Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular
Default Hands on review: Updated Blackberry 8700 USB Desktop Cradle

Please Login to Remove!

Updated Blackberry 8700 USB Desktop Cradle

Hands on review by lgreenberg

May 24, 2006

Price as reviewed: $24.95 for cradle with USB cable only or $34.95 for cradle with USB cable and Travel charger

A few weeks ago I reviewed the newly released desktop top cradle from Seidio here.

At that time I discovered a major flaw with the cradle. It seemed the USB connector was not making proper contact with the USB port on the Blackberry and therefore not properly maintaining the necessary connection to allow the Blackberry to either charge or sync.

Since Seidio did not directly manufacturer this cradle they were not the only ones experiencing this issue. The same cradle sold under the Amzer name, which I reviewed here, suffered the same problem.

Well Seidio isnxxx8217;t a company to put out something that doesnxxx8217;t work. Once they heard about the issue they vowed to fix it and sure enough they have. Today I received, from Seidio, an updated version of the USB Desktop Cradle for the Blackberry 8700.

Looking at the cradle itxxx8217;s hard to tell anythingxxx8217;s different. But as soon as you start using the cradle itxxx8217;s sure easy to see somethingxxx8217;s changed.

In order to correct the issue Ixxx8217;m told Seidio had the connector on the cradle made longer. This insures a good connection is made each and every time the Blackberry is inserted in the cradle. Itxxx8217;s pretty hard to tell therexxx8217;s a difference. Unfortunately I donxxx8217;t have the old cradle to compare it to.

Ixxx8217;ve briefly tested the cradle both ways (charging and syncing) and have yet to not maintain the proper connection.

Review wise not much else has changed so most of the remaining text is pulled from my previous review.

Therexxx8217;s nothing like being on the cutting edge. I love when companies see something thatxxx8217;s missing in the market place and fill the hole with a wonderful new product. Seidio has done it again with the release of their Blackberry 8700 Desktop Cradle.

Since the Blackberry 8700xxx8217;s charging port is uniquely located on the side of the device designing a cradle which would not only hold the device upright but charge and sync it as well would be no easy task.

RIM themselves hadnxxx8217;t done it yet. Those of us who liked using a cradle were forced to use the RIM cradle designed for the 72xx series Blackberry.

This sort of worked but it really didnxxx8217;t hold the 8700 securely. The slightest bump and out came the device. Not to mention you needed to plug the OEM cables directly into the Blackberry. This was really nothing more than a stand. Good for keeping the device upright but not really safe.

Well it wasnxxx8217;t long ago that David Chang from Seidio surveyed Blackberry Forums members about what products theyxxx8217;d like to see developed for the 8700. A cradle seemed to be at the top of everyonexxx8217;s list. A few short weeks later, BAM! Seidio releases there own cradle for the 8700. I love it!

The cradle is available in two configurations.

For $24.95 youxxx8217;ll get the cradle and a mini USB to USB cable. This will allow you to sync your Blackberry with your computer as well as charge it but only when your computer is turned on.

Or for $34.95 you get the ultimate set up. Not only do you get the cradle and the mini USB to USB cable but you also get a DC to USB cable and a USB/DC charging adapter. This allows you to both sync your Blackberry with your PC. It also allows you to charge your Blackberry even when your computer is turned off.

For me itxxx8217;s no decision. For the extra $10 Ixxx8217;d go with the full package every time. Personally I turn my computer off every night and thatxxx8217;s the time I plug my Blackberry in to be charged. I mean think about it. When your computerxxx8217;s turned on, youxxx8217;re sitting in front of it. Chances are youxxx8217;re reading your e-mail on your PC. I let my Blackberry charge when Ixxx8217;m not using it.

The cradle is made of hard, durable, black plastic. There is no branding of any kind on the cradle.

The back of the cradle has to ports, one for the mini USB cable and one for the power adapter.

Once everythingxxx8217;s plugged in the cradle emits a blue light on the front letting you know itxxx8217;s drawing power. I was somewhat disappointed to see that the light really doesnxxx8217;t do anything else. It just keeps a constant blue.

I donxxx8217;t use my LED on the Blackberry itself. So it would be great if the blue LED on the cradle was actually a charging indicator. I wished it only lit up when charging was actually occurring instead of lighting up as soon as the cradle itself is plugged in.

To insert the 8700 in to the cradle you simply position it along the grooved area of the cradle.

Because of the special location of the mini USB port on the Blackberry it's important to really push hard on the device to make sure a proper connection is made. It's not as easy as simply dropping the device into the cradle and off you go. It does take a little work to get it done. It can be inserted one handed but for me requires two to remove.

Then you slide it in.

For those of you who use Egrips I found when I had them on my battery door it was much harder to make the proper connection between the device and the cradle. Once I removed the Egrips from the back inserting the device into the cradle became much easier.

I donxxx8217;t plan on removing my Egrips but wanted to make anyone who does use them aware of this. Itxxx8217;s not a problem per se. It doesnxxx8217;t seem to effect the overall usage of the cradle itself. It just makes that initial insertion of device to cradle a little stiffer.

With both cables plugged in the back youxxx8217;ll also be able to sync your device with the cradle.

One thing worth mentioning. If you are an extended battery user take note. Siedio is working on a version of this cradle which will accommodate the extended battery. So if you primarily use the larger battery you may want to wait.

Also, it's impossible to use this cradle while your device is in a case or skin. If you use a form fitting case or skin just be aware, you'll have to remove your device from the case every time you want to charge it on this cradle.

This updated version is without flaws and gets my highest rating. 5 out of 5 Blackberries.

Pros: Nothing else like it available, charges and syncs.
Cons: LED doesnxxx8217;t indicate when charging is occurring, won't work with any skins or cases.

Last edited by lgreenberg; 06-09-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 06-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
cooperpwc
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700R
Carrier: Rogers

Excellent news! My updated cradle is on its way and I'm glad that it's the same design as before. The design was excellent but for the connection issue (and the silly blue LED but that's more a missed opportunity than anything else).
Old 06-08-2006, 10:16 PM   #3
Keebler
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMO

we got our two demos in today and they are great. I'm sure we will be ordering more here in the soon time.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:08 AM   #4
jnelson2000

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebler
we got our two demos in today and they are great. I'm sure we will be ordering more here in the soon time.
Glad things are working for you too. I have two duds from the initial batch and Sedio (David) won't return my calls or emails for exchange.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:19 AM   #5
oscqc

After reading your very positive review, I have ordered one for my Bb 8700r. I believe that is essentially the same at the 8700c. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:50 AM   #6
seidioseidio

Model: 9630
Carrier: AT&T | Verizon | T-Mobile | Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000
Glad things are working for you too. I have two duds from the initial batch and Sedio (David) won't return my calls or emails for exchange.
PLease give me your order #, I will ask David Silver to contact you right away.

David CHang
Seidio
[email address]
Old 06-09-2006, 12:51 PM   #7
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscqc
After reading your very positive review, I have ordered one for my Bb 8700r. I believe that is essentially the same at the 8700c. Thanks.
Yes, it will work with 8700r also.

David Chang
Seidio
[email address]
Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 PM   #8
seidioseidio

The discount is back for 8700 Desktop cradle (updated one)

I have received many request to offer the discount code for Seidio 8700 cradle in connection with Larry's review on the update version.

Please use the same dicount code which is USBCR8700

The discount code will expire by June 16, 2006. Great gift for father day.

Thank you members for all your support and patience.

David Chang
Seidio
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #9
MGO
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default Extended Battery

Is this compatible with the extended battery? If not when will it be?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #10
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold

Received mine yesterday and it works perfectly, only annoyance is the blue light which indicates absolutely nothing more than the cradle is plugged in. If you place the cradle too close to you it can be annoying bright. That said, I love it, if I get a call, I just hit the speaker button and with the 8700's great speaker phone, I can talk to my client and can hear him/her without it being muffled by having the speaker in the 8700 laying down on the desk.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
bostonnerd

Model: z10

Received mine as well and couldn't be happier with it (other then the glaring blue light).
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #12
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGO
Is this compatible with the extended battery? If not when will it be?

Thanks
No it is not.

Seidio is working on a version which will work with the extended battery.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:20 PM   #13
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd
Received mine as well and couldn't be happier with it (other then the glaring blue light).
Black duct tape will fix it.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #14
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnelson2000
If you are talking about me, I have nothing from you that I can find in my mailbox. I return calls same day. If you are having a problem, please contact me directly by the email below. Send me YOUR phone number and I'll be happy to call you any time that works for you.

David
[email address]
Old 06-09-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
BBRaffey
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Default For David

Hey David, The new cradle is fantastic. Just a suggestion when you order a new batch. Have them tone down that LED. It seems as though nobody likes it (including me). Next time the Space Shuttle passes over my house, I'm thinking of putting it outside so the astronauts can see it. A little black electrical tape cures the problem.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #16
lgreenberg

The LED is sort of useless.

I'd love to see it made into something that indicates when charging is occurring.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:55 PM   #17
seidioseidio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRaffey
Hey David, The new cradle is fantastic. Just a suggestion when you order a new batch. Have them tone down that LED. It seems as though nobody likes it (including me). Next time the Space Shuttle passes over my house, I'm thinking of putting it outside so the astronauts can see it. A little black electrical tape cures the problem.
Would you get any kind of tax credit for that? Seems like it should be worth something. And how about the holiday season and lights - I'm sensing a neighborhood "best display" award in your near future...

David
[email address]
Old 06-09-2006, 08:37 PM   #18
Liv

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

great review green!

Just thought I would point out since I myself am horrible with typos:
Quote:
Updtaed Blackberry 8700 USB Desktop Cradle

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 06-09-2006, 08:55 PM   #19
lgreenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv
great review green!

Just thought I would point out since I myself am horrible with typos:
LOL.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:20 AM   #20
lgreenberg

I've experienced another issue with the cradle which I hope is easily solved.

Did anyone else opt for the travel adapter (DC chager) with their cradle?

Well I did and it doesn't seem to work. Yesterday I had my computer off and the DC charger plugged in. The light on the charging plug was on indicating it was drawing power but when I checked my Blackberry this morning it was at 65% battery. Clearly it was not being charged.

I'll have to contact Seidio about this and see what they say.