BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #1
kkd123

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Singtel but the phone logo is voda
Exclamation Bold 9k cannot use Internet with wifi.

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone have same issue with me. I don't have data plan but ... If I can't use Internet with wifi then what's wifi for? I can switch on my data plan and use internet but that cost a bomb! The previous bill of mine was 175$ . just by using 22mb. I am connected to my home private wifi. The wifi also show thick means it's connected. But it keep say can't connect to Internet. How do I solve this? I want to surf net through wifi . I brought it month ago and Problem won't solve. Running on 5, battery life is excellent.

Last edited by kkd123; 12-12-2010 at 11:24 PM..
Old 12-15-2010, 06:29 PM   #2
kichigai

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: Bold 9k cannot use Internet with wifi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkd123 View Post
Does anyone have same issue with me. I don't have data plan but ... If I can't use Internet with wifi then what's wifi for?
There are two kinds of "Internet" with the BlackBerry. There's what is traditionally called Internet (raw TCP/IP in this case) and BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS). Most BlackBerry services go over BIS, and there is no way to override this. This includes E-Mail, BlackBerry Messenger, Exchange Contact/Calendar sync, and the "Internet Browser." SMS, MMS and WAP Browser use the traditional connections for those medias, and the "Hotspot Browser" uses raw TCP/IP over WiFi only. Some apps can use raw TCP/IP over GPRS and/or WiFi.

WiFi can also provide another connection path for BIS instead of connecting over GPRS, to provide faster BIS data access, an additional connection path for raw TCP/IP data, and (for T-Mobile and a couple other carriers in Europe) UMA (formerly known as GAN).
Quote:
I can switch on my data plan and use internet but that cost a bomb! The previous bill of mine was 175$ . just by using 22mb. I am connected to my home private wifi.
Using Internet without a plan, depending on your carrier, incurs GIGANTIC fees. Unless you ask your carrier to block all data connections, this will likely happen regardless of whether or not you try and use the Internet. An actual data plan would be cheaper, in terms of cost per megabyte.
Quote:
The wifi also show thick means it's connected. But it keep say can't connect to Internet.
That just means it's on the specific network. That doesn't mean it has an IP address or a BIS connection.
Quote:
How do I solve this? I want to surf net through wifi .
Use the Hotspot Browser. You can change the default by going into the settings and change default browser from the Internet Browser to Hotspot Browser. This will not prevent other applications from attempting to use the GPRS connection when you're not connected to a WiFi access point, but it will prevent the web browser from using anything but WiFi.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Bold 9k cannot use Internet with wifi.

Well said kichigai