BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
mannon

Model: 8300
Carrier: at*
Default Can I connect to my US based BES if I am in Brazil?

Please Login to Remove!

Here's my problem. We are relocating one of our employees to Brazil but still want to have him have access to the BES via his Blackberry.

The BES resides in the US and we plan on getting him TMobile in Brazil. Will setting him up be any different than setting him up domestically in the US?

Basically, all we need to do is purchase him a $80 BES CAL and we're set right?

mannon
Old 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Where is his Exchange server going to be located (sorry; I assumed Exchange)...
Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #3
mannon

The Exchange server will be located here.

Also, I retract that additional statement about getting him TMobile in Brazil as his TMobile account will reside here but we will just be activating the international data roaming option.

Is there a way to prevent the massive roaming charges? or will this be inevitable byproduct of his international travel? He will travelling internationally quite extensively and will require full use of this BB.

mannon
Old 09-16-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

The only way to avoid the roaming changes would be to get a local (Brazil) SIM card with the BlackBerry Data Plan. If both BES and Exchange are in the same location, it would work.

T-Mobile has a $20/month "all you can eat" data roaming plan. Data isn't that expensive - voice is what kills you.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
mannon

I see, but if we get him a Brazillian blackberry plan then he will have a Brazillian number and the caller is then charged right?

I guess either way someone has to pay for the international charges yeah?

We would probably rather have him as a US number since he is based here and have him on the domestic corporate T mobile account rather than have to track all these foreign bills.

Also, do you happen to know what this enterprise service package is that TMobile offers? I have to buy this so that I can connect to my BESM?

what crap.

mannon

Last edited by mannon; 09-16-2006 at 09:04 PM..
Old 09-16-2006, 11:01 PM   #6
ndirish2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannon
The Exchange server will be located here.

Also, I retract that additional statement about getting him TMobile in Brazil as his TMobile account will reside here but we will just be activating the international data roaming option.

Is there a way to prevent the massive roaming charges? or will this be inevitable byproduct of his international travel? He will travelling internationally quite extensively and will require full use of this BB.

mannon
You may want to consider Cingular, as it has a unlimited international roaming data plan that is only $20 more than the unlimited domestic data plan.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
I see, but if we get him a Brazillian blackberry plan then he will have a Brazillian number and the caller is then charged right?

I guess either way someone has to pay for the international charges yeah?

We would probably rather have him as a US number since he is based here and have him on the domestic corporate T mobile account rather than have to track all these foreign bills.

Also, do you happen to know what this enterprise service package is that TMobile offers? I have to buy this so that I can connect to my BESM?

what crap.

mannon
You might want to read up on voicemail and international GSM roaming to see if you want to incur those charges.

A BES data plan is required for BES connectivity. I'd hardly call it crap. Data use isn't free.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:51 PM   #8
Aroc
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20878533
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Can I connect to my US based BES if I am in Brazil?
mannon
Yes. We do both scenarios. We have people traveling out side of the U.S. with U.S. based phones (and international voice and international data plans) used mail and BES servers in the U.S. We also have people using local phones (Germany Vodafone, T-Mobile in latin america, Rogers in Canada, etc) using our BES server (United States), pointed to their local mail server over the internet and that works just fine.

you just have to determine what makes more sense for you. consolidated billing and international data+voice charges. Or separate billing, with local number and voice and have all of your U.S. calls incur long distance charges. I see this is what you are wrestling with (and rightly so!).
Closed Thread