Old 01-30-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
MyBlueBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: tmo
Default .

Quote:
Edit by Mark Rejhon:
This entire thread was split away by Mark Rejhon from the main "MyBlueBerry" thread. Please remain on-topic when posting on BlackBerryForums and avoid getting political. This goes to everybody from both sides of all parties.

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 PM   #5
DrBB

Reply from the other thread - seems to be duplicates:
--
So you purchased your Microsoft licensing on ebay?
Old 01-30-2005, 07:44 PM   #6
djmarcox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Did you go with the Action Pack from microsoft because I was thinking to do it because of its price???
Old 01-30-2005, 08:12 PM   #7
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:38 PM   #8
DrBB

Ok. Let me preface by saying I am commenting based on what MyBlueBerry has stated. I am in NO WAY flaming or making any references that should be construed as such.

Now, we have found out how he is running his service so cheaply. Yes, his pricing is the best. Yes, he is doing a GREAT service to the BB community at $10 per month. However, what he has just stated – “25 cal retail” – means that he is running his business on 25 retail Microsoft licenses. Now, if he has 25 users or UNDER he is legally licensed. I really doubt that there are he has fewer than 25 customers, though. It wouldn’t pencil out to a profit if there weren’t (we’ve already discussed all their expenses).

As per his comment about clearing it with Microsoft, he is *partially correct*. Buying retail licenses on eBay is perfectly legal (VLK, however, is not). Running a business on 25 CALs if he has more than 25 users is illegal and a direct and (it seems) willful violation of the Microsoft Software License Agreement.

So, here’s my take on this. Based on what MyBlueBerry has said, without any additional information, if I was a MyBB user (which I actually thought about before), I would RUN from the service. I don’t want to imply they don’t have impeccable service and support, because they do. But, if Microsoft finds out they are illegally licensed, as an application service provider, they would be shutdown and removed (not to mention sued). I’d hate to loose my corporate calendar, contacts, email, and personal data because of this.

It seems that we now know the answer to the “question of the decade”. Other companies like eOutlook, Mailstreet, and BES4U all have similar pricing b/c they are legally licensed. It seems, now, that MyBB is not.

Without any additional responses from MyBlueBerrry (which I hope I am wrong, by the way – its never good to see companies running illegally or improperly licensed software…it hurts us all!), then I think we can safely say we found the answer to our initial question.

---
Off the side comment:

I know David @ BES4U mentioned that he was banned from mybb and it was said to be b/c he "stole" something from the site, and said it was a "bad business practice". I can't think of a worse business practice than not properly licensing software.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:44 PM   #9
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:50 PM   #10
DrBB

Still, very questionable and shady. These are definately not "normal" business practices. I mean, why is it that *every* exchange hosting & BES provider out-there is more than 2x the price? These guys have SPLA...the cheapest. It doesnt add up.

Sorry, but you're responses still leave much to be desired. I'll rest by saying that A) I would recommend putting critcal data on servers that, and I quote, were "POS upgrades", and B)licensing that seems to be questionable, at the least.

Anyway, I think users can form there own opinion. Only you and Microsoft can actually know. Its impossible to know the truth unless a company is audited. End of story.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:54 PM   #11
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:59 PM   #12
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 PM   #13
DrBB

Hate to say it, but its the licensing that doesnt add up. I just sold a VLK "at cost" to a company who is running exchange server for 50 users. It was around $8,000. Retail is WAY more expensive.

As for employees, etc - thats cheap and not needed. Its the licensing that adds up quick!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #14
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
DrBB

Well, I wouldn't rest assured knowing that, if I was a MyBlueBerry customer, my data was resting in the bed of a "POS upgrade". Is that what we call reliable?

With respect to licensing, you may or may not have it. If those were bought the *ethical way*, you'd be no where near the price you could charge. And yes, Mailstreet has tons of employees. They also get the CHEAPEST CALs and licenses. They are a gold certified ms partner. Believe me, its NOT the employee costs that make it that price. It is the LICENSING COSTS. These guys dont do the shady licensing practices. They pride themselves on ethics and good business practices.

And as far as bickering goes - no one here has done that. People just want to know how you can legally do what you've done. I think we all know the answer, based on your original posts.

I'm just PROUD to be a supporter of a company who excercises morals, ethics, and good business sense in providing hosted exchange and BES soltutions. Mobile Web 4 U has *actual servers* (not "POS upgrades, lol), licensing *direct* from Microsoft (legally and ethically, just like the big boys), and has 100% dedication to their customers. That's the kind of company I deal with. Sorry, but my corporate data isn't going to be stored in someone's basement.

Enough said...we all have our own opinions and views. You go your way, and we'll go ours.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:05 PM   #16
ScOObydoo
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Curve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBB
Well, I wouldn't rest assured knowing that, if I was a MyBlueBerry customer, my data was resting in the bed of a "POS upgrade". Is that what we call reliable?
I read it as being a Point Of Sale upgrade. No reason to think it might be unreliable.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:07 PM   #17
DrBB

We all know the real meaning of POS, Scooby. LOL.

Even if it was "Point of Sale Upgrades", those do NOT just magically become high-end servers needed to efficiently run Exchange. I mean, its in their basement...they certainly arent the rock solid DELL equiptment that companies like Mailstreet, eOutlook, and BES4U use.

Also, what about security? I mean, if these "POS Upgrades" are in someone's basement, how can they possibly be secure? It is CORPORATE DATA, in many cases, that we are talking about. I wouldn't trust my confidential electronic messages, memos, and personally identifiable information to be left in someone's basement, myself.

I'll keep the POS definition we all know to be true...
Old 01-30-2005, 10:19 PM   #18
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:27 PM   #19
DrBB

Sure...every hosting company that runs from their basement is all about the Xeon...and DELL...of course.....

No reason at all to worry about instability...I'm sure the linux expert is a certified Microsoft Partner and has years of exchange administration experience....aren’t all basement dwelling IT pros?

Yea, sorry, but again my corporate data would NEVER go into someone's house, let alone their basement. Most homes today have monitored security systems. Would I rely on them to watch over my enterprise data systems? Absolutely not! If you have such a big hosting business, why don't you put them in your datacenter? Or are all of your systems in your basement? I bet its common practice for major hosting companies to operate out of the storm-cellers....

Just like Nextel. I'm DONE.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:42 PM   #20
MyBlueBerry

Deleted by user.
Closed Thread