Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
neumannu47

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Need Email Help with Older AT&T Blackeberry

Please Login to Remove!

A friend has a Blackberry that is about two years old. He's totally non-technical, so he asks me to help him with it. Since I don't have or use a Blackberry, I don't understand some things that I hope you will explain.

He has his own domain name and web site. Email sent to [email address] forwards to [email address]. While that configuration works okay, he'd probably be better off with an IMAP account on his server that he accesses from his Blackberry. What I don't understand is, if I create a new account on his server and set it up at att.blackberry.com, does the account automatically appear on his Blackberry? Is there anything that needs to be done on his Blackberry to get it to work?

If I can do everything from the web interface, I don't have to get him to bring his phone over. If he has to bring his phone over, I don't know where to look or what to configure. What do I need to do?
Old 12-18-2010, 06:05 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Need Email Help with Older AT&T Blackeberry

First off, we need to know the model number of the device.

I do not recommend using the att.blackberry.net email account for several reasons. (1) it is unfiltered for SPAM (2) If and when he leaves ATT, the email account is gone forever and cannot be transferred (3) the only way to read mail to that account is on the BB, so when there is a BB data outage, no can send or receive email to it or from it. Other accounts typically can use a PC mail client or webmail option. not this one.

If you set up the account in BIS, the service book is pushed to the BB and you will get an activation notice and mail will start arriving with 15 to 20 minutes.

What do you mean by "on his server"? If you mean the ATT BIS Site, yes, you can set it up from there as long as you have his user name and password and the user name, password and incoming email server for the email account.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
neumannu47

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Need Email Help with Older AT&T Blackeberry

When I get the model, I will post it. The user is traveling at the moment.

Let me try to explain the set up better. His primary email address is [email address]. That is, hisdomain.com is his own domain name on his own server along with his web site. A copy of each email sent to [email address] is forward [email address] after it is spam filtered. Should he change carriers, which is likely, all we have to do is point his email address to the new provider. So that's not a problem. Since he also POPS his email from his own server through Outlook at home, he can always get his email, even when AT&T is down.

I assume that BIS is the setup page I mentioned (att.blackberry.com). While I don't see "BIS" written anywhere, the tab says "Blackberry Internet Service", so I assume that's correct. He's definitely not using the Enterprise service.

So just to be clear, if I set up a new IMAP account in BIS (I do have his user name and password), all I have to do is wait 20 minutes, and the account will automagically appear on his Blackberry. I don't understand what the service book is, but if all he has to do is respond to an activation notice, then you have answered my question.
Closed Thread