BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:19 AM   #1
Badgermac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Wireless Provider Choice

Please Login to Remove!

We got a thread going with what blackberry you may us,e but what about the provider choice you have made? I tried t-mobile but here in Wisconsin they are spotty, and ATTWS has the best service thus far for me. Verizon is OK but the BB they offer are quite slow. once ATTWS and Cingular merge it will be all the better.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:29 AM   #2
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

By the looks of it with the ATT merger with Cingular you'll see offers like roll over minutes provided to ATT customers and Cingular customers will deffinately benefit from ATT roaming agreements. Beyond examples as such its really hard to see what else will happen especially with two cultures of that size coming together as one.

I've always said that there is no perfect carrier or cell plan for that matter. I try to tell my client to look long term when choosing a carrier ie. coverage, roaming agreements, int'l coverage for travellers to name a few.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
Jeevz

I use Verizon in WI am very happy with the coverage. I was pleasantly surprised at the voice quality, and do notice that some app's run a little slow when opening or keys respond slowly when entering numbers while on the phone. Overall, I feel that the coverage and quality outweigh the minor inconvenience of BreakOut opening slowly.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:44 AM   #4
Badgermac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Another WI-ite here eh? I was with Verizon until I moved to New Berlin - the coverage there was spotty but for some reason Cingular/ATTWS worked out better for me.

Plus I'm a tech-geek and wanted to play around with GSM.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #5
adept
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Telus Mobility

We mainly use the CDMA2000 / 1X network from Bell Mobility (Canada) here.

They have gone well beyond the call of duty to satisfy our needs as a client and are now in the process of streamlining our billing operations.

The quality of the signal strength is consistant and dependable.

Other suppliers are AT&T (US), and Rogers (Canada) for specific users who had special needs/requirements/preferrences.
Old 09-08-2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I use Rogers Canada. They finally have excellent Ontario coverage nowadays since November 2003 when they deployed the new GSM850. Things like the Toronto Union station jumped from just 1 bar to 5 bar, and two-level-down-underground parking garages jumped from 0 bars to 2 bars. I can get 4 or 5 bars on my 7280 in places where old Rogers phones only get 1 bar! On top of the excellent RF electronics in the 7280, it is reported by HoFo members with signal testing, Usually the improvement is only 2-3db but some places actually show a whopping 10db improvement. And that is from the same celltowers in the same location! A good thread is 850/900/1800/1900 Breakdown & Info thread on HoFo.

I heard Bell has excellent coverage. As it has been a while since I last used Bell Mobility, I don't know how they compare. But I think they compare well in Ontario, I sometimes get better reception than some Bell users with the excellent 7280. But it is phone-dependant as well. (not in certain places like PEI -- Bell is better there, no doubt!!) But Bell is a bit slow with Blackberries, and the CPU in the CDMA Blackberry 7750 is super slow compared to the 7280, meaning applications take much longer to load on the 7750 than 7280. Hope this is fixed in a future Bell CDMA model.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread