Model: 7100i
Carrier: Nextel

Old 01-21-2005, 02:27 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T
Default verichat - price?

For those of you who have purchased VeriChat, how much did you pay? I was thinking my boss told me he paid $24.95 for it. I was about to go buy a copy today, but it was priced at $34.95 - $10 more than any other handheld version. That additional money is the reason why I'm holding off (based on principle not finances).
Old 01-21-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I don't remember ever seeing Verichat ever being priced at $24.95 .... are you sure?

Maybe ask support[at]pdaapps.com ... maybe there was a promotion at the start where it was priced at 24.95 in a time-limited sale.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-21-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
pdutta2000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Is Verichat going to add the ability to talk to more than one person in a session, meaning one IM session with 5 people all talking to each other?
Old 01-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #7
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

They are supposed to be working on that feature. Multiple-people MSN chat conversations should eventually be supported.

I am currently beta-testing Version 1.66. (If you are a paid registered user, you can contact them about giving it a try, just don't xxxxx about beta bugs.)

I think they'll be releasing something publicly soon, I am going to see if it stays connected 24/7 for the next 48 hours nonstop.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM   #8
jibi
BlackBerry God

Mark, the other versions of VeriChat are $24.95 (PalmOS, Windows Mobile/CE, etc). I believe my boss said that he got his for a bit more than $20 but he may have been referring to his previous purchase for his Treo 600 as well (he has a 7100t now and did purchase VeriChat for it too).

I'm not really sure. I just think the price is a bit off, considering every other offering is $10 cheaper. Its just a principle thing, really... They charge more for the one product they offer that can just about be guaranteed won't be cracked (unlike the PalmOS and Pocket PC offerings).

Hope that makes sense. I'm all for supporting a good product, but in this situation, it just honestly doesn't seem all that fair... C'est la vie, I suppose.
Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #9
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

It appears that BlackBerry software is generally three times more expensive than non-BlackBerry software. There's a big price difference with Idokorro MobileSSH, for example - $195 for BlackBerry versus $45 for other cellphones:
http://www.idokorro.com/
Old 01-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #10
jibi
BlackBerry God

i wonder why, though. is the demand in a business environment really there? is the code really all that different (i would imagine it could easily be ported to java from the binaries)?

or, like i stated earlier, is it just because the software can and will be cracked and pirated on the other OSes and this is their only current OS that they can control piracy.

i understand that the competition does not exist on this platform, thus prices can be more expensive (i think you explained this when one of the SSH companies increased their offering price - i think it was Idokorro). however, i think that the fact their software is not being pirated on this particular platform can also drive the prices up a bit to make an extra profit - people HAVE to pay if they want to use it (and this is understood).

while i'm all for a company (a start-up, nonetheless) making money by smart play in the game of economics, i don't think taking advantage of a situation (especially when you have other OS support for cheaper) is necessarily fair either (of course, i could be way off-base with my assumption). anyhow, just some ramblings for conversation.