BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #1
knoppi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default MS Push vs. BB connect vs. GL

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

we are running our own BES on Domino with some real BBs, but I tried BB connect, GL, and MS Push (with EXCH) on the E61 and other devices (Treo, 9300).

In my opinion, BB connect is useless, unless its not BES 4 compatible. MS push, albeit I don't like it, behaves better. I HAVE my contacts synchronized two ways. But to be honest, the best way to go if you don't want to use a real BB is GL. GL is giving you what you may expect from BB connect.

But today, I ordered a 8700g. I don't want to miss a true BB

Oliver
Old 06-14-2006, 07:48 AM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

This doesn't surprise me to much. Good Link is the most mature of the three. I expect that BlackBerry Connect and MS 'Push' email will get better over time and close the gap.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #3
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

I reckon RIM should adopt the Goodlink style of working with non RIM devices by providing a client to install on the unit. This way they can dictate the functionality of the email client and also provide a common user interface across different devices. The current BB connect way of integrating into the non RIM device leaves too much control to the manufacturer and they are just not choosing to implement all the features.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:56 PM   #4
Good_Guy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_fisher
This doesn't surprise me to much. Good Link is the most mature of the three. I expect that BlackBerry Connect and MS 'Push' email will get better over time and close the gap.
Except for the fact that MS Push will never support Domino. BB Connect is at the mercy of the carriers/device manufacturers.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
Mr Pink57
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

GL just annouced (confrence call couple days ago) that Lotus Notes is now being supported here in the next few days. Also the main downfall I have seen with GL is how much space it takes up, I have heard of a lot of people with WM devices have trouble installing due to available space on devices.

pink
Old 06-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

About time for Goodlink on Domino. Where was this two years ago when we first bought BES?
Old 07-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
bigdongers
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100g
Carrier: Telstra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57
GL just annouced (confrence call couple days ago) that Lotus Notes is now being supported here in the next few days. Also the main downfall I have seen with GL is how much space it takes up, I have heard of a lot of people with WM devices have trouble installing due to available space on devices.

pink
GL does take up a bit of space on the device but it works well enough. I have tested it with the latest iMate KJam and Jamin devices and both performed quite well.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:27 AM   #8
gziz

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

GL is ok, if the marketing department of Good was any "good" theyd have a bigger piece of the pie, i believe they never sold their products via international carrieres till recently which is mind boggling an di think it only sells via 3 U.S carriers. RIMM sells its products via about 200 carriers world wide.

and another thing i like calling RIMM tech support cuz even if its a issue with my HH they will fix it, before we moved from good to RIMM and i would call Good for help if it would be a device related issue they would see "bye bye".

i mean it isnt their fault but its discouraging to have to then call palm for help and then call back good when the device is ok.

peace
Old 07-26-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
Good_Guy

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon/Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by gziz
GL is ok, if the marketing department of Good was any "good" theyd have a bigger piece of the pie, i believe they never sold their products via international carrieres till recently which is mind boggling an di think it only sells via 3 U.S carriers. RIMM sells its products via about 200 carriers world wide.

and another thing i like calling RIMM tech support cuz even if its a issue with my HH they will fix it, before we moved from good to RIMM and i would call Good for help if it would be a device related issue they would see "bye bye".

i mean it isnt their fault but its discouraging to have to then call palm for help and then call back good when the device is ok.

peace
Fair comments, however, I think it is more along the lines of RIM;s marketing department being excellent as opposed to ours not being good. Until last year, we only sold direct, not through the carriers. True, from an international perspective, we didn't (and still don't) have near the coverage as RIMM. However, we only recently started in the international space.

I have always said that there is some advantage to having a single source solution for hardware, software and OS and you pointed one of the biggest. However, IMO, there are disadvantages there as well.