BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
brianodell

Model: none
Default BRAND NEW to the BB scene..

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently in Metro-Detroit area, MI and have had Nextel for 5+yrs. I'm looking into getting a BB in a few days. I'll use the device for my business, so I'll need to take advantage of the features of the BB, and GOOD voice...

??

what BB models are better than the others? and does anyone have any experience in my area w/signal / voice??

a. stick w/nextel
b. switch to sprint
c. totally get out of the sprint nextel co, and switch to: verizon? tmobile? cingular??

Just looking for opinions...I'm BRAND NEW to the blackberry scene...

Thanks!!
Old 06-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #2
InPocket
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: VZW
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianodell
I'm currently in Metro-Detroit area, MI and have had Nextel for 5+yrs. I'm looking into getting a BB in a few days. I'll use the device for my business, so I'll need to take advantage of the features of the BB, and GOOD voice...

??

what BB models are better than the others? and does anyone have any experience in my area w/signal / voice??

a. stick w/nextel
b. switch to sprint
c. totally get out of the sprint nextel co, and switch to: verizon? tmobile? cingular??

Just looking for opinions...I'm BRAND NEW to the blackberry scene...

Thanks!!

I was going to startup a new thread similar to this. I am in the same boat as you - except im coming from a different smartphone..the xv6700. Ive narrowed it down to the 8700g on the T-Mobile channel. I also did a review of the service and it didnt miss the Verizon rating by much, which was nice. On top of that, it won the JD Powers and Associates award for wireless tech for the past 3 years.

I guess my question is the same as yours - for national coverage, especially NY/NJ..and detroit (and ill be going to vegas soon), is T-Mobile reliable? do YOU get bars when traveling?
Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #3
MikesTechSvcs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

brianodell,

Firstly, I would like to say a 'preliminary' welcome to the BlackBerry world.
In my area (Huntsville, AL) the best service seems to be Cingular.
However, in your area of Detriot.. it says Verizon is the best network for coverage.

I looked at a website that posts comments about cell phone coverage in your area of Detroit. It says that verizon is the best network for your area. I would post it, but this website says I have to have 10 posts or more to post links.

Secondly, I'm not certain what type of business you run/own, but in my business of Computer Repair and stuff, I've found wireless e-mail to be an essential part of my customer support. Having said that, the plan I have encompasses 4 people. Myself, my wife, my mother and my father. Now, I'm the only one with a blackberry, the rest all have Razr's. We're on a family talk plan so we all share minutes, but I don't use the voice side as much as the Data side.

Thirdly, in choosing a phone, I would recommend looking at a few things to help your decision become easier.
A) Functionality - What does the phone do for you!
B) Durability - Are you planning on being in a lot of tight places or elevators that may dunce your signal?
C) Pricing - First and foremost, though, it is a write-off for us business owners-- You don't want to spend an arm and a leg just to get a phone. Nevermind taking out a second mortgage for it. Get the most bang for your buck.

Just a note :: I had a Blackberry 7280 model. Worked great.. but I quickly reailzed that I need my hands free for driving. So I upgraded to a BlackBerry 8700c. Cingular was offering me a one-time shot at one for $149.99 with free shipping. Hard to pass up.

Hopefully, this little comment section has helped you out somewhat. If you have any future concerns, you can find my contact information in my profile along with some helpful hints.

Good luck! Enjoy.
- MTS

Edit :: I know in the New York/New Jersey area, verizon I hear has the best service. Looks like it's gonna be the same for both you gents.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianodell

If you do a search of this forum you cand find the answers you're looking for.
you might want to start by checking out this thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=35447

PIN: 2031512F
Old 06-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #5
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Can you provide the link to where it shows rating in each area. I would like to see who is the best in my area. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikesTechSvcs
brianodell,

Firstly, I would like to say a 'preliminary' welcome to the BlackBerry world.
In my area (Huntsville, AL) the best service seems to be Cingular.
However, in your area of Detriot.. it says Verizon is the best network for coverage.

I looked at a website that posts comments about cell phone coverage in your area of Detroit. It says that verizon is the best network for your area. I would post it, but this website says I have to have 10 posts or more to post links.

Secondly, I'm not certain what type of business you run/own, but in my business of Computer Repair and stuff, I've found wireless e-mail to be an essential part of my customer support. Having said that, the plan I have encompasses 4 people. Myself, my wife, my mother and my father. Now, I'm the only one with a blackberry, the rest all have Razr's. We're on a family talk plan so we all share minutes, but I don't use the voice side as much as the Data side.

Thirdly, in choosing a phone, I would recommend looking at a few things to help your decision become easier.
A) Functionality - What does the phone do for you!
B) Durability - Are you planning on being in a lot of tight places or elevators that may dunce your signal?
C) Pricing - First and foremost, though, it is a write-off for us business owners-- You don't want to spend an arm and a leg just to get a phone. Nevermind taking out a second mortgage for it. Get the most bang for your buck.

Just a note :: I had a Blackberry 7280 model. Worked great.. but I quickly reailzed that I need my hands free for driving. So I upgraded to a BlackBerry 8700c. Cingular was offering me a one-time shot at one for $149.99 with free shipping. Hard to pass up.

Hopefully, this little comment section has helped you out somewhat. If you have any future concerns, you can find my contact information in my profile along with some helpful hints.

Good luck! Enjoy.
- MTS

Edit :: I know in the New York/New Jersey area, verizon I hear has the best service. Looks like it's gonna be the same for both you gents.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
MikesTechSvcs
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Sure, it's right here.

Just plug in your ZIP code there and it will show all those details and stuff on the page.

- MTS
Closed Thread