BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 09:55 AM   #1
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Verizon
Default Verizon Tethering - Subscribe as needed?

Please Login to Remove!

Took a long time to find info on the tethering option Verizon provides. Their search doesn't bring up a relevant page on it. Adding features to my existing 7130e plan doesn't show anything on it. I finally found it at http://estore.vzwshop.com/overview/w...accessconnect/ by pretending to sign up for a new phone.

I don't have an ongoing need for tethering. It's only useful to me when traveling and I won't have broadband in the room and if EVDO is available in that area. My question is, can I pay $15 for each month I want access and then before the month is up, cancel that service? Anyone have any experience doing that with Verizon?

I know, sounds cheap, but spending another $15x12 for very infrequent use doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a viable option, can I just call up and have it enabled and then call again and cancel it?

Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #2
ina-nyminute
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekNJ
Took a long time to find info on the tethering option Verizon provides. Their search doesn't bring up a relevant page on it. Adding features to my existing 7130e plan doesn't show anything on it. I finally found it at http://estore.vzwshop.com/overview/w...accessconnect/ by pretending to sign up for a new phone.

I don't have an ongoing need for tethering. It's only useful to me when traveling and I won't have broadband in the room and if EVDO is available in that area. My question is, can I pay $15 for each month I want access and then before the month is up, cancel that service? Anyone have any experience doing that with Verizon?

I know, sounds cheap, but spending another $15x12 for very infrequent use doesn't make sense to me.

If it's a viable option, can I just call up and have it enabled and then call again and cancel it?

Thanks!
That's a good question. I'm considering the same thing.
I'm looking today at getting the 7130e and the modem plan for my laptop.

I was able to turn on & off vcast on my e815.
I turned on vcast for baseball scores then at the end of the season had it turned off, now soon I will be re-enabling.

btw, What part of Jersey are you using your bb in?
I'll be working (service & install of phone/computer systems) in central jersey from Newark down to Trenton and I'm wondering how much evdo I'll get, but if I can only get 1x that'll be okay
Old 03-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #3
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

I live in Northern NJ and work in NYC. I have EVDO in a good portion of the areas I use the phone in.

You mentioned 1x. 1x is no data services. 1X is data and 1XEV is EVDO.

Appreciate anyone elses feedback if they've enabled tethering as needed vs on an ongoing basis.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #4
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

If you do not subscribe to the $15 service and you do tethering you will be charged on a per kilobyte basis. Now depending on how much usage you give it that $15 could be eaten up in one connection alone, so if you are going to use it a lot you are better off subscribing.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 03-12-2006, 11:21 AM   #5
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
If you do not subscribe to the $15 service and you do tethering you will be charged on a per kilobyte basis. Now depending on how much usage you give it that $15 could be eaten up in one connection alone, so if you are going to use it a lot you are better off subscribing.
I understand completely. My question is if it's possible to subscribe as needed and unsubscribe for a while and resubscribe again.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:26 AM   #6
rohardi
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

has anyont thought about getting rid of your internet sevice provider at home. using the 7130 and just paying the 15 per month as long as you get good service at home. If you have a land line you could foward calls to a land line. If you don't foward calls, I think your 7130 will still ring but you would lose internet. just wondering
Old 03-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #7
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

The good news is it looks like where I will be this month is EVDO enabled. Now if I could just confirm from someone here if they know or have personally done what I
asked in my original post.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 AM   #8
amsolo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Default sure u can

Verizon always said u can change ur plan at any time - no restrictions, no fees. I will be doing this exact thing next month - just turning ON 'tethering' for the 2 weeks im on vacation in Miami.

Im gonna call them now and make sure.

Yep - took 3 transfers and 30 minutes, but can do. (they are getting as bad as T-mobile)
Old 03-13-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
ina-nyminute
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7510

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekNJ
The good news is it looks like where I will be this month is EVDO enabled. Now if I could just confirm from someone here if they know or have personally done what I
asked in my original post.
Maybe you need to call Verizon cs and ask.

It seems nobody knows.

I went to a circuit city verizon today but it was too crowded so I didn't get a chance to ask your exact question.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #10
Raven
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: VZW

Have to tryied shark modem?
It $30 for the software and zero to VZW....
I use it as a backup when there is no wifi or hard lan.
Had not used it in EVDO yet but in 1X i get 70kbps, a lot better than dailup where i am, which is 26kbps or 48kbps if your lucky.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #11
GeekNJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ina-nyminute
Maybe you need to call Verizon cs and ask.

It seems nobody knows.
... including the Verizon rep I first spoke with. He couldn't even find the option to add tethering broadband access for $15.

After being on hold for a few mins he came back to tell me he spoke with someone and got it added. He told me I was pro-rated this month at around $13 and then pre-pay next month (they bill in advance) for $15 and each month after that it's $15.

We'll see how it works in Orlando
Old 03-26-2006, 04:11 AM   #12
aleggie

Model: 7130e
Default Verizon Tethered and Bluetooth

I spoke to someone at the Verizon counter at Circuit City and he was saying that I'm able to connect via bluetooth. Is this true?
Old 03-26-2006, 04:35 AM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

No.

The Bluetooth on a BlackBerry is currently limited to wireless headsets, a few keyboards, and syncing of PIM data in place of the USB cable.

No data transfer.

That person was clueless.
Closed Thread