BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 01:15 AM   #1
dex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Telus
Default Help me develop software you want.

Please Login to Remove!

I work for the largest 1x cellular provider in North America and my job requires me to do a lot of things I don't want to do. But my employer is recognizing my ability to program software and for a few hours a week I get to develop and maintain the call tracking software they have there.
Anyway, this is besides the point, but I'm a java developer and when I mentioned to my manager that I want to make a software development position within the company and move into it full time, he simply asked me to make a business proposal and show it to him and his manager. So I was thinking about coding internal applications, but tonight I realized a lot of the Blackberry software is actually written in java and C, so I figure it won't be too hard for me to write my own java applications. And maybe even convince the company to distribute and support these applications for clients. But I have a few questions to ask in order to do up my proposal.

1. Which kinds of applications would people like to see officially offered and supported by their carrier?
2. How much do you spend a month on purchasing said applications?
3. I'm great at java, would I need to know many other languages?

I studied onject oriented development at the top university in the country and have worked on a number of projects so far, I don't imagine it'd be a huge leap. Any other ideas? I'll post more questions as I have them.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #2
bobtaylor

Model: 7250
Default pdf viewer

Hi / pdf viewers that work / also doc / excel viewer that work / total need for that. access to windows somehow
Old 10-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
dex
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sounds pretty simple so far with the viewers, even though those are pretty readily available right now. What do you mean by access to WIndows? Like remote desktop?
Old 10-14-2006, 12:25 AM   #4
dex
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm about to go and find some development environments. I used to use JBuilder back in the day, what does everyone use for their java compiling now?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

First of all, check the developer forum for developer info =) But this is a good forum to find out what people want.

I'm going to encourage you to contribute to an open source project if possible, there are many:

MidpSSH (MidpSSH | SSH and Telnet client for Mobile devices (MIDP/J2ME))
JMirc (jmIrc - Java mobile IRC-client (J2ME))

These use J2ME (Java for mobile devices) and is compatible not only with the Blackberry, but with other phones as well.

The RIM Blackberry JDE (up to version 4.2) can help you in this regard.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
dex
Thumbs Must Hurt

What's Callfilter?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:45 AM   #7
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520
Carrier: TELUS

Most java developers use Eclipse right now. For BlackBerry applications you can use the RIM JDE, it's a good IDE to learn how to program BlackBerry applications.

You can get Eclipse to build BlackBerry applications using ANT. All the new BlackBerries are Java only, so no need to learn C.

As for applications you may want to start simple, perhaps a "help" application that opens up your companies support web page.

Glad to hear your company is more open to this than mine is
Old 10-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #8
ericmf

The world of Blackberry needs a few more people like you. I would pay for a decent time tracking application that allows tracking of time, expense & milage. Check out TimeWhiz for Palm. Its free software for Palm Ive used for years but can't find anything like it for Blackberry. BizTrak-it by Shrunken Head SW is close but I need multiple client tracking with multiple projects for each plus multiple tasks. If you run into anyhting like this, yell. I have a credit card!

Eric
Old 10-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #9
sbomze

Model: 8300
Carrier: Rogers
Default Data usage tracker

I woudl like my 8700 to have a data usage tracker so i know how much data i have used over the month
Old 10-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #10
rblatt
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Default bb software

I would suggest that you just look at Windows OS based phones and you'll see a slew of business applications that don't require 3rd party servers. If you could develop a BB based set of applications that could open and read PDF, DOC, XLS, PPT files without being forced to use a server to host/convert the files, you could make a mint. No one is doing this. All the companies are focusing on a fee based service only......I don't know of too many BB users who would not choose to have the application on their BB rather than sharing their files to unkown service providers, especially if they receive email/documents that are confidential and required to remain so. I hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #11
logan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: TELUS

You might see some document stuff come out with 4.2 (Pearl) since it has a file system. But the reason that everything is hosted is that there was previously no file system to store files in so you would have to store them on a server.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:28 AM   #12
Alticon

Model: none

This *should* be simple, and a godsend for more people than they realize...

What I wouldn't give for a simple utility that would look out for spam assassin headers and either block them, delete them, or not make a sound.

All that this requires is looking at the headers and taking a defined value (lets say 4):

If header contains "X-Spam-Level: <value in x's>*" then delete

i.e.

If header contains "X-Spam-Level: xxxx*" then delete

I would lower my volume of beeps and blips tremendously.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #13
simon_hed

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

I have searched high and low for a decent alarm application. I know that isn't very sexy, but every cell phone I have had in the last 5 years has a better alarm than my 7130e.

The pocketpc I ditched to get this thing had a very flexible alarm built into it. You could have multiple alarms and have them active on different days at different times. An LG cell phone I once had had 3 alarms, plus a quick alarm. You could set that very quickly to alarm in 10 or 30 minutes, or 1 to 20 hours. Very useful.

The alarm on the 7130e is not very flexible.

Thanks.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:19 AM   #14
magpie2000k

Model: 7130g
Smile ideas

Hey a much needed piece of kit for the blackberry is to have templates in your emails.

we use the balckberry to reply to client leads.

so if possible the ability to have set templates for set types of lead would negate the need to type out a whole message for every lead we get.

we can get upto 100 a day so although not all are answered via blackberry many are .

This would be a god send..

what do you think.

Possible or not..

cheers

magpie
Old 10-27-2006, 07:36 AM   #15
ibrg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

dex, are you still soliciting ideas?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
heinywb

Model: 8700

id love to be able to control the volume of the speaker by more than jsut high medium and low
Old 02-08-2007, 02:05 PM   #17
splaquet

Model: 7100g
Carrier: Cingular
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmf
The world of Blackberry needs a few more people like you. I would pay for a decent time tracking application that allows tracking of time, expense & milage. Check out TimeWhiz for Palm. Its free software for Palm Ive used for years but can't find anything like it for Blackberry. BizTrak-it by Shrunken Head SW is close but I need multiple client tracking with multiple projects for each plus multiple tasks. If you run into anyhting like this, yell. I have a credit card!

Eric
I was looking for software that does what I need when I bumped into this thread, and then this message. I've looked up and down for software that will help me keep track of my milage on my car for my business.

i'm self employed and keeping accurate track of the miles driven is KEY. the state pays you back like .42 cents on the mile!

anyhow, since the blackberry already has a built in calendar (and a notepad does not), i'd assume that it'd only be a few clicks to enter in the start mile and end mile of a trip. i'd love to help contribute ideas for this project. It sounds like Eric has a wider idea than I of needs, which could really develop the nicest little small business/road applet =)

I mean, if we're looking for the software you'd have to imaging several others are as well.

take care,
splaquet
Old 02-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #18
hdcd

Carrier: Sprint

VPN client software would be great..
Old 02-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #19
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

I'll throw in my 2 cents (USD), based on capabilities from other platforms (s60, e.g.) that I realy miss on this BB device.

- a good PDF reader. standalone, not integrated with email attachments or servers or anything funky (which is what every current solution does). I want to download a PDF, save it to my SD card, and launch a standalone viewer to view it. Period.

Real life example of something you'd keep on your device and want to "read" standalone super fast: http://transit.511.org/providers/map...8200510805.pdf

- an on-device Screenshot application, no PC connection required. You're on the go, something whacky happens and you need to save it to send to IT. Or you're trying to give feedback to a developer for something not working right.

thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ice-no-pc.html

- a good, working-on-Pearl, World Clock applet that shows multiple timezones. super duper handy if you life in location A and your friend lives 15,000km away in location B, and you want to know if it's OK to SMS them right now.

thread: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...ock-pearl.html

OK I'll limit myself to only three requests to be fair.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
onlindis
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7250
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Dex I think there is alot you can develop, personally I would like to see something that could integrate with ebay and monitor auctions that you were in. Since the BlackBerry software is behind that for Pocket PC and Palm have a look at their top sellers and see if a corresponding item exists for BlackBerry.

Magpie, there are actually a few pieces of software on the market that will create email templates, we did a quick write up on Magic Mail that we like:
BlackBerry Edge » Blog Archive » Magic Mail Software a Must Have
Closed Thread