BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Zurvan

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BES Express 5.0.3 Security Role Problem?

Please Login to Remove!

New Member here, I tried several searches but could not find anyone else complaining of this problem. I am wondering if nobody has noticed it, or if it is unique to my situation.

My company is getting ready to migrate from BES 4.1.6 to BES 5.x. In researching this, I have put up BES Express 5.0.3 in a test environment to see if it is worth it for us to migrate to the free version of BES.

I was testing different security roles in BESX, and created an account for our Help Desk using the Senior Helpdesk Administrator role. While logged in under that test account, I went into Manager Users, and just as a fluke tried to delete the default Security Administrator account that was created when I installed BESX. Color me surprised when it let me delete the Security Administrator account while logged in as a lowly Senior Helpdesk Administrator.

Luckily I had previously made other Security Administrator accounts. I created a few other test Security Administrator accounts just to see if it was a one time thing, or if I was seeing things. Each time, I was able to delete the Security Administrator account using the Senior Helpdesk Administrator Account.

Has anyone else come across this before? It seems like a potentially huge security problem, and I have not been able to come up with a solution to protect the Security Admin accounts.

Any help/guidance you guys can provide is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #2
cheeley

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone NZ
Default Re: BES Express 5.0.3 Security Role Problem?

I'd also be interested in this. I've created a role with the minimum of rights, just to allow the helpdesk to create new users & do device activations. It looks like the delete user right allows the user to delete any account, including the admin accounts.

I suppose I could create a group that contains only the handset users, and does not contain the admin user(s), and give the helpdes role rights to only that group - but what happens if the helpdesk user deletes a user (which is in this group), then recreates them? The new user wouldn't be in the handset group, and thus helpdesk wouldn't have visibility of them, surely?

EDIT: Actually it looks like the Delete User right is universal, and can't be limited to groups. So your role can either delete ANY user it wants, or none at all.

Last edited by cheeley; 08-16-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Closed Thread