Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
mccorma

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT
Question Not receiving emails from a "noreply" sender

Please Login to Remove!

Hello, I am using the Beejive IM app on my BB. When you are idle or away, the app pushes an email out to let you know you missed an IM.

These emails come from a sender "noreply at beejive.com" address. For the email account that I have setup on my BB, I receive all other emails fine except the ones from Beejive "noreply". I have checked and there are no filters configured on the email account.

What am I missing??

Last edited by mccorma; 03-02-2011 at 09:59 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 06:57 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Not receiving emails from a "noreply" sender

If this is an email account you can access from the internet, or download with an email client on the computer, are the emails being received there? And they are not in the junk or spam filter at the email server?

Do you know for certain that the noreply messages is indeed being sent?

If you have other email addresses, what about changing the address inthe app account and seeing if same thing happens or not?
Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
mccorma

The emails are being pushed to a Hotmail account. I checked the other day, and they were going to the "junk" folder. I went to the the Hotmail spam filter setting, and set the sender as allowed and now they go to the Inbox.

I also went on the BB and set a email filter on the Hotmail account in question, with settings to ALLOW (or deliver) messages to the BB from "noreply@beejive.com" and "@beejive.com".

What is very odd is today I ran a test with a friend- had her send me an IM with Beejive in Idle status (which generates the subject email). The new message indicator on the BB for the Hotmail account lit up for a second (indicating a new email) and then went off. There was no email on the BB but it was in the Inbox on the Hotmail account on the web- like it made it to the BB for a second and then was deleted out.

This is very strange- is there another filter setting on the BB??

Last edited by mccorma; 03-03-2011 at 09:25 PM..
Old 03-03-2011, 11:58 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

This is all about how Hotmail is handling the messages. If Hotmail calls it spam, or otherwise flags it so it's not delivered to your inbox, it won't ever come to your BlackBerry.

You might need to tell Hotmail it's not spam more than once. Their spam filters have gotten more and more aggressive.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Also, double check what you did on your BIS settings. Make sure when you setup the filter there you didn't in fact block those emails.

But I do agree with rambo, you may find those emails in the spam box again. (I usually have the opposite problem, having to flag spam dozens of times before it finally gets caught by the spam filter.)
Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #6
mccorma

The emails are definitely going to the Inbox on Hotmail not Junk. And my friend who is helping me test, also has Beejive feeding the "NoReply" emails to her Hotmail account and they are flowing to her device, but she has an Android phone not a BB.......so I am pretty sure this is a BB/BIS issue-- as I said above when I did the test, the new email notice on the BB for Hotmail account blinked like a new message was there and then went out in about two seconds and there was no message.

I've redirected the Beejive emails to a Yahoo account that I also have setup on my BB, we'll see if that behaves any differently.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
mccorma

This is definitely a BB/BIS issue. I redirected the "noreply" emails to my Yahoo account, today there were a couple of them, they went to the Yahoo inbox (not junk or spam) but never made it to the BB. Still need some ideas on this!!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

It doesn't make any sense to me. It can't have anything to do with the 'norepy' as I have no problem with them, and I imagine you get then from other domains, too, right?

I've never had a problem with not receiving specific emails. In fact, I've experienced delays and BIS outages like we all have, but even then the emails still come through eventually.

This issue of yours is puzzeling.

EDIT: Have you had this BlackBerry since it was new, out of the box, or is it used? Is it possible there is an IT policy blocking those emails? I have no idea. Just a wild guess for lack of any better explanation.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-06-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
mccorma

I bought this BB used, so I guess it is possible there is an IT policy somewhere lurking on it that could be causing the issue. How would I investigate that?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If you are still on OS 5, go to options > security options > information. What do you see immediate under services? If you see *** no services *** then no IT policy. If you see something else, then IT policy.

If you are on OS 6, look around in security options for the same info.

Last edited by aiharkness; 03-06-2011 at 08:22 PM..
Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
mccorma

There is one entry here- BBFS1 [GTALKNA1] (AES).

Interesting it seems to have a reference to Google Talk (GTALK). I am using Beejive IM which is causing the issue, but logging into a Google Talk account (Beejive is a multi-platform app).
Old 03-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

If you looked that up and found reference to Google Talk, that makes sense. I remember an entry showing up under services for me one time, I think when I used google maps. It may not be a BES IT policy.

You could go through the process of removing an IT policy (see blackberryfaq.com) and see what happens. I would be curious enough to try it.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #13
mccorma

I was gone for a week and am just getting back to this issue. I loaded JL_cmder, did a backup to BB Desktop, then ran the "reset to factory" option and restored from the backup.

The problem still exists. Its driving me nuts. These emails are in my Hotmail/Yahoo inbox (I've tried both accounts) and are NOT marked as junk or spam.

There is something somewhere on the device that is deleting these after they get delivered, I've run my controlled test again and when one arrives, the new message notification for that email account blinks for a couple seconds then goes out and the email is not there.

Any other thoughts on where this setting would be buried????
Old 03-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't see how it could be the device. Something with BIS, or BIS in combination with the one email service.

Another idea is delete the accounts from BIS. Go ahead and delete the service books for those accounts as well. Wait several hours and then add the accounts back to BIS. Then test.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #15
mccorma

What is really odd is that since I posted this earlier today, in the same account I received a couple emails from another "noreply" sender and they were delivered!!! So it is not the "noreply" part of it that is causing the issue, maybe something then with the Beejive.com domain..........???? Does that change your thoughts-- is there a way to add a sender as a "safe sender" or anything??
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I was thinking about the domain, and that was the reason for my IT policy question. I don't have any other ideas.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
mccorma

What is really odd is that I did as you said, deleted the email account off the BB where the messages were sent, waited a couple of hours and reinstalled the email account. About an hour later, low and behold a message comes through from "noreply@beejive.com" so I think I've somehow stumbled onto a fix............today, its back to the same old thing again--- messages go to the device and get deleted. Oh well, I give up too...............
Closed Thread