BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
jattila4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Really confused about Instant Messaging (SMS?)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, excuse the noob question, but I am quite confused about Instant Messaging on the blackberry (specifically the pearl). I am going to switch to Tmobile in September and really like the Pearl, I had decided on getting it 100% but then I got confused about how instant messaging worked on it.

I want to get the blackberry and not buy the blackberry internet plan. What I want to do on it (aside from the PDA and multimedia features) is use instant messaging like MSN/AIM/and Phone Text messaging.

My question: Is there a way to use MSN and AIM through an SMS Instant messaging plan with Tmobile and not have the blackberry internet plan?

Because after reading up here I thought that the blackberry's didn't even have AIM and MSN, and you could only use them through 3rd party software with the blackberry internet plan.

Then I looked on Tmobiles website at the current blackberries and saw this:
h ttp://i5.tinypic.com/25qxhma.png (please delete the space between the H and the T after pasting into your browser, it wont let me post a url)
You can see it says messaging with MSN, AIM, and Yahoo

So does that mean that they have SMS Messaging applications for AIM and MSN, and I would be able to buy a messaging package and use it on the blackberry (pearl)

My other option is the Tmobile MDA, which I dont really like as much as the Pearl. I like the form factor of the Pearl as well as the blackberry dependability. And I asume the blackberry is better as an actual phone.

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by jattila4; 08-27-2006 at 04:32 AM..
Old 08-27-2006, 06:59 AM   #2
trigga15

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'm pretty sure that the majority of the programs use data...if u get the 8100 with out data plan its really useless

I LOVE BEING 16 AND HELPIN ALL THE OLDER PEOPLE
Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #3
Texas_Traveler
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Without a BlackBerry data plan, all you could do is use the phone and send/receive SMS. Absolutely no data. Depending how much you use IM, T-Mobile's BlackBerry plan might be a comparable deal to a large SMS package, and you would get many more capabilities (email, web browsing, ability to run 3rd party apps which use data, BlackBerry Messaging, etc.)
Old 08-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #4
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

I agree with the other two posters here.

Also next time save your picture file as a JPEG. I did not bother going to the link because you save it as a PNG and I don't feel like downloading a large file.

But I think you are talking about the OZ program that is available for the Blackberry 7290 that can do Instant Messaging for AOL, MSN, and Yahoo.

Yes, that program does use SMS and you need a good SMS plan. But who knows if it will be available for the 8100. It may not be available for the 8100

I did a search on the website at T-mobile. I looked at the unlimited text messaging and it cost $14.99. You can get 1000 text messaging for $9.99. It sounds to me you going to use it alot so you will end up using it up very quickly.

The Blackberry data plan only cost $19.99. So you will only save about $5.

My advice is, pay the extra $5 and get the Blackberry data plan.

You will get the same story if you decide to get the MDA instead but that will cost even more.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #5
freck

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigga15
I'm pretty sure that the majority of the programs use data
Some use data; some use sms. Usually, the ones that come with the device use sms, because the carriers wish to rake in the dough with text plans. You have to download a program that uses data.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:27 AM   #6
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

another thing to concider is just because they say the phone can do something doesn't mean it does it for free, or without extra services. For example, yes it does say aol, yahoo, icq, msn instant messaging, but it also says internet and corporate e-mail, html web browser, and high speed data with edge. but you still have to get a data plan to use any of those. The best deal you can get if you really want to use your blackberry and all it's functionality is the $19.99 unlimited data plan.

PIN: 2031512F
Old 08-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #7
jattila4

Thanks for the replies, I didnt really get the answer I was looking for, I guess I should have been more specific.

I know that the best deal is the 19.99 data plan. But we are getting a family plan through T-Mobile and will be getting the unlimited Family SMS messaging for $19.99, I figure if I can use MSN and AIM through SMS messaging I can save myself $19.99 on the data plan that I don't really need (I know it would be nice, but I don't need internet and email on my phone right now and could always add it later) As long as I could use the PDA, Multimedia, and Instant Messaging functions on the phone I would be set for now.

So does anyone know if you can use MSN and AIM through SMS messaging without having the blackberry data plan on the 8100. I would think if you can on other blackberry's you could on the 8100, especially cause on T-Mobile's site it says "Messaging with MSN, AIM, and Yahoo" on all of the blackberry's. What I don't know is if that's sms messaging or data.

Last edited by jattila4; 08-27-2006 at 02:14 PM..
Old 08-27-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
b3n_asian_freak
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....

The IM application that you will probably get for free from T-Mobile will let you do AIM or MSN, just not at the same time. If you want to log on at the same time on AIM and MSN, you will have to get some third party applications which have tons of reviews in this forum, just hit search and you sure will find them.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:17 PM   #9
b3n_asian_freak
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....

for you, if you already have unlimited SMS on your family plan, you don't need data plan to run OZ instant messaging from T-Mobile.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:28 PM   #10
jattila4

^Thank you. That's what I needed to know. Cool, then I will get the Pearl after all, eventually I will probably end up adding the data, especially if I get a job or internship where email is heavily used. But for now, I will save the $20 a month and just use sms. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #11
RO4

Model: 7100T

SMS is text messaging and goes against your plans. Instant messaging is considered data, and goes against your data plan. If you want to text from your PC check out Red Oxygen
Closed Thread