BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
LyleH

Model: 8703e
Default "push" email speed

Please Login to Remove!

I am a Treo convert with one small question. I have a yahoo plus account that I use for my business email. Most of the time I receive instant email but on occation it seems to take forever (up to an hour delay). My question is what is normal, should I get instant messages regardless of time of day etc.? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You need to give us a bit more information. It depends upon your connection and your provider. Who is your cell carrier and where are you located?

As a general rule, email via BIS is usually delayed 10-20 minutes. However, I have heard on here that gmail and probably others run much faster.

Personally, I can live with a 20 minute delay. And sometimes that is still too often!
Old 10-18-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
LyleH

Thanks for the speedy response. I am in Canada using Bell service on my 8703e. What puzzles me is that I have performed tests at different times of the day and the messages arrive on my handheld almost immediately. Other times, it can take up to an hour. There doesn’t seem to be any consistency.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:45 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleH
I am a Treo convert with one small question. I have a yahoo plus account that I use for my business email. Most of the time I receive instant email but on occation it seems to take forever (up to an hour delay). My question is what is normal, should I get instant messages regardless of time of day etc.? Thanks for the help.

Here is what I just saw over at Howard Forums on two different posts:

"BIS by default polls every 5-15min for mail to be pushed to your BB. If you don't have BES what many users do is utilize GMail. Use GMail to collect your POP accounts and foward a copy to your blackberry.net address. Usually takes 1-5 secs for messages to arrive."

"Gmail and Yahoo! have a special agreement with BlackBerry that provides real-time "push" e-mail to your device (similar to if your device was attached to a BES). Any other accounts assigned with your BIS will be sent to your device at 15 minute intervals, but once it detects e-mail it will start checking every 3 minutes until there is no more e-mail."
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
LyleH

Gotcha, thanks for taking the time to answer my question.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
What puzzles me is that I have performed tests at different times of the day and the messages arrive on my handheld almost immediately. Other times, it can take up to an hour. There doesnxxx8217;t seem to be any consistency.
You're also talking about email which doesn't have guaranteed delivery times. Factors such as coverage and data issues on your carrier's network can also affect delivery time as well as other factors that I'm sure I haven't mentioned. Delivery is usually pretty quick, particularly once BIS or BES receives the email (that's where the push takes place). If you need instant communication, email really isn't the proper channel to use.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:07 PM   #7
Dirky
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
If you send an email to your BIS email address, ie the carrier one which you get when you first setup your BIS account, email sent to this should be delivered within seconds usually. Of course this depends on where the email is sent from, your coverage etc.

Mike
Old 10-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

If Gmail and Yahoo mail is forwarded to your device address, you should get it very quickly, seconds. If imap like AOL RIM polls the account every 15 minutes. There are 3rd party services like the one I use that poll my email account ever minute so I can email and respond in real time. Check out versaforward.com, I love there service.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:01 PM   #9
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
You're also talking about email which doesn't have guaranteed delivery times. Factors such as coverage and data issues on your carrier's network can also affect delivery time as well as other factors that I'm sure I haven't mentioned. Delivery is usually pretty quick, particularly once BIS or BES receives the email (that's where the push takes place). If you need instant communication, email really isn't the proper channel to use.
Don't mind this person -- he's kinda right, but in the end, you really are just asking how can you get push e-mail to push faster?

Simple. Set up a BIS account through your carrier. it'll give you an address like: [email address]

Then forward all mail from your carrier account to this device. It'll be push, and nearly instant. If you set it up right, Blackberry e-mail delivery is near instant, and most often FASTER than your mail clients.

The ways to get proper push mail on blackberry:
* Use your [email address] BIS account
* Use BES
* Use forwarding to your BIS account..

In general, all pop 3 accounts you set up on BIS will be PULL e-mail except for a few that are set up to do push like gmail, etc..

Choose wisely from here..!
Old 10-26-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
briang2006
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703

Ok, I'm confused. So the @carrier.blackberry.net email will arrive instant, but any other emails ( work, pleasure, etc ) will only grab every 15 minutes?

My main thing is needing to be able to receive/send my work emails in as close to real time as possible. I wan't really planning to be giving out the @carrier.blackberry.net email address.

So are you saying that in order to do that, I need to setup a gmail account, have my work email forward to the gmail account, and the gmail account forward to my BB? That seems like a lot to do to get real time emails from a Pop/Imap email account. Am I not understanding something?

Please let me know, as I was about to buy a BB today, but this may affect my whole decision!
Old 10-26-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
untjoker

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub
Here is what I just saw over at Howard Forums on two different posts:

"BIS by default polls every 5-15min for mail to be pushed to your BB. If you don't have BES what many users do is utilize GMail. Use GMail to collect your POP accounts and foward a copy to your blackberry.net address. Usually takes 1-5 secs for messages to arrive."

"Gmail and Yahoo! have a special agreement with BlackBerry that provides real-time "push" e-mail to your device (similar to if your device was attached to a BES). Any other accounts assigned with your BIS will be sent to your device at 15 minute intervals, but once it detects e-mail it will start checking every 3 minutes until there is no more e-mail."
If I'm wrong, then I apologize in advance. However, I get emails routinely every 10-15 seconds so if it only checks every 3 minutes, then that isn't right because I'll have my BB on right by me with my laptop and my email will hit my Blackberry before my Outlook program on my laptop, so it has to be checking faster than 3 minutes. I'm thinking anywhere from 3-25 seconds honestly.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

emails to your device address or emails forwared to your device address should arrive within seconds of being sent.

emails that RIM is polling and pushing to your device could be 1-15 minutes. From what I understand after you get an email, RIM polls at a quicker pace for a certain time until no more messages are received/sent.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:39 PM   #13
briang2006
Thumbs Must Hurt

So if I simply forward messages from my company email account to the blackberry email address, they will go instant?
Old 10-26-2006, 10:20 PM   #14
Dirky

Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang2006
So if I simply forward messages from my company email account to the blackberry email address, they will go instant?
yes, that should do the trick.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #15
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang2006
Just as quick as your company forwards them to your device address, you will get them on your device. Device addressed emails appear in seconds.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:27 AM   #16
briang2006
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, emails sent to [email address] appear rather quick.

I setup my (brian@mycompany.com) email address on the BIS website, but its been about 10 minutes since I emailed that address, and it still has yet to show up on the BB. Its definitely doing the "poll" or "check" every 15 minutes.

I need my (brian@mycompany.com) email instant! Just like the .vzw.blackberry.net emails.

How do I make it happen?
Old 12-28-2006, 12:30 AM   #17
roverlakers

Model: 8700

Is there anyway to decrease the polling time?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-28-2006, 01:37 AM   #18
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverlakers
Is there anyway to decrease the polling time?

Thanks,
Mike
Welcome to the forums....

No, it is not possible to decrease the polling time. You might want to give GMail a try. It's pretty much instant all the time.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:24 AM   #19
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Quote:
I use BIS with Yahoo Mail Plus & also Gmail. While I personally like Gmail I cannot endorse it. Yahoo mail is really fast and arrives as push mail should, it arrives at my 7130c before it arrives at my computer. I have done extensive testing as frankly I could not believe just how fast it is.
Gmail is just irratic. I never know what to expect, but its not as fast & reliable as yahoo.
In the case of the long delays you are experiencing. I would suggest you may have corrupt service books. This happened to me when I was using only Gmail, before adding my Yahoo acct later. I'm not suggesting it was caused by gmail it just occurred when Gmail was the only email client on my BlackBerry.
If you need instructions to do this let me know.
Cheers ...
Old 12-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #20
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by headtailgrep
Don't mind this person -- he's kinda right, but in the end, you really are just asking how can you get push e-mail to push faster?
Well, if you want to pick nits... I'm afraid you're "kinda right". You can't improve push speed. It's fixed and beyond your control.

However, you can bypass the POP polling time by forwarding mail to your *.blackberry.net address (or using Yahoo, etc) as you mentioned. If this approach is used, BIS should be configured to mimic the email account that is forwarding the mail to the *.blackberry.net address.

Don't give out the *.blackberry.net address. You can't entrirely eliminate spam but not giving it out will help minimize spam.

Last edited by takeshi; 12-28-2006 at 04:30 PM..
Closed Thread