Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #1
RochesterBBOwner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C
Question WWW delays on 8700C

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:

I have followed this 8700 forum very closely since the device was released. My 8700C finally arrived the other day, and I was able to retire my beloved 7290. So far, I love the device. Knock on wood - I have not had any of the negative dust issues, reboots, or similar issues.

The one thing that I am noticing (not sure if it is an actual problem, or just the way it is) is that there is a noticable and pretty regular delay when I try to access web sites. I do have the three browsers (BB, Cingular, and Internet Browser). I tend to use the Internet Browser and have set that as my default and the object of my front convenience key.

When I try to access most web sites, the browser shows a status of "requesting...." for what I think is too long of a time. Once the "Requesting ...." goes a way, and it says "Loading..." - then the EDGE speed seems to kick in well. At that point the pages load pretty fast, and I am pleased with that part of the performance. But, the delay waiting for what I assume is the initial connection to the web site is obnoxiuos.

I have tried setting the emulation mode to IE and Pocket IE. I am on a corporate BES server, but I have no information on release levels and settings for that box. I work for a VERY large company, and I would not be able to get access to that data. So, I do not know if the delay is at the BES, a setting on my 8700C, or if it is the way it is. I have only tried the web browsing from my home, and I typically get 2 or 3 bars for the EDGE strength, so am also not sure if it is simply signal strength.

Has anyone else seen this, or have any suggestions for improving my browsing performance?

Thank you for your help.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Are you saying that you didn't have this issue on your 7290, but you have it now?

My experience with my 7250, in both 1X and now the upgraded very fast EVDO mode is that requests take a while and the speed really kicks in once the download begins.

I just always assumed that wireless latecy, combined with RIM gateways to the Internet and initial negotiation caused the long request time...

Is anyone getting really short times from the beginning of requests to switching over to download?
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 PM   #3
RochesterBBOwner
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700C

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
Are you saying that you didn't have this issue on your 7290, but you have it now?

My experience with my 7250, in both 1X and now the upgraded very fast EVDO mode is that requests take a while and the speed really kicks in once the download begins.

I just always assumed that wireless latecy, combined with RIM gateways to the Internet and initial negotiation caused the long request time...

Is anyone getting really short times from the beginning of requests to switching over to download?
That is a good question about the 7290. I frankly do not remember. I do know that speeds are much faster once the "Loading..." message appears.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #4
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

The delays are probably due to the various gateways and the conversion and compression/decompression taking place through RIM if you are like me on BIS and I would guess not much different via BES. Anyone care to comments and enlighten?

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 12-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #5
rcbjr

Model: 8700

From what I can tell it depends on the website and probably the negotiation of the connection. I do believe that it is somewhat quicker than with my 7290. I can't really verify this because I didn't have the internet browser or just couldn't find it on my 7290.

Hope this helps.
Rcbjr
Old 12-24-2005, 06:58 AM   #6
stevew

Model: Z10
Carrier: Koodo Mobile

Like DSL and Cable...I believe the upload speed is a fraction of the download speed...hence the long "requesting" at the bottom of your screen...

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Closed Thread