Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
CorporateBlackberryGuy

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Desktop Manager Install: Get rid of Setup.exe in MSI

Please Login to Remove!

Hello to all,

Working on trying to package Blackberry Desktop Manager v6.1 into Microsoft SCCM. Normal install is to run Setup.exe proprietary wrapper over the actual MSI install. They do this to run the VC++ Prereq (instead of properly nesting it).

Only problem is that they then lock the MSI down to only run from Setup.exe. Yes, I know, their installation PDF says you can run /QN on the MSI, but that is not so. I have done it up/down/sideways, no dice. Done the Admin MSI, nope. Done the ONCHECKSILENTINSTALL=FALSE, nope. Removed the setup pieces via MST, nope. Quite a few other things I have tried, nope. Maybe it is something simple, or maybe someone knows the easy way to convert it back to ISM so I can get to the setting to remove it.

Oh, and just to mention, yes the SETUP.EXE /S command runs silent, but only on its own. In SCCM, it drops a MSI 1603 error. Plus, even just running the SETUP.EXE /S command won't take a MST so that I can put in our corporate config.

As I have repeated the same words for over a decade now, "Software Vendors think that the word Enterprise is defined by What Captain Kirk Flew."

Anyone out there got the MSI's Setup.exe command out? I have InstallShield 2011 to get in there to reach anything I need to.

Thanks a million for any advice anyone can impart on this.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #2
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long
Default Re: Desktop Manager Install: Get rid of Setup.exe in MSI

Isn't it illegal to repackage RIM's proprietary software? Or any company's for that matter.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
CorporateBlackberryGuy

Model: 7100
Carrier: AT&T

Not illegal. If you purchase the software legally, you can install it however you want. The bit on doing a repackage is that the vendor (any vendor) will then invalidate support.

Plus, bad practice to repackage a MSI into a MSI. You can't ever get all the pieces.

I do it in an MST. Then, you don't edit the MSI, you just change it for yourself. If something doesn't work, you can then send your MST to the vendor technical support easily. But in an MST, you can't get to the Setup.Exe-Requirement. You can only do that in the original ISM file, which I can't get.

I got our Blackberry internal guys to open a ticket to RIM for me. RIM Support guy acknowledged that past installs were unlocked and this one isn't, and he is going to try to get to the unlocked one and send it to me. I will post my results here of whatever they come back with.

Of course, after that, then it's back to trying to get rid of the initial config box so that (L)users don't see it and turn on Updates. In the packaging world, if it's not one thing, it's another
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
SamACCESS

Model: 7100t
Carrier: vodafone

Hi CorporateBlackberryGuy,

I have mananged to install desktop manager with the msi with the command line
Msiexec /i blackberry.msi SETUPEXEFLAG=1

I don't know if you can incorporate this into a mst

Hope it helps

Last edited by SamACCESS; 05-29-2012 at 06:10 AM..
Closed Thread