BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
goodcase

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry 7290

Please Login to Remove!

Hey, I have a Blackberry 7290..GSM rogers one.

Whenever it gets turned on...(i have a treo 600, so i dont use the bb that much) there is a spinning hour glass. That stays there for a whle, and then it goes to the regular interface. Ive tried a soft reset, that doesnt work. And the BB doesnt have a hard reset button. So the only option to hard reset is to remove the battery and put it back in.

Is there anyway for me to reinstall the BB operating system...because once the main screen loads the phone works perfectly.

Like right now, I just turned it on..and the hour glass was spinning, now it just went into the main screen and it works fine.

Does anybody have any ideas?
Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Chinasaur
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z30
Carrier: T-Mobile

What you describe is normal. Anytime the battery is removed, the device will initialize as you describe. It's doing initialization checks, etc. It's a feature, not a bug

You can shut the device down via Power Off menu choice and when you turn it back on, assuming no battery removal, it won't take as long to start up.

As for re-installing the OS, you can follow instructions found in the stickies in the RIM Software forum. Doesn't sound like you need to do that though.

Luck.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #3
goodcase

okay, that makes sense. But how long should it take for it to initialize. Because when i say the hourglass is there...its there for a good 15 minutes.....
Old 07-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcase
okay, that makes sense. But how long should it take for it to initialize. Because when i say the hourglass is there...its there for a good 15 minutes.....

Wait a second. What do you mean by Turning on?

If you remove the battery and re-insert, it WILL spin for about 5-10 minutes to initialize.. but that is effectively a hard reset. You very rarely do this.

If you turn it off using the icon menu, then turn it on using the button on the front of your device, and it takes 10 minutes to 'boot up' you have a problem.

I never have to wait for it to boot up. The most time intensive thing is waiting for a network to appear and downloading the messages that are waiting for me.

So, based on the above, if you are turning it on/off normally, you have a problem. If to turn it off you remove the battery, then this IS normal behaviour. Stop taking out the battery =)

My blackberry RARELY ever runs dead. That is hard to do. The blackberry is basically on for weeks and weeks without being rebooted.. note that when you actually 'turn it off' it's not really off. The wireless is off, display is off, but the device does sorta remain in a hibernated state =)

This is how the Blackberrys last like 3 to 7 days on one charge even when being used..

Your a treo user. If you've ever ran your device dead and lost all your data, you'll probably want to consider the BB -- that's never ever happened to me or any of my other 15 users =)

The BB is designed to be reliable, with as few interruptions as possible. Battery life, rock solid OS (very rarely crashes) is all part of that. You should never have to remove your battery unless you've had a serious OS problem, which is rare.

Last edited by headtailgrep; 07-11-2006 at 09:23 PM..
Old 07-11-2006, 09:22 PM   #5
goodcase

well i got it, and then i put the battery in to see if it worked..the hour glass happened, then it worked, then i took the battery out to put my sim in, then hour glass, then it worked.....so i guess im just dumb and didnt think it took that long for the phone to initialize...im coming from using a PalmOne Treo 600 :P
Old 07-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #6
Scott403540
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: Cingular

What headtailgrep says is absolutely right. On the very few occasions in the 15 months I've had my 7290 I've had to do a hard reset (take the battery out) its taken a few minutes to initialize, but nothing like 15 minutes.
Old 07-11-2006, 10:01 PM   #7
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
well i got it, and then i put the battery in to see if it worked..the hour glass happened, then it worked, then i took the battery out to put my sim in, then hour glass, then it worked.....so i guess im just dumb and didnt think it took that long for the phone to initialize...im coming from using a PalmOne Treo 600 :P
Keep using it my good man. Your 7290 is a reliable machine and you will probably consider switching from the Treo once you find the benefits of your 7290.. it might not be as flashy, but it is far more functional and useful (no downtime, waiting for messages, losing your data, losing your phone favourites, breaking your phone when you drop it, no more klunky keyboard, and heck, the 7290 STILL gets OS upgrades! Treo 600's don't!!)

=)
Old 07-11-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
goodcase

Well, Im only 16 :P, so I still have time to adjust to the new electronics coming out on the market. As it is, I wouldnt have the blackberry if one of my dads employees didnt get the new one...8700(?)

I bought the treo about a year ago, and im still thinking of getting the treo 650 or the 700p...not sure yet. We'll see how the blackberry works out.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 AM   #9
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Well, Im only 16 :P, so I still have time to adjust to the new electronics coming out on the market. As it is, I wouldnt have the blackberry if one of my dads employees didnt get the new one...8700(?)

I bought the treo about a year ago, and im still thinking of getting the treo 650 or the 700p...not sure yet. We'll see how the blackberry works out.
Your young, loaded, gadget envy is probably one of the most important things in high-school now..

just keep in mind only the Blackberry can give you real-time e-mail delivery right now.. Blackberry or Blackberry connect devices. Until the Palm Treo's have blackberry connect, your stuck with 15 minute polling..
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM   #10
goodcase

haha, I guess you could say that.

Okay, So im wanting to restore the OS on the blackberry. Ive downloaded the software from blackberrys website, but when i click Application Loader, nothing shows up in that list of stuff for me to reload/load.

How do i go about re-installing the bb os?
Closed Thread