Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
wrc1045

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default TMobile 9700 Media Card security

Please Login to Remove!

I haven't been on this board for a while. I do remember with an older blackberry that if I enable encryption on the media card and if something happened to the phone I could not access the media card if the phone was unable to boot or damaged/missing. Will this happen with TMobile OS6 for the 9700? I need to encrypt or password protect the files on the card. I carry client data with me and in an emergency I would need to access it (I always don't carry the companies secured USB and sometimes a computer with Internet access is not available. Can someone confirm this and/or what is the best way to go about this. Regards, RDL
Old 04-03-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: TMobile 9700 Media Card security

It's still the same.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

There are two (actually three options): encrypt using device key, encrypt using password, and encrypt using device key and password. It has always been that way as far as far as I recall. If you encrypt using just the password, then you will simply need to use the same password if/when you switch BlackBerrys and move the card to the new BlackBerry. But you will need to use a BlackBerry to open the files. If there is a way to open the files on a computer, I'm not aware of it. If you use the device key, you will not even be able to open the files, period, without the original BlackBerry.

EDIT: By the way, if you are using Documents to Go and sync'ing files between the BlackBerry and a computer, the encrypted files in your sync folder(s) will sync to the computer and be unencrypted on the computer unless you have an encryption application running on the computer.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-03-2011 at 04:02 PM..
Old 04-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
wrc1045

OK my next question as I browsed the Internet. If I set the password for the media card I can still got to a Windows machine and still open the files? I set the same to another 9700 with OS6 and it did not prompt me for the media card password. I could just navigate to the directory on the card. What can I check or what can I do. Regards,
RDL

Hmmm UPDATE

I tried to test it by also setting a KEY from one BB then I went to another BB and tried to acces it and it said it was encrypted and I could not view the files (pics mainly). went over to a Windows 7 box and I could view them all! what's up with that?

Last edited by wrc1045; 04-03-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Old 04-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The password I was referring to was the device password you would set in security options for to unlock the device, not a password on the media card.

I'm not sure this is what you are getting at with your question, but if you read a card from an encryption enabled BlackBerry in a computer, you will be able to access the directories and see the files names. The files that are encrypted will have a .rem extension. Files written before encryption was turned on will not be encrypted. If media files were exempted from encrption in options, those will not be encrypted either.
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
wrc1045

that was the answr I ws looking for. I had files on the card before. So how should I go about copying the card, enabling encryption and ensuring the files are incrypted then on out. Thanks for your response

RDL

UPDATE: soing a little thiking. should I copy the contents of the card, delete all the files, enable excryption using the password. then copying the files over using Windows or do I have to use the BB program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
The password I was referring to was the device password you would set in security options for to unlock the device, not a password on the media card.

I'm not sure this is what you are getting at with your question, but if you read a card from an encryption enabled BlackBerry in a computer, you will be able to access the directories and see the files names. The files that are encrypted will have a .rem extension. Files written before encryption was turned on will not be encrypted. If media files were exempted from encrption in options, those will not be encrypted either.

Last edited by wrc1045; 04-03-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok, assuming encryption is now enabled...

Using the BlackBerry, move each unencrypted file to another folder (a 'temporary' folder, the root directory, whatever, it should not matter). The BlackBerry wil encrypt the file when it move it. Verify this by making sure the file has a .rem extension at the new location. Repeat for each file. Then move each file back to the original location.

EDIT: A couple oh by the ways--

- If you disable encryption, the encrypted files will remain encrypted. If you wanted to remove the encryption, you would follow the procedure above, move the file to another location, then move it back (with encryption disabled).

- There are threads on the forum on the subject of not being able to email encrypted pictures. Maybe it's an OS 6 thing. I've always been able to email encrypted files, but I'm not on OS 6. At any rate, if you can't email a file and it's encrypted, that is likely the answer.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-03-2011 at 07:58 PM..
Closed Thread