flext/Combo contract with a Blackberry booster to get:
blackberry email, blackberry BBM, and other data features over the mobile network.

You will NOT be able to register your device on the BIS site, without the blackberry Booster.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 03-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
woodyuk
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Virgin Mobile UK

Tmobile were I think the 2nd network in the UK to offer PAYG Blackberrys.They were just beaten by Orange into the prepay marketplace and originaly they offered 8110s for £179.00 inc a years BIS.Details here

They now sell the 8520 for £149 including 6 months BIS but there aren't any details on their site of how you pay for your Blackberry data once the 6 months are up but details of the deal are here.if you have just bought this package from them I suggest you call there customer services and tell the you're having problems registering.

Last edited by woodyuk; 03-13-2010 at 05:24 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyuk View Post
Tmobile were I think the 2nd network in the UK to offer PAYG Blackberrys.They were just beaten by Orange into the prepay marketplace and originaly they offered 8110s for £179.00 inc a years BIS.

They now sell the 8520 for £149 including 6 months BIS but there aren't any details on their site of how you pay for your BlS afterwards.if you have just bought this package from them I suggest you call there customer services and tell the you're having problems registering.
after replacing toys in my pram i have calmed down & gone back to scratch... i've 'wiped' the device, put in the packaged sim, registered on t-mob site & topped up. surprise surprise, after you give them some money, the "6 month free bb" message is now recognised, as if by magic!

i think i was being naiive in thinking i could get ordinary internet (ala - non blackberry) working without BIS. anyways, sorted now

i must say i am absolutely loving this phone, despite these first teething troubles (of mine, lol)

cheers
Old 03-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by re:charge
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyuk View Post
Tmobile were I think the 2nd network in the UK to offer PAYG Blackberrys.They were just beaten by Orange into the prepay marketplace and originaly they offered 8110s for £179.00 inc a years BIS.

They now sell the 8520 for £149 including 6 months BIS but there aren't any details on their site of how you pay for your BlS afterwards.if you have just bought this package from them I suggest you call there customer services and tell the you're having problems registering.
after replacing toys in my pram i have calmed down & gone back to scratch... i've 'wiped' the device, put in the packaged sim, registered on t-mob site & topped up. surprise surprise, after you give them some money, the "6 month free bb" message is now recognised, as if by magic!

i think i was being naiive in thinking i could get ordinary internet (ala - non blackberry) working without BIS. anyways, sorted now

i must say i am absolutely loving this phone, despite these first teething troubles (of mine, lol)

cheers
Enjoy!