Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Ali_B_73

Model: Torch
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Thumbs down Multi Users / Blackberry Synch Issue

Please Login to Remove!

Has anyone experienced this issue at all...

Environment : Windows 7 64-bit
BlackBerry Desktop : version 6
Handsets : Torch / Storm

Flow of events basically as follows :-
  • Storm being used by myself, synching with Outlook ok on version 5+ of Desktop software
  • Synching stopped working, so upgraded to version 6 of Desktop software
  • Calender (not installed) issue encountered initially, swapping calender option from email address to Facebook and then back again solved issue.
  • Upgraded handset with from Storm to Torch.
  • Switched devices successfully, synching on new Torch fine.
  • Given old Storm handset to wife to use - who has her own user account on the same computer
  • Running desktop software now on the second user account on the computer
  • Synch will not work at all for this second user - 'Unexpected Error' generated on even trying to enter the 'Configure Settings' under the 'Organiser' area of the Desktop software.
Whilst this scenario above might appear a bit complicated, to me it's simple - 2 users on 1 computer using 2 Blackberry handsets with their own Outlook accounts.

Any help or advice appreciated - my next move was going to be to do a completely clean uninstall / reinstall of Desktop software version 6 and try again, followed by attempting to reinstall version 5 and try again there.

I have tried adjusting User Account Controls on the computer as per one of the KB articles on support.blackberry.com, but this has done nothing either.

Very annoying...! This should just work. Help please..!!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Multi Users / Blackberry Synch Issue

You already tried what I would have suggested so the next thing would be to run the DM app in compatibility mode using a older version of windows such as XP.
Using DM in 64 bit mode generates a lot of issues with security and user account control

Last edited by tsac; 01-20-2011 at 10:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Ali_B_73

Thanks tsac.

Yes may well give that a shot, although the fact that it's a handset that has previously sync'd on this PC with this software on this OS, albeit under a different set of user credentials - and that my new handset is sync'ing fine right now, makes me wonder if it's something more fundamental in that the handset may have cached some settings from when I used it on this PC that I can't get at or change. Restore factory settings on it might be an option.

I will be doing the version 5 of the DM next - although I strongly suspect that will fail for the same reason as above.

Thanks for the reply though...
Old 01-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Ali_B_73

If anyone ever reads this wondering if it got solved as they have the same issue, I'm afraid I've bailed out and taken a manual workaround as I don't have the time to continue chasing this around.

Turns out the older handset doesn't synch at all on the second user account on the PC, but will synch still on my user account. So I've taken to dumping all Outlook contacts for the second user to CSV, then importing them to a new folder that I've created on the first user's Outlook and then synching with that. Can also synch the second user calender with the first user Outlook calender in the same way which is fine - all appointments being shared across both users means it's fine.

Rubbish to have to do this, absolute basics as far as I'm concerned that either RIM or Intellisync or whoever haven't got right.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Well at least you have a solution. Glad to hear that. It seems like you ran into the security control interaction with the PC OS and the BB OS. I know the DM tries to keep accounts separate and RIM should offer full explanations on how to do multiple users on a single PC or at least have a method of selecting options from the DM software.
As for doing a manual workaround, you did what most people do nowadays with all the bugs in software released by both the PC OS and electronics manufacturers, made your own fix.
Good solution.
Closed Thread