Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
rider997
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Bold 9700/ OS 5 sound profiles in and out of holster - HELP

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I've looked at a lot of threads on this, but I'm finding that it seems impossible to configure the sound profile / ring/vibrate setup the same on my 9700 as on my 8820.

I previously had the sound profile (Normal) set to a classic Motorola ring when OUT of holster so I could easily hear it across the room, etc. When IN holster, I had it set to a quiet "ping" so that even if the phone rang in a meeting, etc., the noise was not long or disturbing, but it was absolutely clear that the phone was ringing as opposed to some combination of vibrations.

Is there any possible way to either configure the stock OS like this or an add-on app that'll let me do it? I'm finding this to be an enormous pain, because if I take the phone out of the holster, I want a clamoring ring that I can't miss (like a regular landline), but when in holster I almost always want a brief, subdued chime or ding. It's obviously not feasible to change sound profiles every single time the phone is holstered all day long.

Thanks...
Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
Howard S.
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: AT&T

You can set it so that when it's in the holster all you get is vibrate with no sound. But it doesn't appear you can get two different sounds using the same profile on the 9700.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #3
LynxSI

Model: 9700B
Carrier: Telus
Post Need soft office ring?

I see what you mean. How did you do this on the 8820? Was it built into the stock OS?

I'm coming from a windows mobile corporate phone, just got my BB 9700 Bold. I have noticed that the vibrator in the 9700 bold doesn't seem that strong when its in the stock holster - I could miss it if I'm moving around or something. I can see the need for a soft "office phone" style ring.

You Should be able to find an app to switch profiles in and out of the holster.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
rider997
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynxSI View Post
I see what you mean. How did you do this on the 8820? Was it built into the stock OS?

I'm coming from a windows mobile corporate phone, just got my BB 9700 Bold. I have noticed that the vibrator in the 9700 bold doesn't seem that strong when its in the stock holster - I could miss it if I'm moving around or something. I can see the need for a soft "office phone" style ring.

You Should be able to find an app to switch profiles in and out of the holster.
Yes, OS 4 had a very different setup: Choose a ring/sound profile, then choose an event (calendar, messenger Phone, SMS, etc.), and you have two choices:

Out of Holster: (None, Tone, Vibrate, Vibrate + Tone)
Ring Tone
Volume
LED Flash notification
# of vibrations

and then

In Holster: and same options.

This was very, very useful. Now with OS 5 on the 9700 it's:

Ring Tone:
Volume
Play Sound: (In Holster, Out of holster, Always)
LED: (On, Off)
Vibration [choices of duration and count]
Vibrate: (In holster, Out of holster, Always)
Vibrate with ring tone: (On, Off)

I can't imagine how someone at RIM could have thought that this new system allowed the same flexibility of the old one. It's actually more confusing to figure out what's going to happen with a certain option set, and it's much less useful.
Closed Thread