BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 03:08 PM   #1
hmorneau

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Rogers
Default Canadian unlimited plan solution?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new here, and after reading lot about canadian provider, it seem that no body offer unlimited data package.

Somebody found a solution for canadian people to get unlimited data package?

Also, my unit is a 8700, if I use it on my laptop, what it's the download speed that I can expect? (here it's Rogers network).

It is possible to transfert few GBit per month on an unlimited plan?

Thanks for answer and advice.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
worktrader
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100

There are no unlimited data plans in Canada - it sucks. The US plans are a lot more flexible and much cheaper. You can use a "few GB" on the US plans but not while on Canadian soil - you will incur roaming charges - a big no-no. Sorry man - just have to suck it up for now. You'll probably get about 700Kbs on EDGE but their is a new platform coming to Rogers nicknamed "3G" that should rival EVDO on Bell/Telus but I think the largest data plans are 250MB and are not cheap.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
padders

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-mobile

Possibly by getting t-mobile in the US and adding $19.99 international package. It may just be for email and not data though, no one is exactly sure.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Food for thougth as I went down this road as did co-workers who more than anything else got fed up with the Robbers Wireless 25MB cap on the so called unlimited plan.

I have an unlocked 8700c which I use with a TMo unlimited data plan and a sizable minutes voice plan with int'l roaming and I no-answer/transfer my Robbers Wireless no. to my TMo line.

Even with the exchange rate it works out cheaper than the $100 200MB Robbers Wireless plan on top of a voice plan and I can do my usual 25-40MB a mo without worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorneau
I'm new here, and after reading lot about canadian provider, it seem that no body offer unlimited data package.

Somebody found a solution for canadian people to get unlimited data package?

Also, my unit is a 8700, if I use it on my laptop, what it's the download speed that I can expect? (here it's Rogers network).

It is possible to transfert few GBit per month on an unlimited plan?

Thanks for answer and advice.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #5
EChid

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch
Food for thougth as I went down this road as did co-workers who more than anything else got fed up with the Robbers Wireless 25MB cap on the so called unlimited plan.

I have an unlocked 8700c which I use with a TMo unlimited data plan and a sizable minutes voice plan with int'l roaming and I no-answer/transfer my Robbers Wireless no. to my TMo line.

Even with the exchange rate it works out cheaper than the $100 200MB Robbers Wireless plan on top of a voice plan and I can do my usual 25-40MB a mo without worry.
But isn't the unlimited plan with $19.99 Int'l roaming option limited only to email? I have heard that if you used the data for web browsing/IMing/modem etc. you get charged for roaming...is this not true?

Also, I'm not sure I understand how you got your Rogers number transferred to a TMo account, could you elaborate on how that works.

I really want unlimited internet and this really seems like the best way to do it.

thanks
Old 11-30-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
dyzs
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9100
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch

Which voice rate plan are you on that allows roaming minutes in Canada (or Int'l)?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
EChid

Model: 9000

I really am hoping that a combo of HSDPA and number portability lower prices...

Last edited by EChid; 12-02-2006 at 12:28 AM..
Old 11-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmorneau
The EDGE network in Canada (which tends to be faster and better than in the U.S.), will provide about 220 kilobits per second around here. (Don't forget to distinguish bits versus bytes: At 8 bits per byte). Real world download speeds frequently exceeds 10 kilobytes per second, sometimes surging to 20+ kilobytes per second in good conditions, according to Howard Forums. If you have used ISDN in the early days of the Internet, or have used DirectPC satellite Internet, you'll be familiar with the speed: Somewhat faster than dialup... Latency is similiar to satellite though.

There is 3G services (HSDPA/UMTS) coming to Rogers, for the option of faster downloads with over 3 Mbits/sec with real world downloads of 700 Kbits/sec.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 12-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
MobileRC
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300

Didnt Rogers change their BB data plans to offer much more data? If they havent they are very very very soon
Old 12-05-2006, 02:51 AM   #10
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileRC
Didnt Rogers change their BB data plans to offer much more data?
Yes they have. All the updated BlackBerry data packages are posted on the Rogers Wireless website.
Closed Thread