BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Makk

Model: 7130
Default Level 1 Messages?

Please Login to Remove!

I am trying to setup a new Blackberry I got.

What is a 'Level 1' message?
Old 02-17-2006, 02:09 PM   #2
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

High importance
Old 02-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Makk

Ok, I got that. I guess to ask better, what messages (email, phone) will the Blackberry consider Level 1 messages. If someone sends me an email that is marked 'high' on the importance flag, will it be considered a Level 1 message? Or will other conditions need to be met for the Blackberry to recognize it as a Level 1?

What I am driving at is that I would like the Blackberry to not vibrate/beep when I get regular email, but when someone sends me email at work and they mark it 'important' on Outlook (the little red exclamation point).. those I want the Blackberry to vibrate or beep.

I thought I set up my profile that way (turning off vibrate/notification on 'messages', but turning it on in the Level 1 messages area) but I tested it by sending myself an 'important' email and it didn't vibrate.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

You use the Level 1 Messages in conjunction with a Filter. For example, I can set up a filter that any messages with priority of 'high' or 'urgent' to be considered Level 1. Then under your Profile, set the Level 1 Messages to react how you want (tone, vibrate, etc). You can use the filter any way you want (by priority, from specific person, with specific subject, etc).
Old 02-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Makk

Now, that is very cool.

So now the question is, how do I set up a filter? I can't find it under 'Messages Options' (all I have is; 'General Options', and 'Email Reconciliation')
Old 02-17-2006, 03:04 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Sounds like you don't have v4.0 or higher handheld software, so you can do it from your PC using Desktop Manager. Click on the 'Redirector Settings' icon and there is a tab for Filters.

You can also use Filters to exclude specific mail from being sent to your handheld, if you wish.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
Makk

Thank You. That worked!

So I guess my company is to cheap to use version 4.0 of the software? bummer. I also don't have the 'Email Settings' thing under Message Options.. I guess that's the same reason? Bummer.. I am sure that means there is some good functionality which I don't have access to.

Unrelated question. On Outlook I have multiple personal folders. When I move a file on Outlook to a personal folder, it still shows on my messages on the handheld. Any way to fix that?
Old 02-17-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
Makk

Actually.. I just checked my unit and I do have version v4.0.0.204

so I wonder why I can't set up filters on the handheld or have the 'email settings' option.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Are you on a corporate/hosted BES, or are you using BIS (Blackberry Internet Service)? I'm on a BES...never used a BB via BIS.

Maybe someone else can chime in.....?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
GonzotheDuck
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

To do all that on the handheld, you have to be using 4.0 on the handheld and a BES with 4.0, I think. You also have to be using wireless activation.

Did you activate your BB wirelessly or via the usb cable attached to your pc?
Old 02-17-2006, 06:04 PM   #11
Makk

I am on a corporate/hosted BES.

My corporate computer people activated it. I think he activated it via USB. However, I think he did something wrong because he said 'i forgot my instructions sheet' and just sort of worked his way through it..

(also, I can't reply to emails or send emails at this point, or view attachments.. so something is definitely wrong.. I can receive them though)

I then tried to activate myself wirelessly (thinking the enterprise activation hasn't happenned and maybe I am just getting email a different way?) but not sure what email and password I needed to put in. I tried using my email address and the windows network logon password but it didn't work. How can I check if it's been 'enterprise activated'? (and if I am not.. how come I am getting my emails?)
Old 03-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #12
timmyc123
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am having a problem with this too. I sent an e-mail to my blackberry device with high priority. It will not show up as bold or make the alternate ringtone. I just get the exclamation point. I have the filter in BIS setup to have a high priority message forwarded as level 1.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:07 PM   #13
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Level 1 messages are generally PIN messages, You can change the option to no but then every PIN message you get will sound the same as your emails.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:19 PM   #14
codyman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: verizon

if you are using BES and have desktop manager loaded on your pc the best way to do this is to select redirector settings and then use filters - create a new filter for specific users (for example, your boss or your spouse) and set up a filter rule - select them as level 1 messages. Then on your handheld under profiles you can set up the rule for level 1 messages - i.e., you can select a different tone for them.

I have it set up for e-mail from my boss, their boss and my wife. When an e-mail comes into my exchange account and is forwarded to my berry the message is highlighted and plays a different tone.

If you really want to get fancy - you can set up outlook to put them in a different folder, have that folder sync to the berry and have them routed to that folder - they still show up in the message list but you can also select that folder and only see those messages - for example, you could set up a folder for 'e-mail from the boss' - they would show up in the berry message list but they would also be 'filtered' to that specific folder - you can then select just that folder and only see the e-mail from 'the boss'.

However, be careful, if you have a filter in outlook for 'mail from the boss' outlook will route them to that folder when they come in and they won't show up in the normal inbox view of outlook - but for that to happen you will have had to set up a filter in outlook - you don't need to do that.

Does that help?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US
Default Another filter question

I have a 7100i and I am on a BES for work and I use BIS for my personal e-mail account. I initially set up 5 filters (all set to forward as level 1) on the handheld (3 for mail sent to work address and 2 for personal address) but I could only ever get one of the work addresses to forward using the level 1 notification I set up. The rest would come through as all other e-mail does. This morning the went off and I surmised that the personal filters would have to be set up on the BIS and not the BES. So, I removed those two from the handheld/BES and went to my BIS e-mail account and set them up there. I have not had an opportunity to check those yet.

One of the filters is for the "ball and chain" for when she sends me mail at work from her place of employment. I had her send a test e-mail after I had made the changes and hers still come through as all the rest of my mail does. Am I doing something else wrong? I have all the filters set up the same and the one from my boss works but not the wife??

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Scott

Got it. Found importance level for ball and chain filter set to "Low" and the bosses set to "Normal".

Last edited by scassel; 03-16-2006 at 01:40 PM..
Closed Thread