BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 09:44 PM   #1
rkneller

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular
Default newbie to bb from treo forgive me I'm trying

Please Login to Remove!

Excuse my ignorance, but I’m new to BB. I just purchased a bb 8100 and I’m trying to convert from a palm treo (which crashed on me). I ran the switch device wizard and was able to get my contacts and calendar information on to my bb 8100 however since then my voice dial icon although still there does not do anything when I click on it. I also wanted to now set up my sync to work with my groupwise (were going to outlook soon) here at work for calendar only(would like to do just personal contacts as well) but when I go into the sync configuration and click on calendar / choose the only option that does not have the OK button grayed out is <None> and ASCII Importer/Exporter. All other selections have the OK buttone gray. This is making me think the fact that I did the switch device wizard has locked me out of the other options. I thought about erasing the device software and starting over but I’m not sure I have the device software on my desktop and I’m having trouble finding it. My device manager properties say I have 4.2.0.7…..

New guy wanting to become a crackberry addict…..
Old 10-17-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
bb-mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers
Default New from Treo To

I am also new to the Pearl from the Treo. I'm no expert yet but here's my take.

I thought the switch device wizard was to go from a old Blackberry to a new Blackberry.

What I did when I switched:

Uninstalled all Treo software.

Installed Blackberry software.

Synced items I wanted to with my outlook.

It all worked perfectly without a hitch.

I unless I can't avoid it - I never let two different company's sync software play with each other.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:53 PM   #3
rkneller

Default reply

one of the options in the wizard was to transfer from treo to bb and the reason I took that route was that I was using the palm desktop because I wasn't syncing to my work groupwise.

Is your voice dialing icon work?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
eph1zzle

take out your battery then put it back in Voice signal need to index your phonebook
Old 10-17-2006, 04:40 PM   #5
rkneller

Thatxxx8217;s Brilliant It fixed my voice dialing Icon thanks, guess I need to work on my voice commands first try got wrong number.

Any thoughts on why when I go into the sync configuration and click on calendar / choose the only option that does not have the OK button grayed out is <None> and ASCII Importer/Exporter.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:54 PM   #6
ttormamny
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

i used a treo as well and i love the bb now
Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #7
bakos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneller
That’s Brilliant It fixed my voice dialing Icon thanks, guess I need to work on my voice commands first try got wrong number.
I am another convert from the Treo. I have been running both Palm and BB sync software with MS Outlook and no problems so far. I could NEVER get voice dialing work in a satisfactory way until I upgraded to the Rogers version of the operating system (which fixes several bugs--there are lots of threads on it). I assumed the problem was that I had too many contacts in my address book, and I was hoping for a future version where I could designate "voice-dialable" contacts. After upgrading to the Rogers OS, however, voice dialing accuracy improved dramatically, and now I rarely get the wrong number.
Closed Thread