BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
chickenx

Model: 8100
Carrier: tmobile
Default Questions about 8100 before I purchase.

Please Login to Remove!

Heavily thinking about purchasing the BB8100 PEARL but I still got some concerns.

I've searched the site to see if you can view flash embedded videos (youtube) on the 8100 and I found the answer to be No.
Someone mentioned about an update that would allow this, is this true ?
(youtube.com - compatable?)

If you can't, is it possible to run a pocket windows on the bb and install a flash plugin that would allow you to watch vids on youtube?

Is it possible to transfer apps (microsoft word) onto the bb ? or is there an alternative available for it ?

thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenx
Heavily thinking about purchasing the BB8100 PEARL but I still got some concerns.

I've searched the site to see if you can view flash embedded videos (youtube) on the 8100 and I found the answer to be No.

If you can't, is it possible to run a pocket windows on the bb and install a flash plugin that would allow you to watch vids on youtube?

Is it possible to transfer apps (microsoft word) onto the bb ? or is there an alternative available for it ?

thanks
Good god why would you want to run pocket windows? I am dumping my POS TMobile MDA because it sucks as a phone. Not enough one handed operation in ANY of those applications because they were not designed for it. Now, if they somehow changed it so that you can use all of the PPC apps with one hand then I may change my mind.

Im a guy on the move and I dont have a love affair with my device to actually sit down and watch movies on it. The BB on the other hand CAN be used on the go with one hand, including the apps you put on it.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus
Good god why would you want to run pocket windows? I am dumping my POS TMobile MDA because it sucks as a phone. Not enough one handed operation in ANY of those applications because they were not designed for it. Now, if they somehow changed it so that you can use all of the PPC apps with one hand then I may change my mind.

I'm a guy on the move and I dint have a love affair with my device to actually sit down and watch movies on it. The BB on the other hand CAN be used on the go with one hand, including the apps you put on it.
Ditto on that. Mobile 5, Pocket Windows is a flop. PDA sales are tanking and part of the reason is that people are migrating to the Pearl type device, but Pocket PC is also another reason.

That OS slowed down devices big time. IMHO Pocket PC turned in to Windows ME of PDA operating systems.

Besides, I don't think PDA's can ever take the place of notebook computers and desktop PC's. If people need that kind of functionality they will use the notebook, not a PDA.

E.g. on sales of PDA's tanking, two years ago I bought a Dell Axim X50v. Last year Dell announced it is getting out of the PDA business. That says it all.

E.g., Mobile 5 Pocket PC sucks, last year many people with Dell Axim X50v's did NOT install the new OS on to their PDA's, including me.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
chickenx

Carrier: tmobile

fair enough.
I was just wondering if that was a possiblity.

no youtubing i guess.
Picking up my bb next week.

thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 04:25 PM   #5
angrymic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wow, I guess its time to bash windows mobile?

Back to your questions. I haven't read anything about an update that will allow youtube. Anything is possible though.
There is a software I saw somewhere that has all Microsoft functionality. Check handgo possibly.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:36 PM   #6
secrecyguy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenx

thanks
Sounds like you need two cell phones. One Blackberry 8100 and one T-mobile MDA but there's a newer version coming out soon called HTC Exculibur (spelling?)

My advice is, save the flash and video on the Internet for the PC.

But if you really need to have flash and vido on your cell phone than get Blackbery 8100 first and wait and get the HTC Exculibur when it comes out or find MDA on Ebay for cheap after the release of HTC.

As a side note, you can put the SIM card from the Blackberry 8100 and put it on the MDA. You also save money by doing so.
Closed Thread